Power Breaking and Hapkido...

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Bigmikey, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I had a GREAT class last night. Worked on kicks and technique the whole time because there were only two of us in class. It was like getting a private lesson! I learned a few things I was doing wrong, and got a little insight into the theory behind some of what we do.

I also had the chance to ask what style of HKD we're learning. My teacher said its Soon, Sung or Soo (can't be sure because of his accent) moo or mo Kwan and that we're part of the Korea HKD federation. Does that mean anything to anyone? I honestly dont know if thats a good thing or not, lol.

Each year, in September, my school puts on a TKD tourney and allows HKD students to participate in forms and breaking. This year I was going to do flying nakbup over a 10 person pyramid but because of my knee they wont let me do it :( However, many months ago I asked about getting into power breaking. My teacher suggested I could perhaps put on a power breaking demo! He has to clear it with the head honcho, but if Im allowed I will be stoked!

I think I asked this before but I cant remember where or when so forgive me, but has anyone done any power breaking? I have almost exactly 4 weeks to prepare and I'd like to get 6-10 boards. Any tips would be hugely appreciated!!!

2. Waldgeist

Waldgeist Men who beg aren't heroes

That's a bit weird, as my school is also part of the Korea Hapkido Federation, and yet our website says we do Hapkido Moohak Kwan. Maybe the KHF is several combined Kwans?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korea_Hapkido_Federation#Recognized_Kwans_of_the_KHF

Looks like it's lots of kwans.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. Bigmikey

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What techniques are you looking at? What kind of boards? With or without spacers?

mitch

5. Bigmikey

Mitch, I was thinking hammer fist or knife hand (ridge hand as a last resort), and spacers as far as I know at the moment, but would it be better to train as if they wont be there?

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Are you breaking pine boards then?

Spacers make a heeooge difference, they make it much easier.

You need to learn how to check the grain and line the boards up appropriately. I'll see if I can scan something and post/FB it to you.

Front elbow is the other one to consider, it's a powerful breaking technique.

Mitch

7. Bigmikey

Hadnt even considered elbows but I imagine they would be. Also a fair better chance that I WONT break my elbow than my hand, lol.

If you can find anything that will help I'd be tremendously appreciative, Mitch. I'll even be your best friend! :D

8. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

Make sure you find well seasoned pine boards, I had to break some that were pretty green once, man that was rough.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

My thinking is you could do a couple of breezeblocks with downward elbow no trouble.
    Man your size just falling on them and they'll probably break. :)

10. Bigmikey

LOL, yeah, but its no where NEAR as pretty :D I'm out for style points man! Though I must admit it does bring out a certain "Hulk SMASH" mentality in me, lol.

11. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

If you are after style points then try speed breaking. Hold the board up. Let go and put your fist through it before it hits the floor.

12. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

How come you're doing a demo of this if it's not something you've done before and not something that's part of your schools regular practice?

13. Bigmikey

Because they wont let me do my normal stuff due to my knee. Its just a way for me to be involved in the tourney and have a bit of fun.

14. warriorofanart

warriorofanart Valued Member

That sounds fun! If it's going to be filmed you should post it here. :D

15. Bigmikey

Well, I can certainly film it since you expressed interest. The tourney is in September (the 9th I believe) so I will try to get a video up shortly after that.

Like I said, its just for fun. I want to be involved with the tourney because its the one chance I have to see other HKD practitioners in my own back yard, plus I help set the thing up every year so I might as well get to do something.

I am still going to try to weasel my way into doing some flying nakbup. Maybe scale back to a 6 person pyramid. But the kicking is what they wont let me do so I'm not sure how to get around that...

16. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Hey Mike maybe a palm strike on a stack of boards that is much safer than Punching.

17. Bigmikey

Thats a thought as well! Palm strikes are always kinda 'old school kung-fu-y" to me which is a very cool thing. I can try a few hand techniques and see which feels more comfortable to me.

Thanks Obe (may I call you obe?)

18. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Yes of course, call me anything you want as long as you don't call me "late for dinner"...cause that's some one else's screen name. LOL

19. Bigmikey

LOL! Why yes it IS, isnt it? :D

20. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Mikey, about the boards, I get mine from choi brothers in Chicago they use a special wood that is perfect for demonstrations. They are safe and ready to break right out of the box. They cost about the same as the local hardware and you don't have to loose a finger cutting them to length.