Random Attack Caught on CCTV

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by inthespirit, May 31, 2006.

1. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

agreed....
    let's arm everyone
    in schools
    work
    court houses
    planes
    trains and
    automobiles
    because EVERYONE that is not a criminal is stable right
    and guns do not kill people.. people do
    and only the crimals have guns
    and once you use the gun.. your a ....

wait.. i take all that back

because it is obviously flawed lol

2. xen

xen insanity by design

interesting idea...

first, people are allowed to fight back, so we have that right already.

the simple fact is that the reason more people don't is that they don't know how to. The law doesn't stop someone from defending themselves, the pressure of the situation combined with the sanitised cultural conditioning we go through prevents the majority of people having the capacity to act appropriately.

look at the clip again, the guys picked on two people who posed no threat, they weren't aware of the potential danger, they were lost in their own world and then bang! a knife drops in to break up the party.

lets say the guy who ultimately got chased off had pepper-spray, how would that have helped the situation? at best he'd have got one of them, with the other two well out of range...

logically, what would happen next? do you think they would have just helped their mate up and appologised?

or do think they would have cornered the guy and finished him off as well?

but lets take the logic a bit further and say the govt get forced, by an upswell of public opinion, to legalise people carrying blades for the purposes of self-defence, due to this massive increase in knife crime we hear so much about.

what limits are we going to put on the type of blades we carry in self-defence? because if that reality ever comes close, i'm going to be lobbying for the right to wear a katana in public. That should act as sufficient deterant, whose going to attack someone carrying a katana?

well, someone with another katana might.

soon the whole population are dan-grades at iai-jutsu and all the local shopping centres look like some grotesque modernised version of feudal Japan.

the cops nightsticks get replaced with jitte and we have just gone back a hundred years or so.

or you have the FMA guys walking round armed with a couple of machettes, the Ray Mears fans all have parangs and rambo knives etc etc

then we go to the next level and reverse the UK trend to legislate guns out of mainstream circulation and give all our citizens who pass the appropriate checks concealed carry permits like they have in the US.

because the US doesn't have any senseless violence, because the field is about as level as it can be over there and their police crews and swat teams spend all day in the brew room playing poker or else they just cruise about the ghetto's making small talk with the locals because everything is just oh-so-peachy now we have weapons and the criminals are too scared to attack anyone in-case they get a 'fighter'.

the solution to these problems does not lie in giving people carte-blance to carry weapons in self-defence.

all that happens is society settles into a new equilibrium where the level of violence is a few notches higher and the serious criminals have to be more brutal to get what they want...

putting more law enforcement officers in direct danger and making us all that little bit more paranoid, so the locks get stronger on the doors and people become more suspicious of strangers.

in short, it has the same effect on our rights and liberty as we face with the new anti-terror legislation. Our lifestyles are forced to change through a knee-jerk reaction, fuelled by the media, which makes us all a little more afraid and plays right into the hands of the people we strive to punish.

3. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

I think you were much closer to the reality of the situation with this one...

I concur. The trouble is, the world is moulded and governed through power and greed. Call me cynical, but I think that the government are more likely to set up a knife shop franchise, than introduce any serious policy that can tackle the disparity of wealth and the disaffected youth of the country.

4. xen

xen insanity by design

very true.

the other difficulty is simply that the problems are so deeply ingrained into our culture that there is no simple way of changing the underlying relationships which shape society.

so with a popular press constantly baying for action, we get ineffective 'quick-fix' solutions which do little to begin to tackle the real problems, because it is more important for a politician to been seen to doing 'something' than it is for them to be given the time and space to put measures in place which may not get results over night, but which would, over time, begin to reverse this trend to strike out blindly at strangers in such a senseless way.

i mean, i'm not condoning people robbing others, but at least there is a purpose to an attack which has theft as its prime motivator.

the poor lad in the clip here got killed for no reason whatsoever, that is what makes it so difficult to comprehend.

5. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

ah-haha :cool:

ya know what?
    first off,I have never seen this clip everyone is on about,it has been deleted from the site.
    I just base my opinions on what I percieve to be important.
    EDUCATION is the single most important out there!
    But it is definately too late for more than one generation in the UK.
    tough. thats just the way it is.
    we MIGHT be able to save the future,though.
    And were did I say carry knives for self-defense?! no where.
    But typical response from the uneducated.
    I have carried aknife since I was a kid and ya know what?!?!
    I have NEVER used it to hurt someone.But oh no...I am a criminal because knives kill people.morons.
    I have however;used it in 2 car accidents to SAVE LIVES.In the US only.Here in the UK,the same people would die because KNIVES KILL PEOPLE.don't they?
    Until we get the "perfect" society,there is nothing wrong with carrying something non-lethal to defend your self with.
    A katana? how stupid.
    Besides...for those of us who live in a high crime area,we defend ourselves and NO,we do NOT perpetuate anything.
    What fantasy tv show do you guys watch anyway? That is all a myth.
    I know attorneys and doctors who carry weapons and they get treated with respect regardless.
    Why? What makes them better? not education,thats for sure.
    It's status.
    At the end of the day,there is always going to be violence.Star Trek was a tv show.
    and yes,a can of pepper spray would have saved that guys life! you CAN use it on more than one person.
    And as far as the US having senseless violence,the UK is now caught up with the US on gun crime,waaaayyy passed us on knife crime and how does that look? The US has almost 300 million people,the UK 65 million.
    And these so called "stats" are bull as well. No one is reporting crime as much as they should.And the so called murder rate is dropping because medical science is getting better. Niether doesn't change a damn thing.
    fight fire with fire.
    or a pocket water cannon.

but hey, I am always open to suggestions.Not ones that won't see any effect for 100 years,but now.

kmguy...what genius idea do they have in florida for dealing with a violent society in the UK?
    You were quick to attempt being funny :cool: but offered nothing valid in return......
    well?

6. xen

xen insanity by design

err yes, the katana idea is stupid, that was my point, the whole post was intended to highlight the futility of suggesting that we 'level the playing-field', because once we go down that path, where do we draw the line? because any line we draw, the criminal just steps over, raising the stakes once more.

if you'd have seen the clip, you'd have seen that for the lad in question, the field would never have been level, the first strike came so fast and so randomly.

also, if you'd have seen the clip, you'd have seen that pepper-spray would not have really helped.

he was on the deck before he could have got into his pocket to arm himself, and his mate might have got the first attacker, but the other two were well out of range.

once they saw their mate fall to the deck with his eyes streaming it would have been easy for one to face him, staying out of range and the other to work round the back, you can only spray in one direction at a time so it wouldn't have taken much skill to get him down and dead.

7. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

what if you dislocated your arm? would that work?

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Update

For those who are interested, all three have now been sentenced:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5109898.stm

This, I don't understand. Should the stupid receive lower sentences in case they might not be able to figure out that stabbing someone is wrong? Unless someone's IQ is so low that they can't leave the house unsupervised, why should their IQ have any bearing on the sentence they receive?

9. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

It was reported in a local paper the other day that a man performed a citizens arrest on a 10 year old boy who had been given an 8 inch kitchen by his mother and sent out to sort his own problems out with another child. On the same page a 12 year old boy was robbed at knife point for his bike.

10. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Yeah I heard about 8 year old given a knife by his mum to sort his problems, and when she turn up at the school to pick her son up she was having a go at the man to took the knife away from him as she said it was ok and asked for it back :bang:

That romford story is really bad and romford is not far away from me. All the stuff going on like the forest gate raids to find terrorist's is all on my room step.

11. MartialJac

MartialJac Banned Banned

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  12. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I don't understand it either!
    It was a totally unprovoked attack with a knife in a public place. What the heck are the mitigating circumstances???

13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

His IQ!! What the ....

How in all hell after 3000 years of morale understanding can someone NOT know that murder is wrong!!! Its listed in COmmon law because it is so commonly accepted as wrong!! Insane!!

How can the courts justify a sentence as an effective punishment when he might not even serve all of it lol

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I don't understand that either. If someone commits a violent crime due to being mentally disturbed then they should be sent to a secure psychiatric facility like Broadmoor. Otherwise, they should just be sentance as normal. I don't see what simply having a low IQ has to do with anything.