question

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by neryo_tkd, Feb 12, 2004.

1. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hello everyone,

first of all, i have never trained aikido, but i have some acquaintances who do, and what surprised me is how they talk differently about aikido.

so, please, tell me is there any hitting/kicking involved in aikido, besides the usual stuff seen in aikido, i mean using the opponent's strength/energy to beat him/throw him on the floor etc.

is there a style of aikido that is ''more aggressive'' or does it depend solely on the school/instructor?

thanx a lot.

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

I think there will be some more agressive versions

Also this will depend a fair bit on the person, some people I have trained with in arts like Aikido, Ninjitsu, TKD all arts really they think and believe they are capable of kicking butt however compaired to your own standards they are kidding themselves it does depend on what you class as opening up on someone.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

What is taught in an Aikido class does depend alot on the teacher and style of Aikido. Aikido does for example have kicks. But they are very rarely tought or demonstraighted. Some styles of Aikido are more agressive than others. For example Aikikai Aikido is normaly alot more agressive than Ki Aikido. That doesn't mean one is better than the other. It just means they look at the same problems differently.

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hitting - yes, but not a lot. Single shots to the face, neck, ribs, sternum. You probably won't see flurries. Occassional elbow to the jaw or nose. Used to set up some sort of joint lock or throw.

Kicking - Infrequent, unless you count a stomp to the back of the knee as a "kick." Most common would be a snap kick to the groin or a knee to the ribs. Used to set up some sort of joint lock or throw.

Some styles are definitely more aggressive than others. Iwama and Shotokan are thought of as "aggressive," Ki Society is "soft," Aikikai and Tomiki/Shodokan are in the middle ... and I've left off a lot of other groups, but yes, there is a wide spectrum.

5. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Also this will depend a fair bit on the person, some people I have trained with in arts like Aikido, Ninjitsu, TKD all arts really they think and believe they are capable of kicking butt however compaired to your own standards they are kidding themselves it does depend on what you class as opening up on someone.

huh?

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

huh?

didn't get that either :confused: :confused: :confused:

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Hapkido uses alot more kicks than Aikido

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Nearly everything uses more kicks than Aikido Homer.

9. Topher

Topher allo!

Yeah, but Hapkido is a very similar style to Aikido and if the guy wants aikido but more kicks the Hapkido would be perfect. ;)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2004
  10. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

There are no kicks practiced in Aikido the founder never taught how to kick in aikido but i dont no what happened before the war when he was teaching dait ryu and the changes he started to make then. i would think he did use the kicks as atemi. O sensei used to say Aikido was 90% Atemi. which means that at every point in aikido there should be an opening in your uke to stike a vitla area. But there is a huge difference between hitting someone with a proper punch and using Atemi to distract the other part of ukes body so you can quickly deliver the technique. one of the reasons i was told in By Saito sensei for Aikido not havimg kicks was that your are trying to catch your ukes balance so they should not be able to lift there legs without losing balance this is tru Awase(blending)

11. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

You only have to look at where the origins of Daito Ryu and eventually Aiki came from.. Sword carrying Samurai wearing armour, or on horseback. No kicks applicable there.