Poor man's alternative...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ghost Frog, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

I've often laughed at friends for using 'alternative' weapons for practising kata with, i.e. Broom handles, umbrellas, bananas , etc.

Has anyone else got amusing examples of 'making do' without the real thing?

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Air bo, various other things I can find.

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've used combs, brushes, pens, pencils, spoons, cell phone, etc. to practice knife work. Bascially, when I pick up anything, I start moving it like a weapon.

But I don't think of it as a "poor man's alternative." I think of it as training to think of and use everything as a potential weapon.

Mike

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

There you go Pesilat, my son is always picking stuff up and saying, "now how could we use this????".

5. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Re: Re: Poor man's alternative...

Good point. Didn't all the Okinawan weapons start off as farm implements- rice flails, etc?

Maybe people will be doing kata with tin-openers and x-box handsets in 200 years time!

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Re: Re: Re: Poor man's alternative...

Exactly. Tin openers can be particularly nasty and the handsets can be used as flexible weapons or impact weapons - always nice to have options :)

Mike

7. khafra

khafra New Member

Y'know, I do tend to do modified balisong openings with my can opener, and try to switch fluidly between fencer grip and reverse grip all the time, when holding a spoon. I hadn't thought about it like that 'til I read this, though.

8. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I made some escrima sticks out of hockey sticks for fun and they work well.

9. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

That's a good idea. I really like the wood that hockey sticks are made from.

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

These things aren't "Poor man's alternatives" - they are the REAL weapons.

What's the likelyhood of you having a nice set of Eskrima sticks, a bokken, a pair of Sai with you when attacked outside the Pub?

(Not likely I hope LOL!)

11. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

In class a few months ago, we were all going through a pole form. I had brought four poles with me (one a broomstick handle) and I leant them out to others so they could get into the form.

I was going to practice with an imaginary one but noticed a vacuum cleaner in the corner. I used the straight metal tube as a pole. It kept coming apart in the middle and the sucking end wouldn't come off at all. Made everyone laugh while I trained seriously :)

Rgds,
    David

12. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

ive actually seen a small piece on can openers as a weapon. I mnot sure if it was serious or a joke.
    Ill try to hun tit down if any one wants to see it.

Beware my air hammer

13. khafra

khafra New Member

Haha! The air hammer, now that's no poor man's weapon--that classes right up there with the grappling hook and BFG, really.

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'm sure it's only a matter of time beofre 1ONEfighting shows up with his pliers {{{Shudder}}} :eek:

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

ive used drumsticks in place of my broadswords.

16. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

My wife's peanut butter spreader (yes, there really is such a thing) makes great slicing noises when I practice silat knife techniques with it. It scares her.

17. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

how about using frozen fruit tubes [aka ice lollies in a plastic tube for those who dont have them] as bo or sticks!

my 10yo son dreamt this one up and is a dab hand at doing single & double sinawali and redondo with fruit tubes... LOL! you should see it!

AND he does his bo kata with them too....

usually I use whatever is at hand and have been known to do air bo and ruler bo and pencil bo...

I have done redondo using nunchakus too... quite a lethal move!

18. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I think a hockey stick would make a pretty mean weapon. It already is one pretty much.

Plus they're normally pretty tough, my old one was some aluminium alloy and my current one is wood/carbon fibre.

19. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

i use legos :D

20. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

dont they fall apart ?
    or do u use single blocks??

:D