Question

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by pulp fiction, Feb 3, 2006.

1. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

I really like boxing, and I love to watch people getting punched in the head. I have seen in the Contender that boxers always train with gloves or at least some handwrapping.

I was wondering, if you would ever have to fight bare knuckle would you box the same as if you were wearing gloves?

Is it the same to punch with or without gloves? Is it more likely to injure yourself by punching box style without gloves?

I don't know much about boxing, but I would really like to know more.

Thanks in advance four your replies.

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

if i was fighting in teh str33t i imagine i would do what i train to do which is primarily to hit people in the face. this isnt always a good idea in teh str33t though because you can break your hand pretty easily

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Just punch how your going to punch, regardless where you are. The mechanics are all the same. Just make sure you dont go smacking their skull or other hard parts with your hand.

4. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

There is a chance of breaking your hand but if you were fighting in the str33t I don't think you would be worrying too much. There are meant to be ways of strengthing you knuckles but I don't know too much about that.

5. Developing

Developing Valued Member

Conditioning your hand can be done by knuckle pushups, preferably on wood or on concrete. This is the only conditioning I would really advocate seeing as I have done it and have not developed any problems from it. Of course there are other more traditional ways of conditioning magiwa (forgive the weak attempt at translating) that some Japanese stylists have trained in (and I'm sure many others). A kyokushin instructor has discussed such things with me. But he also said that it has led to bad cases of arthritis so I wouldn't recommend it. Some people have suggested even on this site that hitting the heavy bag with no padding, wraps, or gloves is a good form of conditioning I must insist I do not feel this is a good idea. But all the forms of conditioning cannot protect your hand if you hit your opponent in certain parts of his head bareknuckle. I would suggest going for the chin or nose in a real fight bareknuckled. I know with the adrenaline pumping it may be hard "to pick your spots" but I don't think that it's fantasy land to have these thoughts in your head. And please don't forget about that body, it's a big target calling your name in this world of head hunters I think we sometimes cannot hear its voice. :)

6. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Or you could save your hand the trouble and use your knees and elbows ;).

7. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

The travelling fraternity fight bare knuckled ......go play there for a while and see how they develop their techniques :) :) :)

broken knuckle above little finger is a good indication of a bare knuckle fight too!!!

8. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

That must be painful.

9. Developing

Developing Valued Member

True. :D

10. pulp fiction

pulp fiction TKD fighter

Haha, I should learn Muay Thai.

11. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

SMACK BACKFIST and ELBOW your way through a fight lol....

12. Friction

Friction Valued Member

I used to always punch brick walls, cement columns, wooden walls, basically anything with a hard enough surface that wouldn't break while hitting it. I have never broken a bone in my hand while doing this and I swear by it as a great way to condition the hand for full contact. I don't recommend it to anyone though, as you must have great fist alignment. The fist must always be in complete line with your forearm.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  13. drunken_master

drunken_master Valued Member

When you first start you'll probably find after hitting stuff you can't make a full fist afterwards, cause your fingers are 'loose', or atleast that's the feeling... it'll keep happening for a while. Clenching your fist as tight as you can for a while and hitting a heavy bag helps the most, IMO.

If you keep at it though you should get to where you can hit people in the skull and not feel any effects, I have anyway. If you hit improperly you'll still hurt yourself, but those two big knuckles and your wrist will toughen up to where hard impacts don't make your fist weak afterwards. I can actually nail firewood with a punch, but I try not to do it cause I don't want any arthritis I haven't already guaranteed myself.

So if you haven't been doing conditioning long, don't hit people in the face with a fist, use an open hand or something because you really don't want to have a limp hand and wrist in the middle of a fight, right after the first punch... but if you condition without wraps you'll get to where you can fight without wraps, and wraps are just a nice bonus or even an annoying distraction.

I'm sure all the muay thai people hate me now. I'm not a boxer either, but I've punched bare knuckles enough to know what I'm talking about.

14. ZXNing

ZXNing New Member

i'd like to point out that in answer to your question of the difference of fighting w/o gloves, you have to look beyond just the issue of protecting your hand.. theres also points to consider like for example, that you are much faster, its harder to block, and one good solid hook will probably down a guy.

15. elnan

elnan Valued Member

As said above me. Your hand will break weary easy hitting someone in the face/head.
    So go for the bodyshots and some lowkicks, and not forget those elbows. That is what I woulda done in teh str33t, or in a bare knucle boxing match.
    Never had a real st33t fight thouht.. Or a bare knuckle boxing match.

16. shootodog

shootodog restless native

the gloves are there not to protect your opponent, they're there to protect your hands. think of it, the head is the boneiest part of the human body, the top of the head is the hardest part of the human body, and you're hitting it with bones that are thin (carpals and metacarpals are some of the smallest bones on the human body)...breakage is inevitable.

think about it.