Qi Gong empowerment or The Root of Chinese Qigong (books)

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by gerard, Mar 20, 2004.

1. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Hi guys, someone asked me which of these two is the best to purchase. I couldn't answer so I ask for help in this forum.

The books are:

1. The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets for Health, Longevity & Enlightenment (Jwing-Ming Yang, Yang Jwing-Ming)

2. Qigong Empowerment: A Guide to Medical, Taoist, Buddhist, Wushu Energy Cultivation (Shou-Yu Liang, Wen-Ching Wu from Way of the Dragon)

I know that the second book is good cos I flicked through and it was coherent but I couldn't give an accurate opinion. No idea about Jwing-Ming's work; however I heard that this guy is true to the streets.

Thanks is advance, Gerard.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2004
  2. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

The Root of Chinese Qigong by Jwing Ming is a good read for an advanced student, but may just confound things for a beginner. It is all theory, and extremely interesting, but their is a lot of lingo, and it can be a little dense sometimes. Also, their are virtually no exercises, which considering Jwing Ming's style of qigong, is probably the safest thing. Also, he has a very specific philosophy of how qigong should work, all the way up to its highest levels, and it should be noted that this philosophy is not shared by all; he advocates a fire method of qigong meditation where others do not always agree this is the best way.

Beginner books I would recommend:
    The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen
    Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body by B.K. Frantzis

3. gerard

gerard Valued Member

Thanks Hwardo, but the person who asked me for advice is not a beginner.

Thanks again for your helpful advice.

My belief is that Qigong is a simple and beatiful as long as you stick to the basics (like the water approach). Any deviations with more occult purposes are unsafe.

Gerard.