Random Attack Caught on CCTV

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by inthespirit, May 31, 2006.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

What did you sign? :confused:

(Think I missed something here!)

2. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

3. saru1968

saru1968 New Member

I don't think Good can be applied to that video in any sense, senseless yes, but just think of the impact on the families and friends invloved in it.

4. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

yeah yeah
    i disagree, but i do see your PC point
    if it were my family
    i would WANT to see some good come from it
    when my friend and trainer Alex Gong was murdered
    i eventually came to use the circumstances of his death to warn others about the dangers of overconfidence and seeking confrontation...
    it took some time...
    but it is the only "good" thing to have come from it
    the warning to others
    and is serves as a powerful example
    it is my way of honoring his memory...
    of giving his death some meaning
    so you saru.. can go bugger yourself
    with your admonishments

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That probably explains why I missed it! I tend to ignore anything with that comic's name on it.

They'll jump on any bandwagon for a bit of cheap publicity. They'd tell their readers to CARRY knives of they thought it would get them more readers, rather than less. :bang:

6. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

It's a difficult call and very much down to the relatives of the individuals involved. Personally, if someone close to me died as a result of something like that although I would perhaps want to make some sense of that death and give it some meaning, the idea that it would be passed around as video footage on forums like this isn't one that appeals to me.

I do feel sorry for the people who's loss is now one of the latest hot videos on the internet.

Unless we all learn to walk around in a permanent state of paranoia assuming that everyone coming near us is likely to stab us, I don't see how showing it can have much value.

7. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

bill.... it is my understanding from the article the family has approved the distribution of the attack. So, while I understand you sentiment, it differs from theirs it seems....

in regards to what good it can do
    1. show the suddenness of an assault
    2. demo that you might never see the knife coming
    3. after the first assault.. they had an option to flee.. fleeing might have saved their lives.. they stayed and held ground a bit.... and paid the ultimate price
    had they simply fled... they might be alive today
    4. fleeing is the only sure method of surviving a knife assault
    5. the knife attack was not a straight arm overhead stab
    nor a slashing attack like many systems teach.. the assault was very fluid.. the stabs were like punches.... if you have to defend against a knife... you'll likely be doing it at that speed and from different punch angles... your punch defense should always assume the presence of a blade.. since you might never see it

note... 500th post

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... telling someone to "go bugger themself" is hardly complying with our TOS

You can disagree with points of view but you cannot openly attack them like this.

9. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

apologies to you saru
    i'l watch my tongue
    thanks for the warning

10. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

omg thats quite shocking

11. prowla

prowla Valued Member

...also probably impossible!
    Did you know that it's also impossible to lick your elbow?

12. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

It would be an impressive trick that you could probably make a career out of if you wanted to.

Not until I read this, and then tried to lick my elbow. It's just become my favourite bit of trivia.

13. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I just tried and managed fine, did you maen the outside of it I cant do that

14. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Its even better when people are drunk... you can get money out of them :D

15. Topher

Topher allo!

The problem is that may criminals simply don’t care. They take the risk because they know that the chances of them getting let off/community service is pretty good, or, if they do get a sentence, it’s often not equal to their crime, and even then they only serve half of it. If they know they would get a minimum punishment for certain, then it will deter them.

Of course, there are some wise judge out there, but there are many, to many, pathetic ones too.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Exactly my point. The level of sentancing has to be appropriate for the crime - and there has to be a reasonable likelihood of them getting caught and convicted.

That way it WILL be a deterrant to all but the craziest.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm not sure many criminals actually give any thought to the chances of getting caught or the severity of any punishment.

As an officer said to me once "You've got to remember most of these people aren't the sharpest tool in the box. They simply don't consider the consequences."

Think about it. Murders still happen in places where they have the death penalty. People there still commit murder. They don't sit and weigh up the odds in a logical manner and decide they're so likely to get away with it they might as well kill someone.

Mitch

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think that's a fair point.

Of course it's very difficult to generalise about 'criminals'.

I see a lot of people in threads like this talk about 'criminals' as though they are some sort of specific social type. The fact is that criminals are simply people who break the law, and can come from any walk of life.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - and I'm not addressing this to you in particular - but I think it's a point worth making.

19. freak

freak Valued Member

i hate scum like that....that should be hung

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2006
  20. Damien Alexander

Damien Alexander New Member

once again...allow people to fight back.
    stop assuming that a person is a criminal if they arm themselves with pepper spray or a stun gun.
    The **** and bull story "keeping them out of the hands of the criminals" is the biggest crock ever.
    NOTHING they say here works.
    Level the playing field. This crap will come to an almost stand still.