Rapid Arnis DOES work!

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Damien Alexander, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

Now that I have recovered from the adrenaline dump; I can type now.

On my way to class tonight; I got jumped by 5 guys.
    (rapid arnis people can count too!)
    I made contact with 3 and hauled a$$ out of there and over a 9 foot fence.
    I got a lotta a$$; so that was feat in itself!
    Living in the UK, the law preffers you die rather than carry a PROPER equaliser.
    Sorry folks; but a "biro"(PEN) would have been frikken useless tonight!

I had a proper stick(sort of) and anything less,I would have been cornholed!

The score went like this:
    1st person;
    Punyo-1
    Face- wrecked!
    2nd person;
    Straight thrust-1
    Face-wrecked
    3rd person;
    Redondo-1
    Hand BROKE!

I was told by another RA instructor a few years back who does wing chiken(sorry CHUN) that if you don't learn anything else in rapid arnis; you will learn one thing...... HOW TO FIGHT.
    He was right.

Thanks Pat.

D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2008
  2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Glad you survived unscathed. Plus you road tested your art and found it worked well. Cheers....

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hahaha! Nice one, 3 out of 5 aint half bad, especially if the other 2 did not get a chance anyway. And your right that is a whole heap of A** to haul over a fence:eek:

I told Lucy about it, she laughed and said "Now he knows the crap we put him through on gradings is for a reason":D She also want's one of those flute stick thingies as she is a dam good flute player and her comments where "What if I get attacked and I cant use my knowledge to the max simply because I dont have the tools with me, I want one, get me one NOW" I hate it when the wife talks sense:rolleyes:

I suppose those guys had a Rapid Response moment eh!, they tried, you respond and they rapidly realise they where out numbered, as I said that is a whole lot of A** to haul :D

Well done mate it's good to know it does it's job when required.

Best regards

Pat

4. Pat OMalley

Did'nt you stop and recruit them for you class:rolleyes: I would have thought that would have been a great first lesson for them:D

But next time you make sure you take out all 5, plus anyone else that knows them, otherwise you fail your next grading:yeleyes:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  5. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Awesome!

I don't walk around carrying sticks or weapons. I've always wondered how weapons-bases martial artists are prepared.

What was the stick you used, and were you cocked and ready to use it before the attack? Are you always prepared like that, or were you just lucky you were carrying a stick that night? What kind of stick was it?

Thanks in advance...

6. Damien Alexander

I'm gonna go post flyers tomorrow at the site it happened at!

;-)

7. Damien Alexander

The "sort of stick" I had was a custom made shakuhachi flute by a guy in Anaheim California. You can find him on the net. Goes by the name "stickman". I forget his real name. Pat knows him.
    There are things out there that are designed for improvisation,but you have to look carefully.
    Previous to FMA, I did 20 years of japanese styles(still love that reverse punch!)but to be more realistic, as I get older,the young guys get faster.
    I get smarter ;-) I know there is no way in hell I am going to fare any better against 5 guys with knives with just my bare hands. It's a total dream to think I can. Not without killing someone. And the UK courts frown on killing,even in self defense.
    And no, I wasn't cocked and loaded. really :D
    I had the flute sticking out of my back pack.
    When I reached for it; it was in the perfect position to pull out like the Blade sword(from the movies) and land a perfect shot with a punyo strike into the guys face(on the right side) with one motion which left me set up do hit the other guy on my left with a direct thrust to the pie hole.
    Cept he won't be eating pie any time soon. His hole is all swole up about now ;-)
    And for the record; it IS a flute and works as a flute!

8. Damien Alexander

aw damn pat. thats cold.
    now I gotta go all confederate and go huntin just to bring you a scalp.
    :woo:

9. shootodog

shootodog restless native

does the flute still work? i mean does it still work as a flute? because if it doesn't, its now a baston parading as a flute ready to do the work of a baston ;)

10. ScorpioVI

ScorpioVI New Member

11. Pat OMalley

The guys name is Jeff Finder, and you forgot to tell them these scrotts pulled a knife.

Good work and I hope you played a tune to them too.

We could make a film out of it called the Silent Flute, but your too dam noisy for that, so maybe you can make a DVD called full contact flute playing:D

See you soon flute boy and you better be playing a good tune at the Black Eagle meet in April;) :cool:

Best regards

Pat

12. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

That's really clever (flute stick)! And I see in the other post they pulled a knife on you. Good work!

