Real Jeet Kune Do Instructors or Rippers ?? What is real and what is not?I Need Help!

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by myusername, Sep 8, 2002.

?

What is the best martial art?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2002.
  1. Jeet Kune Do

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Taekwondo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Aikido

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wing Chun

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. myusername

myusername New Member

Im so sad / confused and tired about Jeet Kune Do. I just joined a 'Jeet Kune Do' school , like they say but im not sure if they re teaching real and authentic Jeet Kune Do. They re calling it "Authentic'' and its name is Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do else as Jun Fan Gung Fu - Jeet Kune Do......The head instructor of this association is ''sifu'' Lamar . M Davis and his page is :

http://www.hardcorejkd.com/jkd/academy/index.php

Please someone tell me..... Is that real Jeet Kune do ? Im looking for real jeet kune do instructors, someone tell me if they re real and tell me also the difference between jeet kune do concepts ( burton richardson and dan insonato ) and between Jun Fan Gung Fu Jeet Kune do or how the **** they re calling it.... WHAT is real ? :(

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Kinda in a hurry right now but I can help - JKD politics is a minefield. There is no such thing as REAL JKD - it's all open to interpretation.

I'm in a somewhat unusual position though as on one hand I'm a JKD Concepts Instructor- my lineage in from the Inosanto family. BUT - Lamar is a good friend of mine and although we are on opposite sides of the political fence I can tell you that if what you want is JKD as Bruce Lee's material as he taught it to his students 30 years ago then you will do very well with Lamar. Personally I want more - I think things have and should progress - 30 years is a long time - things move on.

As another example you mention JKDC as taught by Burton & Guro Inosanto? You see - if you examined those two methods you would be looking at two vastly diferent approaches - everyone is different - Burton has taken what Guro Inosanto taught him and researched, modified & developed it to suit his own goals & objectives - THAT is JKD!

Conclusion - Lamar is a good guy, despite what those with more political agendas may tell you. If the training is enjoyable then do it - don't get caught up in the political "who's doing the REAL JKD" crap. There's only one man could tell you what that is and he died 30yrs ago.

As for your Poll - there IS a best martial art, but it's different for each individual - you'll have to create it yourself. Study, research, train, evaluate, measure progress - repeat...

Last edited: Sep 8, 2002
  3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

"My Jeet Kune Do is not your Jeet Kune Do." - Bruce Lee

4. myusername

myusername New Member

Thanks for answering me

By the way , you said that you know Lamar ..... right? Well , i was just thinking why he is that paranoid with his association... like he doesn't allow the usage of weapons (sticks , nunchackus, swords etc..) ???? and something else.... in Jun Fan Jeetkune do Beginner 1 level , what should they be teaching , and what is lamar and his representives re teaching (it may diff. from school to school) but ok...

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I wouldn't imagine that they 'should' be teaching anything, I thought the whole point of Jeet Kune Do was to encourage students to use and develops what works.

As for the use of weapons, makes perfect sense. You're hardly going to be carrying a weapon if you ever have to use your art, and if you are then you're gonna need a good lawyer to avoid a 'going equipped to commit a felony' charge.

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Well, I don't know Lamar but, having read some of his stuff, I believe that the reason he doesn't like weapons is that he doesn't consider it "pure" JKD. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion.

But ... to take a tangent here. Personally, I *always* have weapons handy. From the book I'm carrying to the clothes my attacker's wearing ... and anything else I can get my hands on. If I don't train with weapons then I won't even *think* to use any of these items which are there at my disposal. And, if I have a valid reason to carry the weapon (i.e.: I'm an avid reader so carrying a book is perfectly understandable) or, if I use an impromptu weapon from the environment, then I won't be in any more legal hot water than otherwise.

For me, the bottom line is this: inanimate objects, unlike my body, feel no pain and don't bleed.

So, if I can get my hands on an inanimate object and use it to save myself from some pain and/or bleeding (or worse) ... then I will. If I can't, then I'll use my body and worry about the pain/bleeding later (or not ... depends on whether I'm still functioning at a level where I *can* worry about it).

Another benefit of *training* with weapons: movement is movement. Training with weapons can do amazing things for your empty hand development.

Mike

7. HKD

HKD New Member

if you are this unhappy with wat you are learning then stop going. don't get up in arms over what he should be teaching, you don't know what he should be teaching and every person you ask will tell you something different. The main problem with JKD is Lee died B 4 he finished it and was working on movies more than JKD neer the end. He ws not 100% dedicated to JKD the last year or so of his life. L. davis has trained with alot of good jkd instructors and seems to B ok, i have never met him but he seems ok. but if your this bothered then stop going cuz you'll never B happy there.
    hope i helped some .

