randori tips anyone?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Jordan, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Kitanryu

Kitanryu New Member

In Senso Ryu

I just wanted to know how many schools move past Taninsu Gake after Randori or does Aikido not do that?

James

2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

The word randori is causing some confusion here.

In some forms of aikido randori is multiple attackers on one person (usually based around kokyu or projections).

In other forms randori means one attacker who can make up his own mind which attacks to use and will try to keep random so as to pressure his partner.

Other forms use randori to mean 1 v 1, with both people trying to apply techniques on each other.

There are also other meanings.

I am not posting this to offend anyone or to imply a lack of knowledge. I can just see some confusion developing :)

3. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Re: In Senso Ryu

What is Taninsu Gake, James?

4. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

Randori was actually developed by Jigoro Kano (as well as the kyu/dan belts).... Randori is used a lot in Tomiki Aikido because Tomiki practiced with Kano...

Randori means free sparring and in Judo there is no 2 v 1, 4v1, 8v1, and so on and so on its only 1 on 1 (similiar to western boxing's sparring)... it was simply a means to "try out" the techniques in a more unplanned "unkata-like" environment

now o sensei used to do this but since he was o sensei (and a lil nut) he would have eight attackers with jo's and bo's and bokken's (oh my!).... so now many aikidokas mistake randori for it being a mandatory thing for multiple attackers... it's simply another form of randori...

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

hmm 4 man attack with bokkens .... think I'll sudgest that to my teacher .... he's in a kinda experamental mode right now ... ehehehehhe ... uh pray I survive lol ..