13. Pat OMalley

No not really, he left two standing:D Black mark against his name this comming May when he tries out for the instructor test me thinks, just the 5 hours with no breaks long hahaha.

Oh by the way 'D' That does not count as your 5 against 1 section of your grading in May, you have to do that again up against people that really know what there doing:yeleyes:

Best regards

Pat

14. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

Hey Damien

Ha Ha Ha The Pied Piper of Rapid Arnis. Nice one Bro.

Did you work to a plan...or just play it by ear!

Glad you came out of it alright after having to use to well-tuned techniques.

Take care and I hope to see you soon.

Peter

15. Damien Alexander

Thats the one!

I have the longer version. The 28 inch length.
    But, in my honest opinion,since having actually used it now; I would recommend a shorter version.
    The website clearly states that the longer the stick,the more risk to the intergity. It is very light,does thrusts a treat!, but I do believe that body shots wouldn't do much justice. Swinging shots, that is.
    Now, to be fair, I have the same length without the holes. It is still hollow,but no "background" music when whoopin off, and it has a much better weight with a more solid feel.
    As usual, I leave it up to personal choice.

Damien

16. Damien Alexander

your just mean.

;)

17. Damien Alexander

I did forget to mention that one did have a knife that I saw.
    He got the Redondo to the hand.

There is something else I want to mention about FMA instruction, or instruction in general.
    In all my years in the martial arts and the FMA actually taking up a small part of it(but getting bigger ;)), the one thing I look for now is not just what the system has to offer, but how it is offered.
    Before I signed on to Rapid Arnis; I did my research on the system and the founder. When I found what I wanted, I went for it.
    It wasn't exactly the techniques that intrigued me, it was the mindset of who I was being taught by.
    Being an instructor myself long before getting into the fma, I am damn picky about who I train under. And being biased in that way, I have found 2 other instructors that I consider who have the same mentality I have and can relay info as I require.
    Those 2 being Pat O'Malley and Peter Lewis.
    Now; do NOT jump to conclusions here people! I am not down playing any other instructors out there. I am just saying that those 2 are the ones I have found most screwed up in the head, just like myself, and that what I need to learn.
    Although my experience with peter is limited; we have chatted via email and at the ocassional seminar and I got the feel I look for.
    I'm not saying that anybody's technique is any better than anyone else's; what I am saying is, the mindset is different. It's what *I* look for.
    I thought about this long and hard last night and this is why I am posting this.
    Pat and Peter come from completely different backgrounds.
    But thier mindset is what I look for. When you get to train for the ocassional seminar; you learn the technique. When you become a student, you learn the art. But if that art is relayed without the mindset YOU require; it's a loss.
    To quote my grandaddy:" getting whooped with a stick is getting whooped with a stick,regardless of what language it's done in".
    What happened to me last night didn't go in my favour because of what I was taught,but HOW I was taught and with the mindset I needed.
    So when you want to learn, take a good look at the instructor.
    Not just the system.
    Anyone can teach technique. But not everyone can instill confidence with that technique.
    There are other instructors I HIGHLY recommend,but those 2 stand out in MY book the most.

I hope you all get where I am coming from.
    I have no intentions to inflame here. I will train with almost anyone and I apologise to anyone who I may have offended.
    I respect MOST instructors out there(some can just bite me and I won't lie about that!) and I wish all of the best in what you do and I encourage you to make the best choices YOU require and not just take someone else's word for it! (some people think pat and peter are just basketcases!,but that's thier choice)

Good luck to you all!
    AND FIGHT LIKE CAVEMEN WHEN YOU NEED TO!!!
    :D

Damien

18. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

Thats awesome bro,

Sounds like you really "BLEW" them away. Its nice to HEAR the tables being turned for once and that you gave them a WHISTLE stop guide to FMA....

HOH

19. BakbakanFighter

BakbakanFighter Valued Member

Sounds like you strike the right NOTE with them, and they were QUAVERING in their boots...

20. Damien Alexander

yep.
    I detect a hint of PETER LEWIS influence in there!
    ;)

See what mean y'all?!?

tain't right in the head!

:D