Punching unconscious

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Reakt, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Hey guys and gals.

I was wondering where is the best place to actually punch someone in the head area to knock them unconscious? At first thought I would of suspected the upper head area but recently I've seen more and more evidence that punching in the Jaw/lower head area is more effective. For example I know in a certain MA theres a Sun fist punch in which you give a direct straight punch to the tip of the chin and it knocks most people straight out.

So which way is better and more importantly why is this?

2. Sankaku-jime

Sankaku-jime Banned Banned

as far as i know, hit the jaw or even better the chin.

it rattles your brain literaly, this is what causes the KO

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

My understanding is that a blow to the side of the chin which causes the head to turn sharply to the side, can cause some kind of loss of something-or-other to the brain, which can result in unconsciousness.

Sorry to be vague, but I'm trying to remember an explanation I was given as a child!

Maybe Mr Google could help you.

4. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

Punching to the jaw can cause the bottom mandible to shift and sometimes cut off oxygen giving blood to the brain. The chin is the usual target to achieve this unfortunate condition.

5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

That's pretty much as i understand it , i believe that there are 2 arteries (carotid i think) that run behind the jaw , and these are what get struck with the jaw bone.

6. bushidoka

bushidoka Valued Member

A knock-out is when the skull moves faster than the brain, causing the brain to penetrate the protective fluid surrounding it and slapping the skull, bruising the brain. this is a knock-out.
    This is easily done by placing the finger tips lightly against the skull on the side plane of the head, and then using a whipping motion, strike using the heel of the palm. this is a knock-out and can even be done with the person wearing hockey helmet. Soft head gear is too shock absorbing to do this easily though and requires much more speed and force.
    Doesn't matter where you hit really, as long as you can snap the skull around. This is why combinations work, they snap the skull in a number of directions very quickly.

7. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

A "Rabbit Punch" doesn't take much force.

You might occasionally hear the ref in the UFC tell the fighters no rabbit punches....boxers as well.

The area is directly back from the ear so any punch behind the ear will hit it.

Outstanding spot for self-defense.

8. kikr

kikr New Member

Knock out punches can be achieved from stricking almost anywhere to the head and without enough force can be achieved from strikes to the solar plexus and abdomen. A good reference point for the face is where the mustache naturally ends, this will transfer enough force to the middle ear to cause vertigo and unconciousness. A strike directly behind the ear can have the same effect, but has a higher risk of damaging the hand. Right below the ear in the hollow behind the ear lobe is my favorite. The damage to the middle ear coupled with the interruption of blood flow is quite effective, even if you don't cause unconsciousness.

9. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

the chin....in boxing slang thats caled to "hitting him right on the button"

being dazed is sometimes referred to as chin music......

while i have never been knocked out i have seen stars..litterally or sometimes a big white flash

i dont think it has anything to do with the carotid being cut off.....why
    1. there are lots of coleral blood flow in skull....
    2. blood flow is not cut off for suffecent time
    3. after knock out most guys experence concussion symptomes...indicating brain trama

i think i does have to do with the the skull moving faster than the head and being banged up agaist the skull......

other good spots are the temple.......

chin and temple are spots that most guys can get a knock out from

but real powerfull guys (ussally heavywieghts) can get them anywhere on the head.

and "bunches of punches helps"

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

no google wont help you.....pretty much the jury is still out and most dr/scentist cant agree if its coup or counter coup action....

and also its a hard thing to study.kinda unethical

example add in paper....
    looking for 200 volenteers to get punched in the head until unconcious

control grop takes it on the chin, other group nailed in the forehead, other group head violently twisted....any takers

unless the nazis get in power again i think we will just have to deal in theories ad avoid head shots :)

11. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

True.

When "Hit on the button", the jaw phyically hits against the mandibular nerve, which is behind the hinge of the jaw.

Glass jaws can easily move and make contact with the nerve. nighty night. :)

12. JEEPEE

JEEPEE Valued Member

Punching someone unconscius.

Hi everyone.
    I'm a complete "illiterate" as far as punching someone unconscius ie consernd
    and i have to admit that i wass never wildly enthousiastic about someone who
    deliberately go's for a ko on his oponent,in whatever fightsport.
    I may not now something about ko's,but i do now the human brein is quite vulnerable.
    So,when i read something like this,the verry first basic question that comes in my mind is this:haw DANGERUS is this ???
    Could the person who gets hit go into a coma,or even die becouse of this ???
    Are whe talking about fightsport here or about selfdefence ???
    If it is the first case,then i have to say,fightsport has to be more sport then
    fight,more safethy then winn at all cost.
    That's why,IF this is dangerus,i find it moraly unacsepteble.
    When a boxer dies in the ring,whe all cry:chame.
    And yet,here we are discussing the most efficient whay to punch someone unconscius.
    If whe are talking about selfdefence,first i have no problem what soever with that,but perhaps it might be wise to now exactly what you are dooing and what the consequence might be,if only not to do something that might be called "overkill"
    Perhaps i have been putting this a bit sharp here and i hope you don't find this to blunt,i have never the intension to hurt someones feelings.
    All i hope is to get some serius answers from the more "expert" off you,afther all,to me,punching someone unconscius is not a childsplay.
    Forgive me for my English,i'm Dutchspeaking.
    Greatings JEEPEE :)

13. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

JEEPEE,

I think people are discussing this more out of interest than because we all want to go out and knock someone unconscious.

Well, speaking for myself, anyway! :D

14. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

not me i fight in the ring.......i want to knock guys out...he wants to knock me out

in fact i dont think ther is anything i would rather do than knock a guy out.

and yes this is dangerous....like all contact sports

15. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Sure, a boxer wants to win by a knockout.

But it's very rare that you see a boxer actually get knocked unconscious, right? 'Knocked out' for the purpose of the fight, but not actually unconscious.

16. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

The only think to really claify on the excellent posts is "how" to hit the chin. Obviously a head-on isn't too hot, and from my experience doesn't have a lot of effect (at least not for KOing). It typically seems like the hook is the key tool for this shot (and having recieved it, I vouch for it working). I don't think most folks are good/fast enough to off angle and hit it.

- Matt

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I think the cross is better than the hook in this respect because it's straighter, but obviously you need to work the opening for it first - you can't just throw it off the cuff and expect it to work.

The hook could do the job, and doesn't need to be set up like a cross does, but has a lot less chance of connecting right on the 'sweet spot'.

18. TigerDude

TigerDude Valued Member

The reason you don't see many boxers get knocked out like this is they keep their chin tucked to prevent getting hit there (also protects your throat for your "dirty" fighters). Also, the glass chin guys don't tend to make it to the point where you would see them fight unless you're hanging out in boxing gyms.

19. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

yeah total....

knocked down three times...tko
    cut tko
    ref stops a guy taking a beating ko
    guy is flash knock ...ref tryies to talk to him and hes inchherant

i had one like that.....
    knocked down came right back up.....
    ref......who are you....
    me tj
    ref...what round is it
    me ...its the second
    ref...who are are you fighting
    me...rw
    ref where are we......
    me.....san fanssico...of coarse..i can hear the ocean..(we were in new jersey and no wear near the ocean)

fight over ko

few times do they have to bring out the smelling salts

20. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

matt, johny...dont really matter.....matt you probably throw a better hook
    and johny better cross.....you see alot of knock outs with ether