Posting clips on you tube

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by martin watts, Apr 19, 2008.

1. martin watts

martin watts Martin Watts

This is a continuation of the following exchange - as I dont want to hijack someone elses youtube clip with a discussion about something else.

spaced5014 (14 hours ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam Sorry, as a traditional and quite rare style, I dont see why placing yourself on youtube doing your patterns, thus allowing anyone without any martial arts knowledge or experience to blatantly copy them and bastardise them, is a positive thing.

martinpaulwatts (1 hour ago) Show Hide 0 Marked as spam Reply | Spam Hi spaced - am quite happy to get into discussion with you on this if you let me know who you are, who your teacher is and if your teacher is happy for me to engage in the discussion - but feel you tube is not the place. I suggest martialartsplanet is a more apt discussion place.
    Best Wishes, Martin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have for a long time posted clips on my web site www.fujianbaihe.com and encouraged people to do the same long before you tube came along. This is with my teachers collaberation. I encourage people to have a go at our forms if they are interested. I think it is nice, and a good way to share stuff. Our art ( Yong Chun Bai He Chuen ) is something which is to be shared. That is actually part of the beliefs of the system.

Regarding clip posting, if you dont think good stuff is worth posting then I suppose you will spend a lot of time contacting people a lot better and better known than me to deter them from posting their clips.

I suspect the main driving force nowadays for not showing stuff ( if you are in a secret school ) is financial.

I love it when I see people having a go at our stuff. and the results are sometimes suprisingly good!

Regarding what is traditional or not, I would need to know who you are before discussing that here! - and suggest you clear it with your teacher before getting involved but would love to!. ( suggest you read my web site first in case I have writting something already about your school or know your teacher. ).

Martin

2. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Hi, Martin:

I started publishing clips on YAHOO Video a few months back in order to provide some counterpoint to all of the "advertising" that is become so prevalent on the INTERNET. In contrast, the clips that I publish are the material we do in the class. Its sound, basic material and I don't really care if people try to copy it or not. What I care about is that if someone wants to copy something they at least copy something with some authenticity to it rather than just something that a guy made up so he would have material upon which to base his own art, with him firmly seated at the top.

Gueps in the Korea Martial arts are notorious cheapskates. They don't mind spending $40 bucks to fill the car with gas, or spend a couple of hundred for tickets to a sports event or a concert. But ask them to make a commitment to learn an authentic practice and watch how fast they shove their wallet deeper into their pocket! So I offer them a chance to see what real material looks like so that they can tell the difference between the "eye candy" of a demonstration, and the regular training that learning the art is about. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce