ptkalista's thoughts on PTK, open challenges, etc.

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

I am sure Tirsia is not a spanish, why would we use spanish words if we have the ancient Filipino art? Maybe I am wrong but maybe you are all spanish speakers. But pekiti or dekiti are not spanish they mean in Filipino to come close together almost kissing. You can say it is spanish but we know it is Filipino. :woo:

2. Karl

Karl Valued Member

I didnt say any about dekiti, what dou you know about dekiti?
    FRom what I know Dekiti is ilongo and means malapit --very tighly close, to close, cornered area....what else.. and Tirsia comes from tercio for sure...
    And I didnt say pekiti is spanish and whats more Im sure there are not so many people here who speaks Spanish.....
    BTW whats the dif between dekiti and Pekiti?

3. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

My friend, to an ilongo there is not too much difference in de and pe. If you turn the alphabet d counter clockwise you have p. Do not confuse yourself with this spelling the meaning is still the same like Pilipino and Filipino. ;)

4. Karl

Karl Valued Member

Thanks I just wanted to know the diff between the 2 arts.

5. Azazeal

Azazeal Valued Member

And there I thought the ancient Filipino Writing is Baybayin..

de = [​IMG]
    pe = [​IMG]

Now the funny 'turn the letter' doesnt work anymore :(

6. Gladius

Gladius New Member

hi ya all! i'm getting goose bumps by just reading these posts! such a funny thread! cheers!

7. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Can you use those ancient Filipino alphabets to spell escrima or arnis?

8. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

You see my friends, we in PTK are also taught the counter and re-counter of verbal techniques as part of our curiculum. Like the Greeks of Sparta we also debate with logic and academics. :woo:

9. Gladius

Gladius New Member

hmmmn.. you really like the greeks eh.. err i mean the spartan way huh.

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I unfortunatley regret to inform you that 'Tirsia' is derived from the SPANNISH word 'tercio' so really when you say you have no Spannish in your art, that is not stickly true.

And it may be a fickle point here, but instead of saying 'Like the Greeks of Sparta' You should actually be saying 'Like the Spartans of Greece' You see Sparta was but one small country in the Greek Nation. Just some minor points but they do say it is the little things that count;)

Fot those who are asking what the name of the style means, well when I was training in PTK I was always taught that the name meant to be in close quarters, but that was a long long time ago and I could have miss heard it.

Best regards

Pat

11. Pat OMalley

I think we should start a Bring back BGile campaign, jeez that would really make for some grood entertainment.

Come back BGile all is forgiven:rolleyes: Or is he already here??? Who knows only time will tell.

San Mig's and Balut we cry for we await the return of the sacred BGile:D

Best regards

Pat

12. Pat OMalley

Can you use it to spell Tirsia or Tercio?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You are, in fact, wrong. Tirsia is a Spanish loanword. Pekiti, I don't debate, is probably an indigenous word. I certainly can't bring to mind any Spanish word that seems similar.

And you use Spanish words for the same reason that any culture uses the words of any other culture. Exposure, cultural exchange (however that exchange comes about), and so on.

It's not a point of dishonour, if that's what you're worried about. The Spanish were there. That's a fact. They aren't there now. Also a fact. But to suggest that there was no influence makes no sense.

Stuart

14. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Toshay my friend I see you also possess our verbal counter re-counter techniques.

I was wrong Tercia means to cut into thirds. Which still means it is about the blade and connected to ancient true kali art of the Filipinos. :woo:

15. Pat OMalley

That is so true, even if you fight an enemy on a regular basis they influence what you do, there fighting style will in turn influence your fighting style and you will adapt to try to counter their strong points, and whether people like it or not there is no FMA system that is not influenced in one way or another by the Spannish occupation.

The lauguage has been influence, the culture has been influenced and the fighting systems have been influenced and that is fact, as the only way there would be no Spanish influence in the Filipino culture and martial arts is if they were never there in the first place, and we all know that is not true. Hell even the British and the Americans have influenced the FMA at some point and I am sure they influenced our fighting styles too.

Surely instead of bitching about how hard one by the Philippines has been done by the Spanish occupancy they should actually be telling people if it were not for them (Filipino's) the Spanish would not have become known as some of the best swordsmen in the world, after all 300+ years of confrontation must have influenced Spanish sword play too.

Best regards

Pat

Best regards

Pat

16. Pat OMalley

Thank you I had some good teachers over the years, and some PTK.

But the name, term, whatever you want to call it is still Spanish in origin. So you cant say you have no Spanish in your system if you have Spanish in your name.

Best regards

Pat

17. ptkalista

ptkalista Banned Banned

Yes tercia is spanish but not tirsia when the spelling is different. Kali is the original filipino not in spanish but the true art.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It's a Spanish word adapted into Filipino. That doesn't mean your art is Spanish. But the word, regardless of minor spelling changes, is still influenced by Spanish.

That's just the way it is chief.

Stuart

19. Pat OMalley

With regards to infuence lets look at the most prolific martial art in the world. BOXING. No it's not Western Boxing as some call it it is actually English if we want to be truthful about it. Anyway enough of my ranting on that bit.

Boxing orriginated from England and is practiced all over the world not just the west (that's why I rant) and in the old days it stemed from the English Science of Defense or Martial Art for want of a better word, the use of swords, sheilds, STICKS (cudgels) etc were practiced by these age old Masters, from that Boxing was born in England.

Now obviously Boxing grew in many of the British colonies around the world and more so in places such as what we now call the USA (hence some call it Western Boxing), now it was not until the American's introduced Boxing to the Philippines that it took on the shape it now has today. The hands are held closer in, the fighters bob and weave, more complicated footwork etc. Up until that point it was arms out stretch Gentleman Jim like you stood toe to toe and battered the hell out of each other.

The Filipino's added their flavour to it and influence boxing in such a way that we now see something that no longer resembles what many 300 years ago would not recognise as Boxing.

Now with the Spanish being in the Philippines for over 300 years, the British for a short period and the Americans for a bit longer than the British, all these 3 groups must have at some time fought with the local populace, now the local populace would have had to adjust there methods of fighting to adapt to each new opponent and like wise the invadors, so each side would in some way influence how you fought and how you adapted your fighting techniques.

So to say there is no Spanish influence in the FMA is like trying to say there is no Filipino or American influence in Boxing and there is not FMA influence in Spanish Sword fighting.

Impossible each must have influenced the other in one form or another and there is no denying it. It is human nature and human interaction that infuences all around them.

Best regards

pat

20. Pat OMalley

So using your point of argument Eskrima must be Filipino as the Spanish would use the term Esgrima and Arnis must be Filipino as the Spanish would use the term Arnes. And Kali must therefor be Indian as it is a Hindu term for a Goddess which would mean that Kali is an Indian martial art and not Filipino at all.:woo:

And Kali is also an ancient Celtic (Scottish) Goddess of destruction which would mean that you are an Indian Celtic Warrior, Now that is a scary thought:confused:

Best regards

Pat