Question on Gi decoration

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by TheMightyMcClaw, Apr 26, 2007.

1. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

So, in the spirit of the "pimp my gi" thread, I have a couple questions:
    Is there, in fact, any legal limit on how much of a Jiu-jitsu gi can be covered by the Brazilian flag? I've seen some pretty patriotic gi out there, and I was wondering I could get one entirely in green and gold with the globe on the back.
    Second, is there any rule or social stigma on the nature of the patches one can so to a gi? Could I, for example put a Decepticon Patch on my sleeve?

2. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

There is nothing preventing you from having any kind of patches you want on your gi (and personally, I encourge interesting patches, it adds variety!), however, in terms of competition there are specific places where you can have patches and where you can't (to prevent it becoming too difficult to grip in certain spots) which can be found...here!

[​IMG]

http://www.ibjjf.org/imagens/kimono_regra.jpg

So to answer your question, you can't patch over the whole back of your gi if you want to compete, they'll literally just tear it off. Sorry toi disappoint.

And remember, you can only wear white, blue or black gis in these competitions too. -_-

Take care,

Stalks

3. HeavyStrike

HeavyStrike New Member

You should just wrap yourself in a Brazillian flag.

Uber patriotic :cool:

4. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Hey McClaw, are you Brazilian? I've seen some cool gi with the Brazilian flag and globe on the back and more personal patches on the gi (i.e. your club, university, country).

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Just don't put one over your heart. It makes a brilliant target!!

regards koyo

6. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

My coach wore a very pimped out gi to the Pan Ams, and the IBJJF didn't have a problem with it. He's particularly fond of the punisher:

[​IMG]

7. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

No, I'm not Brazilian.... I'm just a boring old American of Polish/Irish decent. I do, however, find the tendency of putting Brazilian flags on gi to be quite entertaining. It's like a contest of who can out-Brazilian who.
    I didn't know about the regulation gi colors. The white and blue kind of makes sense, since these are the colors allowed in judo competition, but why black? And if they allow black, then why not allow red gi, or the Kyra Gracie-style pink gi?