Rapping Up Canelo

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by belltoller, Sep 6, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Anyone else here like Alvarez besides meself?

Anyone else think Alvarez a great boxer with heart and a compelling story?

Anyone else also think Canelo will be heading into, ahh - round 4, say - and realise that he's bitten off far more than he can chew?

Of course, Floyd will have been waiting for just that look in Canelo's eyes which will have the effect of priming Mayweather's more primal instincts.

That will happen.

The question is, does Alvarez have what it takes to reach down and pull out something he's never had to reach for in the past and shock Mayweather, or will Alvarez's dismay at vastly underestimating Floyd overtake him?

I think Canelo has a grueling lesson to learn. Hopefully he won't wilt, hopefully he hasn't really bought the hype surrounding him and the ordeal makes him the better.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles/17170-the-ultra-even-keeled-canelo-qi-still-think-floyds-at-his-peakq

2. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I'm a big Canelo fan and my heart literally starts beating faster when I think about fight night. I am very interested how Canelo will deal with a loss. I think Canelo has 20-25% chance to win, so yeah, Canelo would need to bring his A game for that to happen.

I think Canelo will notice right away that Floyd has intimidating skill, but from what I've seen Canelo has a good chin and seems mentally strong. If he can actually deal with being out-skilled for most of the fight, I don't know. I imagine that's a very disheartening thing to deal with in a fight. But I think he already realizes and is preparing for that to happen. By now he probably knows more about Floyd than most Floyd fans, he's not blind. That's not to say he doesn't have a chance however. Canelo is a decently technical fighter with good power and a strong physique. A fighter like that can make any fight difficult with the right game plan.

But honestly, it's quite likely Canelo will lose and I'm interested in seeing how he will come back from that.

JMM seemed to have come back stronger from that experience, I hope that's a Mexican thing. :p

3. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, I like Alvarez. It's hard not to. However, Mayweather is special. I think Alvarez only chance is to land something really big. Even if he did, Mayweather is a real tough dude. He has an excellent chin and can dig deep when need be. He doesn't always get credit for that. I believe he hits harder than people think too. Mayweather isn't a big guy, but no one walks through his shots. When he connects he stops people in their tracks.

4. belltoller

^ My thoughts exactly. Its nearly a done deal, AFAIC. Its the aftermath that has a question mark, and is therefore the more interesting.

After 40 some odd wins, which are ingrained in a far deeper part of him than any analytical thinking; there has to be a part of him that believes Mayweather will perform as the others did - regardless of knowing differently in his head.

When the tunnel vision begins to take over in the ring, all that is forgotten and fighters rely on their natural instincts - those instincts are what separate the true elite from the rest.

Everyone of us fall back on "what we know" when push comes to shove.

5. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I just hope Canelo doesn't throw those wild haymakers like he likes to do on a bad day. If he can give Mayweather a good fight, that would be enough for me.

However, it's not all that strange to think that Mayweather may have bitten off more than he can chew this time. He's 36, he broke his hand again in the last fight and he has to move up in weight for the fight against a young strong man. To be honest, if Mayweather wins this fight I'll consider it one of his best (if not the best) achievements he has ever gotten in the world of boxing.

I'd be upset about Canelo losing, but I would start rating Mayweather as one of the best ever. Because aside from Pacquiao, he beat pretty much everyone.

6. belltoller

I think I'd still rate Mayweather as one of the best ever, even if he happens to loose this one - though, despite his age, his hand and whatnot, I've a good notion he will win.

Sometimes a single loss, which ordinarily is just that -something one learns from and dusts themselves off - sometimes with certain fighters it begins a rapid decline - more psychological than age or anything else.

I don't see Mayweather being complacent in this one and if that is the case and he brings it, I just think Canelo, as fine a young boxer is there is, just doesn't have the experience yet.

Its as much life experience, methinks, than it is necessarily ring experience - if you follow.

7. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I actually came back to the forum just to post about this and noticed this thread. A lot of my thoughts have already been mentioned in this thread.

As belltoller mentioned, I too believe the 4th round is where Canelo is going to start realizing he "bit off more than he can chew". It probably won't be until round 8 where he'll start getting pretty much owned where Floyd will be picking his shots left and right as he usually does in the later rounds after his opponents are frustrated.

