Rate teacher and dojos?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by khafra, Mar 6, 2002.

1. khafra

khafra New Member

Y'know, we need a thread, or even a forum, where people can rate teachers and dojos, and/or ask for suggestions in their area.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2002
  2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Firstly sorry for moving you khafra but I felt this had more relievance in this section and we will probably get a few replys to this.

Maybe you could expand on that idea khafra or anyone else for that matter.

It's a good idea but I have to admit I am kind of dubious about the rating teachers and clubs section as I don't want to see anyone getting bad press on the boards by people who have a grudge against them for instance. Not all schools and teachers are compatible to every student so it is unfair for someone to come on and say I hated that school for whatever reason while there are students at the school who love it. I have come across a lot of instructors who I have disliked for one reason or another yet other people thought they were great.

The martial arts are an individual thing what is good for one person might not be good for another. So this is why I feel we would be on dangerous ground rating schools and teachers.

If we could find a way to positively rate a school or teacher i.e. why you enjoyed it or even why you did not like it as a personal view, then this might work as long as it was constructive.

A good thing might be to let people know when there is a seminar due and how they rate the teacher taking the seminar. This is just an idea let me know what you think.

Cooler

Last edited: Mar 6, 2002
  3. khafra

khafra New Member

That's a good point I hadn't considered on the ratings. Perhaps a short review would be better. To distinguish, for instance, between a Taiji teacher who focuses on health from one who focuses on combat applications.
    The topic definitely belongs here, though, I only put it there because it was that thread that made the idea pop up. Seems like on any martial arts forum or mailing list there's always people asking for a teacher in a specific style in their area, and other people who have something to say (usually good) about a specific teacher or school.

4. Cooler

Sounds like a good idea I like the idea of letting people know what area a certain teacher focuses on.

Any ideas what we would call this section.

Cooler.

5. khafra

khafra New Member

Hm....
    First thing that came to mind:

Schools & Teachers
    Trying to learn a style, but can't find a teacher in your area? Have info about a school you'd like to share? Post your questions and answers here

6. Cooler

Well sounds good to me we will give it a shot.

Cooler

7. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I thing its a good idea as long as we dont bash a school. Its good to inform the public on a school good or bad but we also need to say that thats just our thoughts. We dont need a big slander case for destroying someones school. But i like the idea and i think it could work.

-Chazz

8. khafra

khafra New Member

Valid concern. I think, though, that most people whose experience at their school left them interested enough in martial arts to come to this forum wouldn't have anything too bad to say about it.
    I've never really heard anybody come down harshly on any school or teacher when they were asked about it. Hopefully that's the way it works out.