Pressure points in FMA

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BadMunkey, Jul 7, 2003.

1. BadMunkey

BadMunkey New Member

Hi Guys!

Gimme a few of your thoughts on the use of pressure points in the FMA...

I know a few... the more i think about it the more I seem to think of..(tell me if any of these don't count!) things like 'fanging' using or abusing, depending on how u look at it, the salt seller to inflict a fair amount of pain, striking to the armpit, striking the nipples, I know of one point in the upper forearm as well...erm..

anyways..

• To what extent are pressure points used in FMA?
      what are your general thoughts about the use of pressure points?
      where can I learn more about using pressure points?
    thanks
    Nick

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I don't use them

I don't rate them

Apart from with my 30"x2" rattan sticks - then the whole body is a pressure point :D

3. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Does hitting the breakial nerve on a gunting count as hitting a pressure point.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yes - I guess it does.

5. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

Then I love pressure points, they way an arm jolts back and dies after a good gunting is so cool, and they are absolute agony.

As long as it is still gonna be real sore if you don't hit on that sweet spot, and doesn't totaly sell yourself if you go for it then I think they are probably useful to know, might also be useful for restraining someone without doing real damage.

I'd still rather be hitting them with a stick though.

6. BadMunkey

BadMunkey New Member

Well yeh.. hittin em with the stick is always a winner!! hehe cant fault it! And a nice gunting is always a pleasure to serve someone with.. esp when ya hit a sweet spot of course!

I'm just wondering how effective a good knowledge of pressure points really is.... as I dont have a whole load of knowledge about them I figure i'd ask. :D

7. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-Virtually all systems use them to some extent or another. Modern Arnis under the late Remy Presas had a very strong emphasis in this area, espescially in the later years due to his close collaboration with both George Dillman and Wally Jay.

8. moromoro

moromoro New Member

gunting means scissors in tagalog. THERE IS NO OTHER MEANING FOR THIS WORD..

but yeah you stab someone with a gunting and it becomes a presure point.

yes, some FMA systems have a very extensive pressure point sylybus. mOst people in this forum and other forums are only aware of systems in there respected countries but in the Philippines there are hundreds of systems still with no western exposure. (mainly from mindanao) some of these systems are downright awesome its scary!!!!!!!!!

9. krys

krys Valued Member

Yes there are hundreds of martial arts systems in the Philippines, mostly in the south and unknown in the west....
    As an example there are over a hundred silat systems in Mindanao.....

Pressure points are very important in some systems, my GM told me one can not grapple properly or defend himself against locks-chokes if he doesn't know the pressure points...... He asked once to put a tight bjj triangle on his neck, just by pressing somewhere on my foot he unlocked everything....

10. shadow joe

shadow joe seeker of truth

i dunno, i like to learn them but using them is another story. If i HAVE to i'll poke at the ones i know to move the other person - but if it's just sparring I never like to do something to someone else that would **** me off... when we're trying to work together...

but then again, i like being ready for everything, i definitely use 'em but i can't recall having the opposite done, except some joint locks in BJJ....

whatever works, i guess it's fair game,

11. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Alot of arts use them , however do not know it . They know to execute a technique and are not told why it hurts so much and works so well. I say get the technique down and worry about the why behind it later in your training.