"Proper" Belt length?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Dervish, Mar 23, 2007.

1. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

I wear mine, I pay no attention to how long it is. I just kind of, put it on.

2. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

get your belt one size bigger that way you can cut 6-12 inches off if you want to

3. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Having had a quick read thru Taekwon-Do by choi Honh Hi it doesnt state any proper belt lenghth but aparently it should be 5cm wide and the tags when appropriate to be 3 cm from the end 1cm for each kingdom. Dan grades should have their rank in roman numeral on their left hand side.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I wrap my belt round twice, then how long the two loose ends are depends on how soon after Christmas it is :eek:

Mitch

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

We find that ordering a belt one size larger than the uniform size usually fits "just right" as well.

In the condensed encyclopedia edition I was reading it mentioned that since 1985 (I think), the ITF has worn their belts wrapped only "once". Is this still current?

6. Dervish

Dervish New Member

I was provided with a new student handbook when I began my (ITF) lessons about six months ago, and the 'how to' instructions for tying the belt was pretty specific about being wrapped twice. Didn't say anything about the length of the belt, however...

7. TeaKD

TeaKD New Member

Generally colour belts are wrapped twice but Dan grades are wrapped once. :D

8. TheMadhoose

yeah thomas the once around thing is a newer ITF philosphy of represent finish with one blow serve one master.

9. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

I'd be in trouble with that then. My belt is one size smaller than my uniform, and it fits/hangs perfectly.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Who gives a flying funk what your belt looks like. Can you fight?

11. TheMadhoose

Hey Dad its not wether you can fight, its wether you can look good doing it

12. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I really hope to god that the majority of TKD schools are not worrying about belt lengths. TKD doesn't need anymore of this nonsense.

13. Dervish

Dervish New Member

I agree, Martial Dad.
    It makes it harder on us newcomers. We are already giving 100% focus towards technique and such, that having to worry about offending the more advanced belts is a distraction. In addition to being role models of fortitude, the higher belts can be somewhat intimidating, even if they don't mean to be.

14. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

It don't matter, but I like mine to hang low. I think it looks better.

15. Lily

Lily Valued Member

The lower it hangs the better.... :p

16. Flash1

Flash1 New Member

We still talking bout belts rite :rolleyes:

17. _StRiKeR_

_StRiKeR_ Valued Member

:eek: lol. Some ones mind is in the gutter. :p

18. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Yeah Flash1 (with a name like that), clean your mind out.

:p