HKD

8. HKD

HKD New Member

does anyone know what myusrename did about his JKD problem?
    HKD

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

God i hate polls like this.

IT DEPENDS ON THE PRACTITIONER!!!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

Let see, we could arrange for Yip Man, Narayama, Dan Inosanto and (I'm not sure who's the ranking TKD guy now) put them in a pit and make them fight! What do you think!

Apart from the fact its a really stupid idea (I mean would you want to try and 'catch' one of them?) they are intellectuals and wouldn't do it!

And best for what? Fitness? Combat? Meeting women? Poncing about like a magnificent w***er?

Thanx

Breath deep, relax, count to 10.

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree Freeform, not a good poll, too many variables make it impossible to answer.

JKD is a real paradox. A JKD instructor must teach techniques of some description, but once they do, it goes against the philosophy of “Using no way as the way”, “Using no limitation as limitation”, “Using all ways : bound by none” and “style of no style”. But on the other hand anything goes!

What elements are core to JKD? Or are there none?

Could JKD be an art you can only teach the principles of, and it is only the practitioner that can learn the art themselves!?

11. YODA

Core elements

Here are some of the "Core Elements" of MY Jeet Kune Do...

Interception

Economy of motion

The goal of functionality at all ranges, with & without weapons.

A multi-cultural perspective - realising that no one art, style, culture or grand poobah has all the answers.

A focus on modern exercise science as a route to athletic excellence rather than heresay & ancient un-verifiable traditions.

The willingness to learn from anyone who has something to offer, whether that be a combative martial killing machine or a 10 year old gymnast (I took some private lessons with my 10yr old neighbour to improve my agility)

To judge myself on performance against resisting opponents rather than mass of technical knowledge or size of notebook.

12. morphus

morphus Doobrey

How nice to see someone from JKD saying that no-one is correct in 'their' version of JKD instead of arguing the case. Yoda, you seem to be truely open minded and that to me is the essence of JKD, judging by the writings of Bruce Lee that i've read; However that is only 'my' opinion of coarse!;)

13. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Thanks for you help Yoda, I feel like I better understand the principles of JKD now. I know theres a lot of politics surrounding JKD, but from what I’ve read over the past few years I feel that your interpretation is what Bruce Lee intended. Not that I think other interpretations are not valuable, just that I believe your approach to martial arts training is the best. And is close to what I want to do myself.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yoda, I feel that this is the attitude that all MA practitioners should exhibit.

By the way

How'd you do?

Thanx

15. YODA

I agree 100% Pity they don't - especially in JKD - Grrrr......

I did BAD at first but made some good progress with it - I can now do a cartwhell instead of a carthorse - LOL!

16. blue_r6

blue_r6 New Member

If I could give my 0.02 cent into this... I believe that alot of JKDx teachers out there would teach the JKD that they knew or what they preceived as to what Sigung Lee wanted and expected. I would like to see if any of you have seen or known of JKD teachers that when teaching JKD would follow not only the base form (Wing Chun) but also all the modified forms and techniques that is presumed to be the "TRUE" JKD. My point is that in all of Sigung Lee's interviews, written books by others, and various medium states that Sigung never wanted JKD to be a a defined form or art. In my prespective it is a formless and evolutionary martial arts method of self discovery. This is why I admire Guro Inosanto because he believes in underatanding the basics of the JKD Concept but adapts the same concept in expolartion of other arts that suit his individual nature. I think anyone who teaches just JKDx as the primary art and another MA such as Kali is questionable. I believe JKD, as a concept, practicioner would always, I stress always, continually work on developing and adapting other art forms to suit both their physical and mental stature. Thank for your time. :D

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
  17. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

And we have the usual misunderstanding about weapons arts such as FMA, yes you can train with the weapons and at the same time develop attributes that will enhance your empty hand skill. Also if attacked in the street this usually invloves some kind of weapon, and if you do not know how the weapon works then you will have less of a chance being able to counter it.

But then again some people think that the FMA is just stick fighting:bang:

Why do so many JKD people train in the FMA? is it because Dan does it? possibly.

Or could it be becuase there is so much it has to offer the practitioner with regards to real combat? More than likely. And isn't real combat what JKD is all about, or could I be wrong;)

Best regards

Pat

18. Stxsas

Stxsas Keep on Flowing..

rofl, you can say that again! FMA has a great deal to offer a JKDist..
    And it is not just all sticks, there are training knives aswell :D

19. Len

Len Valued Member

FMA works great with JKD concepts. So does Thai boxing, BJJ, Wing Chun, and western boxing. JKD is only going to be as good as #1 how much the practitioner is open minded/how hard he trains and #2 what part of what arts you choose to use in your pallette of techniques used instinctively through consistent training with various simulated attacks not preconceived or prearranged.

20. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

agree with len, the key thing is the person