Q about uniform and Aikido ryu..

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by turbo7, Sep 7, 2003.

1. turbo7

turbo7 New Member

2 quick questions:

I'm looking for a nice ~$50 uniform that I could use for Aikido. They use a Judo uniform for Aikido right??? so which brand and kind of uniform should I buy?? tigerclaw, century, proforce, etc, etc.... ??

Also, which style of Aikido should I do?? I do TKD, and want to expand my martial arts. I know that around here, there is a Tomiki Aikido, but I haven't looked much furthur. So which Ryu of Aikido should I choose for mostly Self Defense, and effective street situations??

thanks

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Don't buy a uniform until after you join. They wear judo or karate uniforms. Doesn't matter which, doesn't matter what brand. My next uniform will be hemp. I saw an ad for it in Aikido Today Magazine.

Look into Yoshinkan and Tomiki aikido if you want both aikido and something approximating street fighting. Look at the tapes by Robert Koga ("Effective Aikido" series) and Robert MacEwen ("Dynamic Aikido"). The thing is, your question is confuses me, because aikido is not about fighting. It's about not fighting. Quite opposite, I do say. You'd proably enjoy jujitsu more if you want to fight thugs on the street. I study aikido because I *don't* want to fight thugs on the street.

3. turbo7

turbo7 New Member

I'll be more clear.. I want to study another style in those 1 in a million chance that something could happen in which I can't get out of. I just want another thing for another rainy day. I too am against fighting and live by the taoist wayz...

Also, your next uniform will be hemp?? I'm guessing that hemp is a brand and not that stuff ppl smoke right???LOL....

4. dmiller575

dmiller575 Valued Member

Re the uniform. It is good advice to wait until you start but in Aikido there are some techniques that you do as a reaction to having your jacket grabbed. A Karate jacket would probably rip so you do need a Judo jacket.

You may find when you choose a club that your teacher is able to recommend a local store.

Re the street fighting aspect whatever you practice you are likely to gain nothing more than a slight edge over your opponent. Best to avoid the conflict.

5. aikiMac

Naw, I wear karate uniforms. Have two karate uniforms and one judo uniform. Many of my classmates wear karate uniforms. You absolutely need a judo uniform for judo or BJJ, but it's optional in aikido. See what the other people are wearing at your particular school and be like them.

6. aikiMac

Oh, well in that case, any aikido style could be what you're looking for. Have to check out the particular schools near you. In my experience, aikido schools vary significantly, but it's always because of the instructors. At my last school (before I moved to another state) an old ex-military guy had us doing lots and lots and lots and lots of breakfalls and being a little bit agressive in his class, whereas another instructor was very soft, very soft, no break falls, and another instructor experimented with mixing aikido with stick fighting and boxing and "what if" scenarios. All of this was at the same school. At my current school the classes aren't nearly so diverse, but still, there's some variation among the instructors.

7. turbo7

turbo7 New Member

doesn't your karate uniform rip during Aikido when they practive throws and stuff??

8. aikiMac

No, it doesn't, because aikido throws do not pull on the gi. But in judo the gi would rip for sure.

9. dmiller575

dmiller575 Valued Member

Maybe I should have been clearer.

I have had a specific experience where I grabbed Tori's sleeve and held on while they did an Aikido technique against my grip. Their jacket was a Karate jacket and the sleeve ripped. I have seen this happen fairly often over the years. I have to admit that the jackets have been fairly old and frequently washed before they seem to get weak enough to pull appart.

I also have noticed that if you do a lot of Shiko ( knee walking) then the thinner material in Karate trousers tends to wear away at the knees far quicker than Judo trousers

10. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

when you do a lot of shiko you need a judo uniform or wear a hakama
    -------------------------------
    treu victory =self victory

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've had an arm torn on a Karate jacket in an aikido class, I've also had an arm torn off a karate jacket once, but that was something entirely different. ;)

Col

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

I use a karate gi myself. The majority of the Aikidoka that I know and myself included cut the long sleeves off and hem them up like a sword kiogi.

13. hairynipples

hairynipples New Member

I use a hemp gi which wouldn't be great to smoke cause then I'm out a gi! Don't dojos sell gis?

14. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

Can you get tartan hakamas by the way?, or would that be 'oy you, off the mat' time?!

15. aikiMac

Ohhhh, dude, in all seriousness, if anybody makes tartan hakamas, I want one! I'm serious! I want one! That would so rule!

That sleeve-ripping event surprises me. I've never seen a karate sleeve rip in aikido, and most of my classmates wear karate gis ('cause it's so ** hot in the desert!).

16. Mr Blobby

Mr Blobby New Member

I've had a sleeve rip recently on a decent quality karate-gi. Next gi I buy will be a judo-gi for sure! I suppose it depends on what kind of aikido your dojo does - mine is pretty heavy on the nage, so I really should invest after the next pay check...