re niinpo and bjj

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Dead_pool, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Aint that for sure! :)

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

My point isn't that these things never happen, but if you're capable of smacking someone over with a harai goshi, you're probably switched on enough to not let them get their hands around your throat in the first place, which makes the scenario feel quite contrived.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Even monkeys fall out of trees...

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That's why I collect them. Easy to source :)

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

What's contrived is showing a minor application/variation rather than a fundamental base position from which you can work variations.
    E.g. Muay Thai - you learn to clinch, it's a fundamental position that has variations like breaking a clinch or controlling it is not different from someone choking you both hands IMO.

Being switched on - the power dynamics of abuse mean that someone who is being abused isn't switched on when being abused regardless of their skill set. I know many large and physically capable young men with a good level of rugby, boxing and even judo backgrounds who were choked with both hands by men much smaller and less skilled than them.

The trust and power dynamic really between people skews "being switched on"

6. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

This brings up an interesting question. How does Simon Yeo feel about your philosophy of self-defence? If you're from the same background (judo then Bujinkan) does he share your thoughts regarding Bujinkan's applications towards Self Defence?

7. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

Yes I think so, we have often chatted about this and we have similar philosophies - a pragmatic approach based on real experience, and that Buj training has to be applied with a "keep it real" approach - and question why you are doing something, what is the application etc.

He feels that Buj training needs augmenting with BJJ ground fighting in case it goes to the floor, more than I do. But he comes and trains in my dojo when I have guest instructors and visa versa. Put it this way, next time I am in self-defence situation Simon would be one guy I would appreciate next to me.

8. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

He has a book out that goes over his philosophy and also demonstrates some of his techniques. His videos have already been looked at here and though I'd rate him over Jake, there isn't much I've seen from either that demonstrates something I'd want to try on the streets if my life depended on it.

Both were looked into in these threads:

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98033

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96977

Some might note that Simon's taijutsu has been influenced a lot by his bjj training, as one might expect on the ground but not as much in standup. Since many never learn all of the Takagi curriculum, they often look outside the art to fill a gap in their understanding.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  9. Niinpo

Niinpo 万変不驚 Banpen Fugyo

lol - you alway get so serious and turn it into something personal or competitive, we were having a lovely chat before you came along, is there an element of jealousy perhaps?

10. Please reality

Dear me, sounds like you are the one taking it personal. I am just putting out information. For example, here is Simon's distillation of all he learned concerning ichimonji:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfvLvVaI5ts"]Ichimonji No Kata Principles - YouTube[/ame]

However, from the foot position, footwork, and arm placement on, there are lots of issues with using this video as a model for a correct and effective ichimonji. That doesn't mean Simon isn't a nice guy, just that he hasn't really learned ichimonji.;) If Simon knew all of Takagi, he wouldn't have felt the need to learn bjj. These are separate but related issues. If you don't know something, you cannot properly teach it and you might look elsewhere to make up for that lack of knowledge also. Same pattern repeating.

11. JibranK

JibranK Valued Member

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I don't think I saw Ichimonji once in that video.

(That is not to say that a RGA black belt couldn't dominate someone in a fight. Of course, but that's not what I'm talking about.)

12. holyheadjch

I do enjoy the exceptionalism of ninjustsu fanatics.

"he wouldn't have felt the need to learn BJJ" - that's a good one, it really is.

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

lol. it's because only ninjas know how to fight in reality. me? if someone attacks me, first i'm going to be confused because there's no ref. or clock around. second, i'm going to have no idea what to do. i'll suppose i'll just immediately fall on my back and go into spider guard.

14. Please reality

Um, nothing fanatical about that comment. The ryu in question goes over standing, kneeling, and techniques on the ground as well as punches, throws, grappling, weapons, etc. The originator of it was every bit the Helio Gracie figure but with armed confrontations more so than unarmed. Now if you knew aikijutsu, perhaps you wouldn't see the need to learn Hapkido, even if Hapkido was known to be good in competition. Nothing against bjj, but no need to start drinking acai juice if you already have your aojiru(drink).:D

15. holyheadjch

Simon Yeo is a Roger Gracie blackbelt - he has forgotten more about fighting on the ground than any Ninjutsu practitioner has ever learned.

16. Please reality

See, this is the kind of nonsense that sounds fanatical. :banana: What do you know about what is in Takagi Yoshin ryu, or any of the other ryu in the Takamatsuden? Or beyond that, what other arts ninjutsu practitioners might've learned outside of these arts? Ground fighting didn't start with bjj and it's not the only game in town, sorry Charlie.

17. holyheadjch

Show me some stuff then. Find me some videos of th3 d3adly ninja ground fighting.

If they learned it outside of ninjutsu, then it didn't come from ninjutsu did it?

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

as a black belt in hapkido, i'm here to tell you hapkido is bovine manure. so i don't think your example is making the point you think it's making. not a surprise really.

19. icefield

icefield Valued Member

let me see if I can sum it up, if you train the real ninja skills under the real masters in their schools you will learn the real skills, all those videos we see are of people that look terrible are from people that don’t know the real ninja skills because they haven’t trained with the real masters, or if they did weren’t indoor real disciples and didn’t get the real ninja skills from their teachers and teach an inferior version of the art. Of course the real masters and their disciples don’t see the need to post clips to prove what they are talking about, but do see the need to type endlessly about it
    Related argument one If you do get the real ninja skills you don’t need to learn BJJ because real ninjitsu covers everything in BJJ and is all you need for combat
    Related argument two you don’t need to test your art against resistance or other schools because proper ninjutsu is all you need
    Honestly with these arguments about lineage, real knowledge, just doing compliant training methods and not needing to add anything to your art, I have to ask is ninjitsu related to wing chun at all?

20. Please reality

You were doing good up till here. Guys, you don't have to agree or even like it. Just deal with it. If you ever come to Japan, you can even challenge one of the masters and see if you can knock them out or tap them out. Good luck with that.;)