psychology of modern martial artists

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by gt3, Jun 5, 2005.

1. gt3

gt3 Member

In the "old days" martial artist's, of any style (including even taichi), actually fought, and usually with an audience. these days the only ones we really see fighting are the cage match, 'mixed martial arts' fighters on pay-per-view.

For various reasons most people who call themselves 'true' martial artists, don't ever get into fights. I've been into martial arts for nearly 20 years since i was a kid and i almost never get into anything that would be considered a real fight. Yet, everyday for at least the last 10 years ive trained in martial arts so much that i fight in my head when my mind is idle (while waiting in line, while tryin to fall asleep, while in the shower, etc) Sometimes the opponents in my head are various people i know, sometimes they're faceless.

My question is is this bad for a person. To think this much of violence and hurting other humans? While i'm visualizing myself fighting its rarely done out of anger, but instead flow of technique. Though often theres an audience watching. Which makes me wonder pyschologically what this means. Is it some sociopathic thing or it mere practice of skill.

I don't ever actually want to 'hurt' anyone but i do seem to want to apply my skills on actual people sometimes, so maybe thats why its all in my head

2. MDN

MDN Banned Banned

No, It's a good way to mentally prepare for an attack. Most bodyguards and bouncers do this sort of training. The idea is that you need a battle plan everytime you enter a room. This sort of thing can also make you look more confident(and more attractive to the ladies ;) ). Well thats all if it's done correctly.

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Visualization is a good way to practice actually. I don't think theres anything wrong with it.

4. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Someone who was sociopathic wouldn't bother asking that question, they wouldn't care. There is nothing intrinsically bad in any thought, it is the actions that you decide to carry out as a result of it that cause the harm. You recognise fighting is wrong, you have no wish to harm anyone, there is nothing bad about what you are thinking. It might be a bit obsessive though:eek:

5. jroe52

jroe52 Valued Member

some of us are still buddhists, and for that i'm glad i haven't gotten in a fight since i was like 5 hahah.

but, i think some used ma's on battle, some in temples, some for meditating, some as guardians (shaolin), some even as assassins.

if we fight less now, thats probably good for later;)

6. ThaiBxr

ThaiBxr Banned Banned

Hahahaha ahh the innuendos that could be tugged out (pun intended) from that one.

Ahh... I'm way too blunt for this section, why am I in here.

7. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats a great idea, its not bad at all. I do it all the time its a great way of familiarizing your self with the fluency of combat. I usually put the scenes to music, that helps alot, but the fights i have, they are hard wired into my head, i can play out every fight, they come to mind given a certain song.

8. Talyn

Talyn Reality Hacker

I don't think there's anything wrong with visualising fighting (though I am biased because I also do it :D ), as it's just a way of visualising possibilities. It's if you begin imagining nothing but pain, death, destruction etc, when it might start to be considered a bit sociopathic.

9. sean

sean THOR!

sounds like you just want to test yourself, or have some fun in 'fighting' someone, or as some people have said, you just visualize violence/fighting.

10. Bograt

Bograt Banned Banned

Same as all above. What I would also ask is why you are thinking about things so much are you happy at the moment or are stressed preocupied with difficult situations???? Could be your just feeling tence and undervalued and want to push yourself forward.