I'd love to see Canelo win but here's a crazy, pessimistic theory of mine...

We all know the sport of boxing is insanely corrupted when it comes to the politics, right? Well, if I were a corrupt promoter/organization and I foresaw likely one of the biggest boxing fights (financially), I'd probably want a rematch. So if Canelo scores on the cards close enough, I think it'll be tipped in his favor and a rematch would be instantly signed in blood.

8. belltoller

Its clearly evident that great minds think alike :hat:

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Four more days. Feels like I'm a kid waiting for Christmas to come around.

10. belltoller

You've officially won best post award for this thread

11. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

heheh

12. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

Sorry to say this but I'm actually looking forward to Matthysse-Garcia even more. I've been waiting for that big-headed bum Garcia to get his butt handed to him for a while now. Way too much ego and too big of a mouth on his daddy. Can't wait for him to get dropped.

13. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

If Floyd loses, it will be from age. Canelo is an ok kid, and I certainly don't dislike him. Win or lose however, he stock will still rise and will continue PPV fights. Assuming that Cotto beats Rodriguez in his next fight... it's very possible we could see that fight. Delvin however, is no push over. I've watched him a lot on Friday night fights many times and he will be training very hard for this fight. Meanwhile... Cotto, for some stupid reason has now gone over to Freddie roach to be trained which IMO will ruin his underrated boxing skill since Freddie only knows face first boxing.

14. belltoller

That depends. Which is what we were all going on about earlier. The fellow is young (IMHO) in his career for this one. Methinks he'd been better off doing this gig a year or two down the road.

But of course, that'd put a big question mark on Floyd's status. I could see why Saul wants a Mayweather closer to his prime.

But now, did ya have a load of this?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1768912-oscar-de-la-hoya-checks-into-rehab-facility?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=boxing

I really don't know the real relationship there - doubtful if La Hoya would be corning Alverez - who's obviously had his own people long before he met Oscar - but this can't be good, any way you look at it.

Oscar's timing is impeccable...

I'd say that however the fight goes, Saul Alverez is quite done with Golden Boy after its over.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

One thing that does concern me about Mayweather is his hands. Didn't he hurt it in his last fight? That wasn't that long ago. It was only May. I wonder what would happen if he damaged it again fairly early in the fight. Watching Access All Areas suggests he still has trouble.

16. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

I haven't watched the Showtime series for this fight this time. I thought they kept saying his hand problems were under control now and that he was gonna go for the KO? Interesting analysis if it's accurate. Canelo is a big enough guy that it could pose an issue and if that were to happen, there's a very high probability that Canelo would capitalize on it. People don't give Canelo enough credit for having a high IQ in the ring, he would notice it fast (not that it takes a high IQ to realize someone's hurt his hands...).

17. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, he did hurt his hand and goes through hand therapy on a daily basis.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Canelo's ring IQ has only been truly demonstrated in one fight which was against Trout, which was still a close fight. Really, what great... scratch that, what even GOOD fighter has he fought besides that? Not to mention the fact that many of them are not 1, but 2 weight classes below him. Floyd could easily go down to 140 and finish out his career there... Canelo will be lucky to make the 152 lb limit and will likely weigh no less than 170 lbs on fight night... Floyd MIGHT weigh 155.

19. Saved_in_Blood

Anyone can get caught with a good shot, but Canelo was buzzed pretty good by Miguel Cotto's little brother who is a 140 lb fighter, also remember Matthew Hatton landed a lot of shots on him... he just has no power, Canelo couldn't put him away. He's not this monster puncher that people make him out to be. Mosley claims he and Floyd both hit about as hard actually.

20. Saved_in_Blood

DeLaHoya plays both ends to the middle all the time. Golden boy and Mayweather promotions almost always are together. Oscar can't let his loss go and for some reason feels the close scores mean that he was close, when in reality, he was landing nothing of note, whereas Floyd was landing 1 or 2 punches at a time, but it was basically whenever he wanted to land them. Oddly enough, it's Floyd that is making Oscar a whole lot of money. Canelo would too, but Canelo wouldn't go to long before a defeat after facing his first truly elite fighter IMO.