Punching Drill Training - Wushu (White Sash)

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by stonze, Jun 15, 2013.

1. stonze

stonze Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmx4d8IQSw0"]Punching Drill Training - Wushu (White Sash) - YouTube[/ame]

Punching Drills - Wushu (White Sash)

In this short video, I do a few punching drills. I try to focus on throwing my punches as accurate as I can, then snap my punching hand back to guard as fast as I can.

I also throw "Reverse" punches in this drill as well. Some of you may know what a reverse punch is, some of you may not. It throw correctly, they can reach spaces traditional punches can't, and at a faster rate.

My style of Kung Fu that I study is Wushu.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

For white belt standard there are some real positives - you have asenae of natural rhythm and your hands are in some aemblance of a guard most of the time. On the critique side, the punches look too "slappy" amd flailing and you are basically arm punches. I think part of the problem is that godawful "Bob" bag - you can't hit those with any real whack or they fly everywhere.

If you get either a proper heavy bag or else a floor to ceiling ball you would find better results for your punching.

Love the enthusiasm! Keep it up and keep posting :)

3. stonze

stonze Valued Member

Thanks man, I really appreciate it. Some guys in my last few threads suggested that I really focus on keeping my head up and bringing my punching hand back to guard faster. So I wanted to focus on that before I started the lesson that day at the dojo.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know what your feet look like but you're definitely rotating your body well when you throw your right hand, but you could benefit from rotating your hips with lead hand punches as well.

You can also increase the range of your straight punches and add power to them by extending your shoulder more. In the video you're punching with the max distance of just your arms on straight punches. To understand what I mean by this you can just raise your arm in front of you until it's parallel to the floor and then reach forward without turning (your shoulder will be the only part moving) and it adds a few inches to your reach. Augmented with hip rotation and proper foot work, this makes a punch more powerful.

Not sure if that's what you're going for with these drills though.

5. stonze

stonze Valued Member

thanks for the tips bro,
    you can see my feet work when I do the bag drill towards the end of the vid

What would you suggest as far as the "reverse" punches go? because your breakdown on the straights and rotating was on point.

6. Ero-Sennin

Sorry! I watched 2 min. of you punching and thought the rest would be the same stuff :p. I'm not sure how footwork is supposed to look in kung fu but by boxing standards you're flat footed and legs are too stiff. I would say you're on point with grasping the concept of pivoting the foot with a punch though, just need to keep working it.

What is a reverse punch? Are they the back hand punches you're throwing?

7. stonze

stonze Valued Member

yezzir

8. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I'm loving that you're posting so many videos so early in your training. And really, you have some real natural sense for martial arts it seems.

The critiques I'm giving aren't meant to in any way say you aren't doing great, just tell you how you could do better.

You seem to be pulling your punches back too early.what I see happening is that you are making only partial contact due to this. You can throw a dozen weak punches, and accomplish less than you could with one strong one. You can't over commit, but you can't under commit either. Finding that balance is important.

As for your backfist strikes (I've never heard them called reverse punches, but that doesn't matter) it's all about rotation. What I saw was you just sort of throwing the back of your fist at the target. That will doubtlessly hurt, but you can do it better.

Try holding your fist so your pinky faces the target. Then when you do a backfist, rotate your hand at the last moment so you hit with the backs of your front two knuckles, you will find you get more speed and power.

9. stonze

stonze Valued Member

thanks for the tips and feed bro
    I can see that by the comments so far, I have made improvements since my last post

10. Ero-Sennin

To be honest I wouldn't use a back fist (reverse punch) for anything much. Maybe a spinning back fist as it has worked for some in an MMA environment, but I can't see it being a useful enough technique to develop to focus a lot of attention on. I could see it as a diversion for a set up at best. Doesn't mean you shouldn't work on though, just not my cup of tea so I have no opinion on it. You could probably tell me a whole lot more about it.

11. stonze

stonze Valued Member

well the reverse punch is used to 2 reasons.
    1-speed
    2-hitting special places regular punches can't

for example.. if you are in clinch range with an attacker and they try to punch you.. you can try to deflect the punch and counter with a punch of your own and a takedown or whatever..

or, you can deflect / defend the punch and throw a reverse punch aimed at the top of the lip and under the nose and hit that pressure point right there and do some amazing damage to your attacker !!

you would not be able to do this with a regular punch because there would not be enough room to **** the arm back or extend the punch good enough to stun or hurt the attacker

12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

That's like to say, "My style of western boxing that I study is boxing". There is no such Kung Fu style that's called Wushu. Wushu is Kung Fu and Kung Fu is Wushu.

As long as you are hitting a solid object, you are on the right training path. May be next time you should record your footwork. There are

- 1 step multiple punches,
    - 1 step 1 punch,
    - multiple steps 1 punch,

that are used to cover different ranges of distance assuming your opponent is moving in fast speed. The multiple steps 1 punch is hard to train on bag but you can train it on bouncing ball.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  13. stonze

stonze Valued Member

there is a difference

"wushu" was made by a chinese emperor who wanted his army to know "wushu" as a military defensive fighting system.

"wu" stands for military and "shu" stands for art
    there are many difference in kung fu and wushu.. stance, forms, and many more

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The 术"shu" stands for method. The 艺"Yi" stands for art. Which Chinese emperior are you talking about? Is your Wushu system a northern Chinese system or a southern Chinese system?

15. stonze

stonze Valued Member

that i don't know, and that's also a very good question

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

All those are not important. The important is to be able to land your fist on your opponent's face. :)

17. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

It's cool that you are posting videos of your training. You have some good speed for someone starting out!

Just some observations on terminology -

I have always heard the term reverse punch used for the traditional style straight punch from the hip. You see it a lot in Karate of course, but we use it at my Kung Fu school as well.

What I think you are doing that you call the reverse punch we call a Gwa at my Kung Fu school, or a backfist.

Anyways - keep on posting your stuff!

18. stonze

stonze Valued Member

keep the feedback coming guys
    i'm lovin it

19. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

If you can "just" train your jab, cross combo and "nothing else" for 3 years (3 years is just an arbitrary time period), you will find great benefit for the rest of your life. The hardest part is "only to train this and nothing else". When you spar, you also have to force yourself to only use jab, cross combo and nothing else.

MA is not how much that you know but how good that you can execute. You have to build one technique at a time. The jab, cross combo will be a good "door guarding" technique to develop.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

stonze, from your description it sounds like you are actively pulling your hand back to a guard. This is a waste of energy and dangerous if in close range as the opponent can cause you to hit yourself with your own fist, even pin your hand to your body where you have little leverage.

Instead, just drop the elbow and bring it in. Your hand will automatically come back to a guard position.

After a power technique, there is a recovery. So after a power punch, you recover by relaxing, which allows the elbow to drop and to come in naturally. From the relaxed state, you can strike again at any time.

From the video, it looks like you are doing it correctly on many of your punches. The difference will be the times you pull your hand back incorrectly so you are not striking through the target as much and thus you are losing power. Try to always strike through the target and let the recovery be natural based on good structure and balance.