Q's & A's

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Freeform, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

There seems to be a distinct lack of Judoka currently posting on MAP, I know your out there! So I'm setting myself up for the big fall (no pun intended) and am ready, willing and able (????) to take on any questions anyone may have!

Thanx

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Freefall,

I did a little when I was a kid. All I can remember is one hold, two throws, two breakfalls and lots of rolls. I'd love to get back into it actually if/when I ever get some time.

Do you see many older people taking up Judo?

Andy

3. Freeform

Yep! Last grading I was at showed that a lot of older people are taking up the art/sport. We've recently had 3 new starts at the Dunfermline club (shameless plug!!!) and they're all over 30. I've noticed that most Judo players either start young (5/6ish) and stay (we have a large drop off at age 15ish, but thats the same for most things) or they start later on, late 20's early 30's.

If your ever near Dunfermline on a Thursday/Sunday night drop in!

Thanx

Last edited: Jun 27, 2002
  4. Jim

Jim New Member

Our style is based primarily on Judo but, I think due to the sport-only emphasis, not much stock is placed in the Self Defence aspects of Judo

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Welcome Jim,

Another new martial art, Kakuto Goshin Jutsu, for Martial Arts Planet. If you get chance, I would love to hear more about it.

I read your biography as well, what can I say Jim...you sound perfect for the MAP! With your background and qualifications and your obvious sense of humour ;) You're a gem for us :)

I shall be looking forward to your further input.

6. Jim

Jim New Member

Judo = ?

Thanks Mel,

:eek:

The translation is basically Kakuto = close quarter combat and Goshin Jutsu = self defence. Together they are what we train for, both self defence and close quarter combat.

The sad thing is that we changed our name to move away from Judo because we were constantly getting people join for the sport side of things but that wasn't what we were about. Personally I love Judo but because of the perception of many out there we needed to distance ourselves from it.

This site and forum is one of the best out there at the moment. Many others tend to be full of people who want to tell you how many people they've destroyed 'on the street' or the other extreme where 'we are all one' and peace and mungbeans.

Oh yeah, other other thing - be wary of any offering affliation, they usually are not what they seem!

7. Freeform

Jim, do you guys practice the Goshin No Kata? I know where your coming from about the sports bit. Check out my Tai Jitsu thread in Others, I practice the Goshin Do style, there may be similarities.

Thanx

8. Jim

Jim New Member

Wow...

Freeform, you may want to look at the judoinfo site run by Neil Ohlenkamp in California.

I know the Goshin No Kata but don't use it, no particular reason just that I find it a bit limited. I know there have been additions to allow for the use against firearms (pistols) but don't like the forms.

I asked the US site for any info on Judo based MA's that are not sport related but drew a big blank so far.

On a side note, has anyone seen the new Blade II movie yet? At last throws are coming back to movies, including Ryo Ashi Dori and Seioe Nage!

9. Melanie

Re: Judo = ?

:cool:

Wow! Thanks for that Jim. :)

Please spread the word won't you, to all other 'nice' people of course! :D

I'm glad you seem to have found this forum of help. If you have any articles you want to submit, go nuts we'd love to hear from you. :)

Keep up the posting!

P.S. To Andy Murray - Drats! You beat me to it nicking Jims quote!

10. Jim

Jim New Member

Mel B,

Can you take my quote off your sig too, please. Quote makes Jim's face go red... :eek:

11. Melanie

Sure Jim,

But it weren't one of your quotes to my knowledge?

I changed it 3 days before you got on the forum...must be great minds think alike? :D

12. Jim

Jim New Member

Sorry Mel, I meant the one-off quote thing. Can't take that off once posted.

13. Jim

Jim New Member

With the Judo side of our training I tend to enjoy the actual throwing more than any other aspect (groundwork, etc.) and when practicing the forms or going 'throw for throw' I enjoy trying to attain that 'perfect' throw.

You know the one, when you do everything exactly right and there is no strength involved. I think that part is the one aspect that other styles can't experience. Any comments?

14. Freeform

Judo these days is to competition orientated, the guys in there rely to much on strength, they don't learn the 'form' and will never achieve that 'perfect' throw, as no attack is ever really commited.

15. Jim

Jim New Member

Yeah, that's what I hate about it and one of the reasons we changed our style's name to Kakuto Goshin Jutsu

16. Mark

Mark New Member

reaching for 5th kyu

What are the requirements for the 5th kyu. and how well should I perform the techniques?

Mark

17. Jim

Jim New Member

Mark,

It depends on your club. The Kodokan are the recognised authority on sport judo and it may be on their website. Or check on the www.judoinfo.com site.

We're not strictly a judo club but our requirements for 5th Kyu (judo techniques only) are as follows:

8 Leg Throws, 7 Hip Throws, 2 Shoulder Throws, 5 Hand Throws and 8 Immobilisation Techniques (plus 3 escapes).

The level of skill that should be displayed at this level is relatively high. All of these moves must be good enough to ensure that they can be conducted under 'duress' as well as other throws and moves to a lesser standard.

I'd like to know what others have as requirements in their system. Not many publish what their requirements are above Sho Dan.

18. Freeform

Should also be pointed out Jim that a recent (4-5yrs) reform of some Judo federations means that there are only 6 kyu grades in the syllabus. This I feel has lead to a general decline in the skill of each grade.

So I can't really help you there Mark, sorry.

Although www.scotjudo.org had a good lay out for its grades if you want to look.

Thanx

19. Martial Sloth

Martial Sloth New Member

A question for Freeform or Jim: I'm looking to start a martial art, my main interest is Aikido (I like the throws and the no-striking aspect of it)...but recently just seen that my club also has judo classes. Is judo very much a "throwing" art too, or is more a grappling/wrestling art? How does grading typically work, how many kyu levels are there, lots of randori?

Sill questions, I know, but being a beginner, I cant claim to know too much :) Thanks guys :)

20. Freeform

Judo is primarily a grappling art, and is often refered to as 'Jacketed Wrestling'. It is very much into throws and groundwork. Gradings (well UK gradings, as previously mentioned gradings is a grey area Internationally) normally start off with your first 2 being at club level where their is no randori requirement, you just have to show technical proficiency in certain techniques.

After that you still have to show technical ability but also earn points at gradings, where you'll have to fight people of equal rank. Each grade will have its own points requirement attached to it.

Depending on the class/Instructor you may or may not have a lot of randori, although most classes probably would.

There are of course 2 schools of thought in Judo, competition and Self Defence. I've pretty much covered sport/competition,I'll let Jim cover the SD stuff (you know you want to !!!!! ;) )

Hope this helps.

Colin