Real bad situations

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tattooed Bear, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Who have used your arts to save your ass in a bad street situation? Who of you were successful? Anyone let down by their training when the S**T hit the fan?

Shou Shu saved my azz bigtime after only 6 months of training. I was laying on the street bleeding severely with several deep lacerations to the head and the top half of my ear cut off, after catching a bottle to the head from behind while fighting some recent parolees of Folsom prison. A big dude tried to stomp directly on my face with his combat boot, I woke up from the bottle strike just in time to see a boot coming at my face. I successfully blocked it, which left him open to a groin kick. I was able to get up and continue fighting till the cops showed up. Went to the hospital and got 25 stitches.

I'm not saying my art is better than anyone elses, just better for me. That would have been a bad time to find out I was studying a fancy, non combat effective art. I know someone will say I should have seen the bottle coming, but after only 6 months in the art I didn't have the presence of mind. At least it saved me from getting my brains stomped out. There are several people at my school who have been in life/death situations and lived due to their training.

I love to hear stories of people who fend off the scumbags on the street who try to victimize us. I especially love to hear stories of women who fend off rapists and other attackers who deserve to be beaten to death. :D

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Hey even the best of us can get blindsided sometimes!

Its sadly not like the movies when they attack one at a time - which I think it pretty unfair but hey.

I have used my training a few times and not overly please by it but it has worked a treat.

I have used the old - jab, cross, low style Thai kick and that dropped the guy.
    I have used a wrist lock
    I have bitten a guy (to get out of a painful headlock)
    Elbows, double leg takedown and even a textbook hip throw!

Its good to see it work but I can't help but think if I had not been as good as I was then I would have been in hospital for a long, long time.

Best of all I am pleased at how quick I have been able to drop people and that they have not got up to carry on fighting, this for me concreates that I can hit hard and fast. Also I have had to take a few of the cheapshots and I took em pretty well.

Still just shows that life fighting and dojo stuff is very different and its the emotional side that is often the driving factor in it.

3. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

i have to use it everyday but never for a situation thats too bad

4. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Geeze Shortfuse, what do you do that requires you to fight every day? Is it an occupational hazard like prison guard, bouncer, or cop? Or do you just get into trouble?

I'd post about the time I got jumped but I already posted about it under pay your dues and another forum about defending against group attack. Either way Shou Shu saved my ass because the short version goes fifteen on one for several minutes I stayed concious and protected my vitals. And I know there were suckas there who left looking worse than I did. Three weeks ago. I think.

5. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

6. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

well this aint anything big or wutever but last year i was hit by a guy named steve who i was gonna go out with. we were fooling around and i shoved him playfully and this one dude said hey don't let a bit** push you around that way go give her a smacking. steve said no i dont hit girls. and the dude said so just do it and before i knew it... i was hit by steve. my older brother chris the next day and his friends had fun with steve... they made his day hell! and after that i feared boys and i knew something had to be done... so i took tkd and u know what? i wish i can go back in time and to that day with my tkd training and block steve's hit and strike him.

7. totality

totality New Member

i like to beat my peers to death.

8. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Sonshu, I agree with what you said about taking damage. That's why I started my thread at the point which I was laying on the ground bleeding, that's when the true test of my training started. Any martial artist can hit someone in self defense, but how do you fight with blood in your eyes? I tell ya, you're alot touhger than you think when your life's on the line. I know there's alot of you here with good stories, let's here them. That's why we train, sure it's nice to better yourself and be in top shape mentally, physically, and spiritually, but the bottom line is saving your life and the lives of your loved ones.

9. Sonshu

Thats the nice thing about it

When your up against it you can still pull something out of the bag.

10. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Hey Sonshu, I am also 205 lbs, of beerdrinkin' machine. ha ha, j/k. :D

To all of you who think you are good at defending yourself, if you've never defended yourself in a serious situation, how do you know? The US army taught me, "train like you fight, because you fight like you train". I'm not baggin' on anyone or any art, just the way I've seen some arts trained, and my exposure to ma is not that vast, just what I've seen. I've seen people seriously hurt by street thugs.

And to anyone who says, "use a gun then", what about when you go to prison for using said gun? You'll either get good with your hands or your azz, your choice. :eek:

11. Sonshu

Hey

Cool

Nice weight to be, mine is not so beer induced just sitting on my ass at work induced.

Still all power!

:cool:

12. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I get into small fights all the time at school. It usually ends with someone yelling, "Teacher!". Just yesterday, I got hit in the mouth and my lip got cut. I still can't smile without it hurting. :(

13. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

This is so true. I was institutionalized for flipping out some punk azz kid who tried to step up over a girl. Anyway, they put me in a 5250 with all these crazies and my cellmate was a freaking pervert. He would jerk off and moan real loud when we were trying to sleep. The first night I was there I was all drugged up because they had to sedate me. The second he tried to make an advance at me but I chocked him out with a pillow case (that's one thing I picked up from my bros is to use anything as a weapon so I took the case off and kept it under the pillow. He came at me and I kicked him in the nuts then strangled him. You can never punk out in situations like that.

14. maverickv1x

maverickv1x New Member

I love to hear stories of people who fend off the scumbags on the street who try to victimize us. I especially love to hear stories of women who fend off rapists and other attackers who deserve to be beaten to death. :D[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah!

That's the reason why I took up Shou Shu instead of something else. The minute I figured out that it isn't about looking good, it's about staying alive and destroying somebody while you're at it...I was sold on it instead of this other school I was going to go to.

Now, I'd never go lookin' for a fight, no way. But some dudes out there need to get broken and taught, and I'm glad now I have the confidence and the mindset to do it. And the training, too! I can wait for it, sure, but I'd sure LIKE to see my training in action sometime.

15. Tattooed Bear

Tattooed Bear New Member

Hell yeah!

That's the reason why I took up Shou Shu instead of something else. The minute I figured out that it isn't about looking good, it's about staying alive and destroying somebody while you're at it...I was sold on it instead of this other school I was going to go to.

Now, I'd never go lookin' for a fight, no way. But some dudes out there need to get broken and taught, and I'm glad now I have the confidence and the mindset to do it. And the training, too! I can wait for it, sure, but I'd sure LIKE to see my training in action sometime.[/QUOTE]

Yeah 8, I feel ya on the jail story. I had to break a #2 pencil off in a 320 lb dude's arm in a military prison when I was 19. I was aiming for his lung, but he blocked with his arm. He gave up and cried like a b**ch when I snapped it off. ;) You have to use anything you have.