Question for BJJ Black Belts

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by hardball, Jan 19, 2013.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Hey,

I was wondering at what level(belt rank) did you start to work on throws? How important were throws in your black belt cirriculum? Where they similar to Judo throws?

Cheers.

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Varies from gym to gym. Some might be more wrestling based and others more judo based. Some places I've trained have worked takedowns from day one others more intermittently or only before comp dates.

3. mattt

mattt Valued Member

In 2023 when I receive my blackbelt I will be able to tell you I started working on throws 15 years ago at whitebelt.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Bjj has all judo takedowns . Judo doesn't have all bjj takedowns.

Judo can end on a throw. Bjj cannot unless you snap your guy. Changes attitude to throws.

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

no set curriculum exists in BJJ so there is no onus on anyone to ever have to learn throws or take downs of any kind for that matter, its completely down to the individual gym.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

not really sure what you mean by this as there's no codified set of techniques which make up BJJ the jiu jitsu one instructor teaches might have no throws what so ever whilst another has loads, so your blanket statement is very likely untrue for many people practising BJJ. Also a more down to earth problem with it is that there are a fair few judo take downs that aren't very good for BJJ at all.

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

humaita is a bit different. they have set curriculum

8. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

many gyms have a curriculum yes, 10 planet, Guerilla Jiu Jitsu but rarely will any two be the same ergo BJJ as an art on the hole has no set curriculum which is what I said.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The Black belt at our gym teaches wrestling and grip fighting into gi takedowns from day one, as well as occasionally teach SD courses which include takedowns from headlock attacks etc. I also train at a judo club outside of this.

10. Dead_pool

In BJJ generally everyone, no matter the rank trains the same material.

11. mattt

mattt Valued Member

No, from a rules perspective judo and bjj takedowns are different, it doesn't matter what your own anecdotal instructor teaches you it matters what is allowed in Olympic judo and IBJJF mundials.

In each school in judo will be different eg one will focus on Newaza one will not so I can only approach the question are they like judo by opening with- they are like judo but there are also more throws that come from other things that not allowed in judo ergo if you just teach judo throws to a bjj player they will not have the full spectrum of throws.

What judo throws are bad for bjj in your opinion?

More importantly why do I see the OP leading into creating a new martial art based on this teaching blackbelt level bjj when it's likely that he hasn't even done bjj to a white belt level?

12. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Why do you say this? I never insinuated that I was creating a new martial art. I just had a legitimate question. Do you guys throw?

13. Dead_pool

we throw, pickup and redirect, but since we mostly focus on attaining dominant positions, were not big on the big throw for ippon whilst giving them your back side of things.

14. mattt

mattt Valued Member

You asked at what point do you learn throws within your curriculum rather than simply do you just throw. That you asked if they were like judo throws implies familiarity with judo, which is more accessible due to televised Olympic events.

This makes me think it is a question one would ask when developing a curriculum rather than simple interest. Just because my brain works that way.

Why are you interested in knowing the importance of throws, when they are introduced and if they are like judo throws?

15. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Made me think he was evaluating the sylabis at his school.

16. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yeah that kinda thing. A hodgepodge school, because a formal one would have a syllabus already. Doesn't have to be a bad thing (assuming my assumption is correct and not making a you know what out of me and you) but it could be shakey ground if it includes teaching 'what you learn in a bjj blackbelt class' taught by someone without ever taking a bjj class.

17. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Because I have a 23 year old newphew who trains in BJJ 60 miles away. He is white belt with blue stripe and he was looking for rolling buddy. My black belt is in japanese ju jitsu and I was wondering if I could help my nephew with his throws. I'll admit my newaza needs lots and lots of improvement. LOL

18. Dead_pool

I'd stick to being a rolling partner if thats what hes looking for.

http://www.tommycaro.com/index-5.html

19. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

That statement is not true. The aim of bjj was to have less techniques with better execution. Bjj may have more variations on how to do the same technique(which is what makes it effective) but it wouldn't count as a different technique.

20. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

importance of throws?

Throws, at least good ones, would seem to be a danger although I am not sure that they are trained well enough these days with all the rule changes to be of that calibre. My easiest example would be Kimur's uchimata.. he was reknowned for knocking people out with the depth and force of that throw. It was respected enough that the Gracies over padded the mats where the competition between him and Helio took place to limit the effectiveness of the throws. Not wanting to give up your back is reasonable but taking the back isn't so easy when the player has experience and sets up the throw. Really I guess it comes from the differences in how the games are played. Pulling guard is illegal in judo and they also made guard slams illegal at about the same time. These days, with all the nonsense happening changing about what can and can't be done in judo the throws might not work was well. When the rules change people have to find a way to make things happen anyway but that limits when/how things will work. If they ever did the same in BJJ (make pulling guard illegal) I bet that the throws and set ups would get worked on a lot more.

Sorry for the diversion.... Just ramblin'

LFD