Post 1K: HEDONISM

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guerilla Fists, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I didn't realize I passed the 1,000 mark some time ago. In celebration I am sharing with you the (extremely) rough draft based on a new brainstorm of an article I'm writing on Hedonism.

Disclaimer: The author may or may not aspire to this philosophy, that is not the point. This is merely an examination of the philosophical concept and it's implementation in today's world.

"Hedonism"

Endless orgies of decadent taste and high class luxuries project the hedon into the ecstactic moods of the legendary Dionysian parties. But is this really a hedon? Or is it the connotation we attatch to the word and assume that one who calls oneself a hedon is merely an indulgant person lacking self control.

A Hedon is defined as one who aspires to hedonism - the basis of happiness in life is pursuing all that is pleasurable and good. It is my intention to explain that the pleasure aspect of hedonism is often fixated and judged when the issue presents itself. Those who assume hedonism is merely indulgence neglect to understand where "good" comes into the picture.

In context "good" refers to what is healthy and productive for the individual. So conterintuitive to the common stigma that hedonism lacks self control when we add this facet we realize there must consequently be boundaries. Using common sense and responsibility a hedon can filter those actions that are pleasurable and good, and not just excessive acts of decadence.

Ok, so now we have a context but now we need a reason, why hedonism? If an aspirant can balance the tenets of pleasure and goodness than that person has the potential to release themself from guilt resulting from social stigmas. Once we fear not what society judges as appropriate we open doors to new and exciting enthusiasm for life. Consider the Puritans who were not allowed to dance, play cards, listen to music, or even read non-religous literature. The forbidden activities greatly limited not only their options of entertainment but shut off their opportunity to new ideas. Today this applies to much of the members in my family who are Catholics and feel guilt from many stigmatized acts defined as such hundreds of years ago.

"The nail that sticks out gets hammered back in." Besides stigma there are also other external opponents. The law, for example, inhibits those hedons who use recreational drugs like marijuana (reminder of disclaimer). Meanwhile it taxes to a great degree cigarrettes and alcohol which are known to cause numerous deaths a year. Besides the law there is also the opinion of those with whom a hedon shares close relationships with. Because of closedmindedness or judgementalism the hedon risks being ostracized in an extreme case if his or her activities are so disgusting to his or her friends or family. Consider Jehovah's Witnesses. I have an aunt in Arizona who's mother won't talk to her because she divorced her husband and that was a decision that brought pleasure and goodness into her life.

Internally hedonism can be dangerous if the "good" is not observed. With the previous example an enthusiast of marijuana may not recognized the perceived pleasure is really a dependance. Denial and excess are two demons a hedon must be wary of. The risk is health, financial loss, addiction, and ignorance of responsibilities.

So if hedonism has potentially destructive outlets why bother? This is where I bring up "pleasure sources." If one could orient their satisfaction around a safe pleasure source that would greatly reduce many risks of allowing plesure to overide "good" in the lifestyle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said, rough draft. I plan to add a lot more. I'm looking for more apt examples, clarifying parts I feel that are vague, and just generally presenting it in an appealing format to be received.

But anyway, I welcome all healthy discussion concerning this issue.

2. claymore_torque

claymore_torque New Member

Hedonism unreal?

Main Entry: he·do·nism
    Pronunciation: 'hE-d&n-"i-z&m
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Greek hEdonE pleasure; akin to Greek hEdys sweet -- more at SWEET
    1 : the doctrine that pleasure or happiness is the sole or chief good in life
    2 : a way of life based on or suggesting the principles of hedonism

Thanks a lot Webster - pleasure OR happiness is the sole or chief good in life? So which is it - pleasure or happiness? Societal definitions of pleasure and happiness connotes a kind of black vs. white, or short-term vs. long term. Pleasure connotes rampant indulgence and lustful ignorance, while happiness sits above the fray content and satisfied. Whether one is seeking pleasure or happiness, I believe all of us are hedons according to Webster.

3. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Congrats Guerilla Fists! What a way to celebrate 1,000 - lecture us all on hedonism! Just kidding. Nice post.

4. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

SSSWWWWWsssswsssswwss,,,,,,,,,Um,,,,,,like..............yeah.............Cauhhhhhggggg.......ahkkaaakgggha..... What he said..................

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Nice read Guerilla Fists.

I'll have to copy and email to my boss who I found this morning took off for Hedonism III for vacation. :D ;)

ah yes, if it feels good do it :rolleyes:

6. Guerilla Fists

Thanks,
    Like I say I plan to flesh this out a lot. This is really more of a freewrite draft so all criticism is welcome.
    I find the philosophy fascinating because unlike Buddhism (which teaches eliminating desire) this thought of hedonism encourages pursuing pleasure that is good. I'm wondering if in playing devil's advocate and exploring this philosophy I can find a common ground or catch on to something I hadn't realized before.

7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

nah, hedonism ROCKS. Abstinence is no way to self-improvement.

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

:cool:
    Very good! It's wonderful to see young people grappling with issues beyond, "What will I watch now that Friends is over?". Critical thinking, analyzing, that's the first step in arresting the dumbing-down of our society.

Sorry, "Friends" fans it was just the first pop icon that came to mind. ;) A little mindless entertainment is good too, all work and no play... :D

If you haven't read Ayn Rand's "The Virtue of Selfishness" it might inspire some new thoughts on the many guises of hedonism. Perhaps in context hedonism could be interpreted as rational self-interest.

9. Guerilla Fists

got a link for me?

10. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Here are a couple:
    http://www.aynrand.org/
    http://www.ayn-rand.com/

She published quite a few books both fiction and non-fiction. Her non-fictional works deal with her philosophy (Objectivism) in a straight forward way. Her novels like: Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead illustrate the philosophy through the actions of the characters. To sum it up:
    Non-fiction: The philosophy in a nutshell. e.g. The Virtue of Selfishness
    Fiction: An allegorical representation of the philosophy (or just a story depending on your motivation). e.g. Altlas Shrugged.

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

12. Guerilla Fists

Thanks bcullen and Scarlet Mist!

13. chapskins

chapskins New Member

You sure you don't mean self inflation of self??? if you look really deeply the idea of Hedonism would be like a dog chasing it's tail endlessly, if you had all the things in the world, enjoyed all that life had to offer you you would still find another thing to grasp for.... then another thing and another.

You see, what goes up must come down, simple veiw of yin-yang, you could be happy for some length of time but in the end their will be sadness then again happyness then sadness, suppose it's very easy to get caught up in.

It's proberly not a good thing to mention abstanance in this context as it would never sit with the veiw of that of a Hedonist, it's the sum opposite, for those that find being with a partner, spending all their time with another very difficult and can disrupt their practice, i talk not of myself but of others i know personaly, dont knock it, it's a personal thing ehh?

Under heaven all can see the beauty only because their is ugliness, all can know good as good because their is evil.

Theirfore having and not having arise together.
    Dificult and easy complement each other.
    Long and short contrast each other.
    High and low rest upon each other;
    Front and back follow one another.

Theirfore the sage goes about doing nothing, teaching no talking.
    The ten thousand things rise and fall without cease,
    Creating, yet not possessing,
    Working yet not taking credit.
    Work is done then forgotten.
    Theirfore it lasts forever.

The words of Lao Tzu

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  14. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Any article about hedonism should have some info about Epicurius. He invented the principle!

Also, there's a fine line where your own happiness conflicts with others' right to be happy. Of course, a gang of 15 thugs are probably having a very pleasurable time bashing a passer-by, and a bank robber is planning his hedonism (with the extra cash) while holding up the bank. How about heroin, where you're having a pleasurable time and not hurting anyone, but you're killing yourself?