Quick question about martial aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Hatamoto, Mar 1, 2011.

1. embra

embra Valued Member

I did hear that Mr. Williams was and still is (and also in spite of a rumoured hip change), exceptionally fast in his movement. There was also a ridiculous 'story' of banning moustaches!

The biggest problem that I have encountered with Ki Aikido is encountering anyone capable in the art - which is not to say that they do not exist. I try to remain open-minded on this. Maybe we should see more of Mr Williams. Does he (or Tohei) have any younger students ready to take on their mantle?

I did however encounter Seigo Yamaguchi (about 1985) who we could say was at the opposite end of the spectrum to Shihans Chiba and Saito (and others), in that he had almost unbelievable subtlety and coolness. Trying to getting a hold of that fellow was something akin to getting a hold of running water i.e. I could detect his energy but never get a full grasp of him and his central energy. I remember at that easter course in Oxford, no-one could execute what he was doing - he was like a matador toying with testosterone full young bulls.

By way of contrast there is footage on Youtube showing Seigo Yamaguchi with very dynamic movement and technique execution, and clearly linking his taijitsu to boken usage - which is one (but not all) of the key aspects that I look for.

In summary, the problem (for me) with this 'type' of 'non-martial' Aikido is a) finding people credible in demonstrating and teaching it effectively i.e. with preserved martial principles; and b) being able to integrate this type of capability into my own without compromising martial capability i.e. not to become delusional.

Its a lot easier (for me at least) to identify and work on, more primal and elemental martial Aikido and MA in general.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  2. Sore Knees

Sore Knees Valued Member

apparently he has indeed had a hip replacement. seems to be ok though.

if you look on the ki federation of great britain website under the clubs section, there are a few senseis of very high grade, awarded by Williams, so I can imagine he feels they are worthy of 'taking on the mantle'.

3. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I hope you are succesful Chris, I am sure you will be,Bill has left a strong foundation stone. Good luck. I hope to visit.
    Tommo

4. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Personally I think it would be an awesome idea for us to get together at Koyo's Dojo at some point in the not too distant future and have keiko in his memory and honour.

Comments?

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Really good idea. Well in line with koyo's takes on no politics and cross-training for those not from Aikido, in an all inclusive spirited session.

I hasten to add, that I am off to Paris on monday to start a new contract, so it will probably have to happen minus myself.:(

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  6. Chris Banks

Chris Banks Valued Member

Hey Tommo,

Thanks for the message of support, we are going to continue the club the way that Billy would have wanted - Aikido pure and simple.

He was such a great teacher and a truely inspirational guy and he is missed........alot. He not only taught me everything I know about Aikido, but changed my outlook on life in general.

We were helping Mrs. Koyo sort through some of his things last week and came accross loads of old Aikido dvd's, some with you being heartily bounced around the mat, so we will get some of those on MAP in the near future. :D

Cheers again,

Chris.

7. Chris Banks

Dave,

Funny you should say that.

After Billy's funeral the guys at the club were thinking that we should do something to commemorate all the years that Billy spent training and furthering British Aikido so we started to think about doing a seminar and I have just confirmed a date.

It is going to be held in the griphouse (http://www.thegriphouse.co.uk/) in Glasgow on the 15th of May. We will post training details nearer the time, so if you can make it up, we will look forward to meeting you.

Cheers,

Chris.

8. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Chris, I am already preparing myself to come over from France to be at this event, I also hope to be on the mat. I may not be able to do much due to illness but I will not miss this. I need to be there and contribute something. A fantastic idea.
    Tommo

9. Dave Humm

I'm on leave at the moment but will check what my schedule will be for May

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ken Williams used to be in Wales. If the "legends" are true Chiba Sensei blindly pointed his finger to Wales on a map of the UK and said "you go there". So he did. basically he was exiled to Wales for trying to muscle in on someone else's dojo. So the story goes any way.

The current Ki Federation of Great Britain head quarters are indeed in Mark. I've been there. It's a very nice dojo. Shame the practice went a bit to happy hippie.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Margret Williams was about to be handed the mantle when my old teacher split from the Ki Fed. Sensei Williams was more a master of subtlety and misdirection rather than being fast when I met him.

12. Chris Banks

Tommo,

Thats great news, Look forward to meeting you.

Chris.

13. Dave Humm

Can you point me in the direction of decent B&B or, would a kindly dojo member care to house an old soldier for the night ?

I can bring my own sleeping bag and stove LOL

14. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

I will definately be there, even if I have to crawl, nothing will stop me.
    I will be over with my partner Marie. I will also get on the mat as I said I may not be able to do much but I will be there kit and all.
    Tommo

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If you're struggling to find a place I could put you up for a night. I have a spare room with a sofa bed. I Live in way over the opposite side of Glasgow in Barrhead. But it's easy enough to get around Glasgow if you have the time to spare or drive. Can't guarantee I'll be going along though. I'm on a late-ish shift. Think I might need to try and book a day off work.

B&B in Glasgow

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  16. makotokai

makotokai Valued Member

Hey tommo it will be great to meet to. Bill always spoke highly of you, as Chris mentioned we have some good footage of you training with Bill. Awesome nikkyo.
    Gerry

17. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Hahahahaha thanks for the memory:D:D
    Tommo

18. Dave Humm

I'll confirm that with you mate as soon as I'm back at work next week.

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

19. Chris Banks

Dave,

Will ask around and get back to you.

Cheers,

Chris.

20. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Just watched a video of Slim, ah memories
    Tommo