question about changing your IP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by geves, Apr 17, 2006.

1. geves

geves Valued Member

i'm about to change my IP address. anyhow, i was wondering if that'll mess up my router (wireless internet connection).

it took me like 2 hours to set this thing up to my 2 laptops. so i was wondering, if i'll have to re-config it?

anyone know?

thx for the help.

2. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

Are you changing your LAN address or the WAN address the router uses?

If changing the LAN address, firstly why do you want/need to do that, and secondly if you do change it then you will have to update any port forwarding/special application entries you have made in order to have them forwarded to the correct address.

If changing the WAN address the router uses (updating from your ISP) then you would not have to change anything internally, but anyone who might try to connect directly to your IP address would have to be aware of the change.

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

If it took you two hours to setup a wireless router on two laptops, then my guess is that you probably will mess things up if you change your IP address. Why do you want to change your IP address anyway?

If you want to learn about network protocols then put aside about four -six weeks to learn about the OSI model and TCP/IP, otherwise, just leave the sofware to manage itself.

4. harhar

harhar I hate semaphores

You cant change your ip address as far as I know.

5. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

It's very simple to do, the art is in changing it to an ip address that works.

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

hehehe

Are you changing your internal network IP, or do youhave a static IP through your ISP and are changing that? if the external ISP one it shouldn't really be that tough, if you change the internal one, given your apparant knowledge level of networking, it'll be a hassle.

might I ask whay you want to do that?