re niinpo and bjj

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dead_pool, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I wasn't implying it is worthless, just that it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's teaching a mass production version of certain elements of his ryu-ha.

It seems pretty apparent that there's a huge smoke screen going on with what is taught and how it is taught. That's not to say it is of no use just that I can see why PR says what he does.

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You'd be a fool to think otherwise given the subject matter of what he's inherited.

Also to be honest Niinpo I'd have thought you would have grasped some of the subtleties of communication in Japan by now, especially given who you were listening to.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Depends on what you mean. He's Japanese, and a ninja. So if he says, "Good, play," maybe he means just that play, because you are a kid and you need to be on the playground instead of in the dojo with the big boys. If he isn't correcting you or telling you how you are doing it wrong and how to get better, he isn't teaching you, he is stroking your ego and you are buying it.

I'll refresh people's memory, in a traditional art, those who are in the line of transmission get traditional ranks. If you have been training for 10 or 15, or even 30 years but you do not have any traditional ranks, you should wonder why.:thinking: Coming up with convenient excuses does not cut it.

4. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

To quote Don Roley (because Niinpo frequently insists PR must either not be in the Bujinkan due to not toeing the megadan line, or has no validity due to being anonymous),

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

RE: why would he teach proper ninjutsu?

I would have though to continue to spread the art, and to improve?

6. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i don't think it's about spreading or improving the art chadderz. i think it's only about transmitting the art.

7. George Kohler

George Kohler Valued Member

To improve what? To be a spy? He doesn't need to spread it since it was not meant for the masses.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

If you care so much about dispelling myths why not show us what you are talking about, show us the ground skills that you say exist in the 9 ryu, show us what real ninjitsu looks like, you seem to care since you reply so many times on threads telling people they don't have any real skill or learning , you can always wear your mask if you want to remain anonymous :)

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Until someone can post an actual decent clip of ninjitsu are you sure its right to say he has been fed a lie, or is he simply reflective of the art as it really is

10. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the claim being made here that there exists extensive newaza in some of the ryu-ha, rather than in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu? The argument seems to be somewhat across purposes, considering that the latter is openly taught and the former isn't.

Just thinking aloud.

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I thought that BJJ was in the running for the top of the heap ground fighting discipline. So honestly if someone is going to fill in the gaps of their TYR with BJJ they are going to be just fine.. Besides if TYR was such a beast on the ground, it would be the go to ground fighting art.

So i guess my question is, does TYR newaza rate before or after judo in the newaza pecking order?

Submission wrestling and BJJ are he unequivocal tops of ground fighting.

Edit to add Simon Yeo's ichimonji looks nearly identical to ichimonji as i have seen it on numerous videos of Soke and the Senior Japanese Shihan. So care to point out what he is doing wrong with it?

12. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Your argument is invalid as most of the shihan you would point them to as legit have extensive prior judo experiance. Which means they will have good ground fighting skills...

Looking at the GJJ website their system has over 700+ techniques with more added every day by high level competitors. How can TYR even ever hope to be more then a Warm up beginners course compared to just your average BJJ hobbyist blackbelt?

13. Please reality

You do realize the fallacy in your argument right?:dunno: How did a janitor or pro wrestler beat it? We aren't trying to compete, fighting is not only about one facet or skill. It is about being able to do to your opponent before he does unto you. There is more than groundfighting found in these arts, there are weapons, throwing, grappling, transitions, kneeling and seated techniques, and groundfighting. So again, a seemless entity. Again though, if you want to learn the differences, you have to learn the curriculum from a legitimate and knowledgable source. No amount of explanation will help without that. And if Simon's videos look the same as the Japanese masters to you, then there isn't much hope. I already pointed out the most basic and glaring flaws(of course there were others), but without developing the eyes to see, being told all those flaws doesn't really help you or your practice.

14. Please reality

Not my job.

You answered your own question, it isn't possible to maintain anonymity and post videos. My answer still is train with the Shihan, I'm not telling anyone to train with me or buy my course or whatever and I don't care what people think of my ability. Those who know me know and my teacher and his teacher are the people I look to for correction. Anyone else's opinion is irrelevant.

No, you can't be sure unless you have felt what the masters can do for yourself. So either get that experience or remain in the dark.

15. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Couldn't that same logic be flipped, though? What I mean is that there must have been some draw for people who were dedicated and successful judoka (among other martial arts) to start training with this new teacher and devoting their practice to his arts.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

At the risk of sounding like an apologist, in my JKD curriculum we do not try and out ju jutsu the jujutsu guys...we just have to stop them from ju jutsuing us

It is perfectly possible to have groundfighting as a component discipline and have said component not be as high a standard

Now with that said I DO practice CACC/BJJ for that facet of my game because I consider them superior for what I do; its not inconceivable there is a Japanese ryu that blends better with the other ninja bits

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Pr sorry that answer will not fly. You specifically said his foot position was flawed(among other things). His angled foot was identical to every other ichimonji have have seen from soke.. When his foot was at more of a 90degree angle, i have seen SOKE do that as well, during the Kamae demonstration on the Koto ryu dvd.

So sorry mate, you didnt actually point out any flaws at all.

18. Please reality

Or you are paying attention to the wrong foot. Without the eyes to see, you will never get this art.

19. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

It was pointing forward, lol what more can it do..

20. Please reality

It's not really funny, learning to see the differences is how you get ahead in martial arts. It's not pointing forward, look at the line between the two feet, and look at the knee. The rest, ask your teacher(assuming they can answer it).