R.B.T

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by john yates, Jul 13, 2008.

1. john yates

john yates Valued Member

Jim wagner yes or no

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Short and sweet huh? I've heard some good things about it but personally I think it's a bit overrated. Check oujt their website for a start: how to survive a sniper attack, how to survive a shooting. I put a lot more faith in Krav Maga and Silat

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  4. Southpaw535

The guy trains swat man don't knock it:rolleyes:. Seriously john don't waste money on this if you're thinking about it. if this is supposedly legit then I'm looking at the wrong career.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  5. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

Reality based training such as Krav Maga or Modern Army Combatives is good to go. Jim Wagner's version leaves a lot to be desired. In his book and Black Belt Magazine articles he made a big show of wearing his army uniform. But nothing he demonstrated is a part of the Army's system and frankly, the guys at the Army Combatives Schoolhouse use Jim as the punchline of quite a few jokes. From my standpoint, many things he shows in his book are out-right dangerous and will get you killed. I don't know how that guy got his reputation, but what he's selling these days is garbage.

6. Southpaw535

Wait a sec. If he served with I think the US army? He would have learned their combat regime wouldnt he? I dont know much about it but from what I've seen it's a pretty good system. So could he be the new jody?

7. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

Rubbish.

8. Southpaw535

Well he could be a very bad sniper. Maybe he teaches you that when you get shot you should land in a certain way to make the chalk line easier? I really want to find a class just to go and rip it apart

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

RBT is good. The important questions are "What's real?" and "How do you train for it?"

Fireteams and sacrificing your life for The Mission are vital for soldiers. They aren't a big part of the world I live in. A ghillie suit, a scoped bolt gun, a spotter and three days of lying absolutely still to get that one shot are vital professional skills for a very small number of professional soldiers fighting other soldiers, regular or irregular. Most of all, a soldier is expendable.

My needs realistically run more towards handguns at close range, the defense of particular familiar locations, and individuals or small groups of people armed with nothing or light weapons and not under military discipline. They are motivated by anger, insanity or economic gain. I am not expendable.

10. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

I certainly freaking hope I'm not....

Pretty much all of Wagner's claims have come into question, his military service in particular (8 months and then a medical discharge if what I saw as right).

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Bullshido investigated him and although this is a monster thread, the cliff notes are that the guy refuses to answer some awkward questions and his other claims are dressed up:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=72918

As an example of what i mean by dressed up he says he was on the SWAT team in the police, whilst this is true, he was a logistics officer and never kicked down doors or used a sniper rifle.

Another example, he claims over x amount of counter terrorism missions, but it seems that what he means by that is he flew as an air marshal x times, never seeing any actual action.

Basically it seems the guys a fraud but what he \lies about directly is difficult to pin down.

12. Southpaw535

technically he didn't lie. clever boy he cant be had for false claims. like i said earler though if he was in the army why didnt he just teach that instead?

13. SgtGF

SgtGF Part time lurker

Because from my experience Army Combatives is a specialized class we have to go and get. Generally speaking you have to be an E4 going on E5 to even be eligible and that's primarily because the Combatives classes are training small unit leaders to teach larger units. In all likelyhood, given his short time in service, Wagner got the day and a half Hand to Hand/Bayonet primer everyone from the doorkickers to the Satellite Commo guys get in Basic and that's it. Just like with any day long self defense seminar, it's largely useless, that's why a lot of military types like Semper Fi and myself go outside the military to learn different styles.

If you're going for a down and dirty self defense style that will teach you to fight, find a hard hitting Krav Maga school if you can.

14. Southpaw535

yep krav all the way. two questions though, what an E4/E5? and why learn the course anyway? from what ive seen its a good discipline but with all the hardware forces have got i cant see hand-to-hand being common.

15. tellner

tellner Valued Member

I hope you aren't either.

But the Army (or Corps, I don't know which branch of the Service you're in) certainly thinks you are. If it serves an operational need you become an "acceptable casualty". Men and units are sacrificed all the time. And you are taught to obey orders which support the military goals of your country even if it means that you personally might die.

When you step across the line you become a resource to be used or used up if the Nation decides your individual life is worth less than what they hope to get from it. As a civilian I couldn't care less if someone three thousand miles away decides that "we" need to take a hill. I didn't lose anything up there, and there's no reason for me or my friends to risk our lives unseating the guy who's up there now.

You've been trained for something different. When the guy with the shiny stuff on his collar says "Take that hill" you take that hill. And you do it as a unit using some of the most sophisticated psychological and technical coordinated-group training the world has ever seen.