"Professor" Alan Thornton "10th Dan" awarded an MBE

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dean Winchester, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Dale Dugas

Dale Dugas My door is always open

He seems to be nothing but a mouthboxer.

Created a system that no one knows about.

Has not any known schools nor public student base to back up his claims of being a known teacher. Membership in pay for play Sokey Dokey clubs all over.

Seems he has been caught in his lies. Lies always come back to bite you in the rear end. WOMA and other associations he is in are well known for containing more of his ilk, lying conning mouthboxers who are not what they claim to be. Seems people want to be a martial arts master without actually really mastering a martial arts.

And on top of this he is crying about maybe having it revoked due to his made up silliness? Seems like someone needs to grow more testicular fortitude.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think I found a video of this instructor doing a demonstration for a school class:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlwgLmDTu7M"]dbdmartialarts.com Illustrious Grandmasters of Martial ArtsReel -4 - YouTube[/ame]

I realise this was to a very undiscerning audience at the time, but given the video was supposed to be used in an "illustrious grandmasters" montage, I'm a little surprised at a few of the missing features from how I understand karate kata should be done, mostly involving the hips. From what I can see, every movement he performs with his arms is entirely isolated from the hips, meaning all the power he can generate is from his torso rather than his connection with the ground (i.e. ignoring the massive muscles we all have surrounding our legs and hips).

I'm certainly not convinced that the guy in the above video knew enough to be awarding anyone a 5th dan in karate, as his form is considerably worse than the one below by a 6-year old girl (admittedly from another style of karate, but the principles of generating power should be the same):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBP8-6DtBBs"]Enpi and Kankudai by Mahiro (6-year-old girl) 6æ*³ã®å¥³ã®å*ã®ç‡•é£›ã¨è¦³ç©ºå¤§ - YouTube[/ame]

I'm not a karateka, however, so someone please correct me if I'm being unfair here!

Incidentally the girl in the second video shows potential to be an amazing martial artist, possibly even a legitimate 10th dan one day, so hopefully her parents will continue to support her ongoing development!

3. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Lol whut? Is this not measured in money? That's the only kind of recognition that matters here in the States. Not money you give usually, but money you take from others. :p

You're just mad you can't tax our tea anymore. :p

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

BTW, shouldn't it be spelled Ser? As in Ser Jamie Lannister.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Blame George R R Martin for that.

Americans. :rolleyes:

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Die, rebel scum!

7. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

This erroneous award may not seem like a big deal to some but it is to me.

My late father was awarded the MBE for his 40 years (legitimate) service to Aikido which was one of the proudest days of his life.
    This chancer just serves to demean us all and cast doubt on such dedicated individuals as my old man.

I have therefore asked the committee to investigate.

8. Dale Dugas

Dale Dugas My door is always open

9. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Good lord , talk about a can of worms !

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Please let us know if you too get a reply from the committee.

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Can of worms indeed!

A part of me feels sorry that he's in the position he's in now, what with all this negative media being pushed around him. I would hate to be him right now. What his friends and family must think of him...

Another (bigger) part of me thinks he entirely deserves it for being so dishonest in the first place and he deserves every bit of attention he's getting.

12. Aegis

I'd feel much sorrier if he hadn't spent years gathering titles instead of skill and had actually done something worthwhile with those skills. Instead he's done very little but pretend to be something he's not.

13. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Basically this.

I don't like it when people are hounded as a general rule of thumb because (to me) there's a sense of verbal vigilantism. Which is not something I can really support ever.

At the exact same time I can't really offer him any sympathy or empathy because he put himself in this situation through years of what appears to be utter dishonesty.

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If someone has slightly exaggerated their CV to gain students, get a better job, or add a couple of letters at the end of their business card that's one thing, but when there are massive fraudulent claims that is quite another.

If Mr Thornton can back up his claims, then it's us left with egg on our faces, but somehow I can't see that happening.

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Has he done anything to harm anyone? If he's bought a load of meaningless (and yes, a martial arts grade is ultimately meaningless) titles and awards and not used them to defraud anyone or harm anyone, then who are we to condemn him for inflating his own ego?

He doesn't teach, so he's not using the titles and awards to trick students
    He isn't selling books or DVDs, so he's not using his titles as marketing for such products
    He isn't making media appearances, so he's not using his titles to position himself as a martial arts spokesman.

His worst crime appears to be duping the honours committee. And? They're human - they probably get duped all the time.

He's done nothing to justify the campaign against him in the media or on this site.

16. Aegis

Obtaining an award through deception isn't worth uncovering and fixing in and of itself?

17. holyheadjch

Not if doing so means character assassination in the rags. Far more damage is being done by this misguided crusade than by Alan Thornton.

18. Aegis

How is it character assassination to point out lies? If the papers were claiming that this man is a despicable human being, then I would agree that this cannot be inferred at all from the information we know, however the fact is that this guy has done nothing for the martial arts (other than making it more difficult to find decent instructors) but has been complicit in tying to obtain an award for his services to the arts is very much worth looking at.

19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Really? Maybe if it was a private endeavor, with the ultimate certification/award/honor in question being completely pretend and not significant to the larger public at all.

You guys are too soft for me. I think this guy should get crushed and everyone who allowed this to happen should get crushed as well. Shame them to hell. It's different when it's a government awarded honor that the larger public acknowledges. You shouldn't make things up like this, and you shouldn't allow people in positions to award/certify these things to not do in depth checks on people they are certifying. Not on this level. This guy isn't even a clever con artist from what I'm reading. I mean hell, the majority of MAP can look at the credentials and go "pfffft." How hard would it have been to go down to some karate dojo and ask about it if you're a certifying official?

Willful negligence and incompetence (usually just laziness), along with a guy making malarky up and getting a state sanctioned award for it? Screw all of them, I hope they burn. It's a disgrace.

20. holyheadjch

Who has he harmed? Has one of his former students (assuming he has ever had any) spoken out against him? Has he ever earned a penny as a result of his exaggerations? What has he done to deserve having his face plastered over the Daily Mail and The Telegraph day after day?

This situation could have been dealt with quietly and the man could keep at least some of his dignity, but no, some butt hurt 'martial artist' decided to feed the guy to the press instead.