Questions about Rapid Arnis and FMA (First class on Friday !)

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by NickR, Mar 7, 2006.

1. NickR

NickR New Member

Firstly, what is the style/influences of Rapid Arnis, how much of an overlap/differences is there with other modern FMA and also what older FMA does it inherit from ?

Someone said to me on another forum that Rapid Arnis been "pared down to a sport, removing the 'battle art' aspects".
    I'm guessing that this is off the mark, but I was wondering how much stick fighting and sport there is and how/if it is complementary to effective training ?

Which leads me onto my next question, about how training is conducted kind of training methodology is used ?

One of the things that originally lead me to investigating FMA was that they consider the fight rather than just on good technique execution (like the Jitsu, the TKD and the Karate I have done). Is that strategy and is this where the sport aspect can be beneficial (there is a sport side to the Jitsu I study) ?

Any links to further information to kill my boredom would be appreciated.

Thanks (I failed miserably to find anything on this subject with a search).

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

PM Pat O'Malley.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. NickR

NickR New Member

Good idea.

Done.

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hi NickR,

I will try my best to answer you questions.

Well there are several styles that have over the years played a major role in the development of Rapid Arnis, namely: Pekiti Tirsia via Tuhon Bill McGrath, Inayan Serrada Eskrima via the late Suro Mike Inay, Modern Arnis via the late GM Remy Presas, Lapunti Arnis De Abanico via GM Ondo Caburnay and more so Doce Pares via the Canete Clan, although they are not the sole influences they have play a larger role than the others and none more so that Doce Pares, There is a lot of over lap between these styles and the Rapid Arnis system and I am please to say that none of my students have any problem training in most FMA styles because of the over lap, the see the same things, just done in a different order.

As for differences, well there are only two differences I can really see, 1. the fact that what people see in Rapid Arnis is based on my personal interpretation of what I have been taught by these great people and how they have influence not only myself but those around me.

And 2. The Rapid Arnis Open Policy which goes like this: The Rapid Arnis Organisations OPEN POLICY expects people to individually express themselves and will not tolerate any one student or instructor suppressing knowledge of the FMA regardless of style or any ones individual personality in any way or form. We are educators not dictators, but we do expect students and instructors alike to follow the Rapid Arnis Code of Conduct. This is the Rapid Arnis way. We are keepers of a legacy.

They obviously have never done Rapid Arnis then, Rapid Arnis is in effect what you call in a sense a traditional system both in it's teachings and approach, yes many of our members including myself have been very successful in the sport side of FMA, but to us the sport is just that, a sport that is to be enjoyed for it's entertainment value and for the certain attributes it can help you acquire in parts of your combat training.

Rapid Arnis and it’s instructors never teach the sport to people, we just let them suit up and play and if they are training for a tournament we advise them on the best methods for training for that particular sport. But during any class all you will see is real FMA training as it has been taught to me and the other instructors within the organisation via the Masters from the Philippines.

As I mentioned you will very rarely see the sport side, unless someone is in training for an event, the sport is for fun. And yes we do spar for other reasons too, but this sparring is not just limited to the sporting rules and equipment, most of our sparring is applied for putting in to practice the techniques and skills learned during the regular classes and this again is only for those who are at the level where they can handle the sparring side to it, in other words, beginners do not spar until they have at least some basic skills and understanding of the Filipino martial arts and how it is applied.

I teach how I am taught by the Masters in the Philippines, starting with basics, moving on to the more advanced training methods once a good understanding of the basics is acquired.

The sport can help enhance certain attributes such as timing, distance, footwork and certain striking combinations but it is not the be all and end all of the combat applications of the FMA, it has it's limitations too, that is why we treat the sport as just that, a sport, it bears no real relation to the actual art and combat applications of the FMA, so yes it can help some things, but it is not something that you really need to do in order to become good at the FMA.

See my link in my signature at the bottom of this page.

Also go on to my links page, there are many more good FMA web pages there to relieve you from your boredom and more will follow soon.

This is as you understand a brief overview so any other questions are welcome and I will do my best to answer them.

I hope this has helped. I have also noticed you live in West Yorkshire, well so do I, so why not pop along and try a class for free then you can make up your own mind.

Best regards

Pat

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  5. NickR

NickR New Member

Cheers for concise answer !

I am going to Iain Wallace's class in Bradford on Friday, thanks.

6. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Sorry read it again, my computor logged me off during my reply and I edited it not knowing it was up.

Best regards

Pat

7. NickR

NickR New Member

Thanks again.

8. NickR

NickR New Member

Well just got back from my first class.

Was good fun, stick basics plus one or 2 empty hand versions of blocks briefly demonstrated.
    I really need to relax and flow more, also the arm movements for the stick disarms are very similar to the Jitsu locks, but much tighter (and seems efficent).

Can't say if I prefer it to Jitsu but I can see it being benificial and will be going back next week to see how things progress.

9. rebecca kane

rebecca kane Valued Member

I am glad you are liking it and good luck once again with it!!

best regards

rebecca

10. stickfan1

stickfan1 New Member

You only be truely converted once you realise how effective Arnis techniques are in a pool room ;)

Also the footwork is good in nightclubs for two reason...one it improves your slide to the nearest lady and 2. it helps you weave out of the way of drunks :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006