"Proper" Belt length?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Dervish, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Dervish

Dervish New Member

Does anyone know if there is a standard length that a TKD belt should hang down beyond the knot? I've talked to fellow students, who seem to differ in opinions. Overall, the blackbelts seem to like belts that hang lower, as it makes their middle stances (and such) appear lower.. The middle belts seem to like a shorter belt, as it doesn't get in the way....
    I'm going for belt promotion and haven't decided what size to request.
    I would appreciate any input, - I've looked at the forum but can't find anything.
    Thanks ahead of time for your help!

2. Mevans

Mevans Valued Member

I don't think it matters.

What I've noticed is thinner peoples belts hang lower and fatter peoples.

3. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Dervish - have your belt ends hanging 6.7 inches above your right knee and 10.2 inches above your left. Now you'll be deadly.

4. AllieB

AllieB Valued Member

j/c why

5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Oh, forgot the smiley on my post. It should end with this :rolleyes:

6. Cait

Cait da Bionic is BACK!

so far as i know, it's all about personal preference. i have mine a size larger than my uni, mostly so that the embroidery all shows, but i've liked that length anyways...

just go with what you like. as a warning tho, the longer ones tend to fly up and hit you in the face when you kick... :rolleyes:

7. Dervish

Dervish New Member

Thanks for all the input - I had belt promotions earlier tonight and was debating what size to go with. I'm not sure if my new belt is considered large or average for my size, but it extends approximately (I'm guessing, it's not on me currently!) 15 inches beyond the knot... which works out to about 7 inches above the knee (I'm 5'5).
    I normally would not have worried about it, but there are so many strong opinions at class that I didn't want to do something that was not considered respectful to the art.
    Thanks again for all the input!

8. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Short belt annoy me as they seem to come undone quicker, but longer belt can be annoying too. My belt is quite long so whenever I do a high kick I end up getting slapped in the face with it....

At the end of the day, a belt is a belt. Who cares what length it is. We don't get a choice in the belt length, everyone's is the same (well, the BB belt length anyway). I think it's around 280cm long.

9. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

I use the rule, that if the knot is just below the navel, the end of the belt should reach to just below (1" or 2.5 cm) the center of the clavicle (spelling?).

Brian

10. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

when i was a competitors i didn't want long belts because sometimes it would just get in my way, but now as a coach i like my belt a bit longer than before and it looks great :D

11. whitematt

whitematt Valued Member

Right spelling. Are you saying hold the ends of your belt up to see if they reach the clavicle?

12. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

I prefer a shorter to stop myself getting hit in the eye with it. Funniliy enough this also how I judge when its time time to get a hair cut.

13. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

I find that its generaly accepted that your belt be able to go around your body and tie in a knot

14. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

Yep!

15. bmcgonag

bmcgonag Valued Member

HA!:D

16. Dervish

Dervish New Member

ABSOLUTELY!!
    It's still hard enough for me to get the knot correct and the two sides the same length!!
    :bang:

17. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

i personally like 6-10" of slack on each end. enough to tie it, and enough for it to droop slightly, but not enough for it to go flying everywhere, get caught on things, or be hard to cast aside when it comes loose.

for me, once the belt is tied, i like the ends to come back around to sides of my hips - so two and a half times my circumference, plus knot, i suppose.

18. tkdhkddave

tkdhkddave Valued Member

Depends on how many times it goes round your waist as well I guess once or twice, but that will depend on your tkd school. org etc. when i was in tagb it was a real long belt that went around twice, when we left and rejoined the itf proper the correct method was once around but with a shorter belt.

19. Kaizen-th3

Kaizen-th3 Valued Member

I used to have a longer belt, but the shorter ones grew on me. Now my belt goes about 6 inches after the knot. It doesn't get in the way :love:

20. Flash1

Flash1 New Member

I wear my belt so that when it is on and tied it is one hand length away from my knee. I find this to be perfect for me. It appears as the proper length, not to long, not to short. Long belts remind me of the ghetto gangsta look with the pants and white tee 10 sizes to big, short ones remind me of Steve Erkal.