PLZ HELP GUYS! Beginner martial artist

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by TAR_007, Apr 11, 2021.

1. TAR_007

TAR_007 New Member

Hi everyone!
    I don't know many martial artists, so that's why I'm reaching out to you guys on here. Anyways, I've been doing Wing Chun for the past 2 years and am doing an important psychology research project looking at the relationship between different types of martial arts and self-esteem. I need to get responses quickly so I would really appreciate it if you could do my questionnaire - it's just 10 questions and will only take 1-2 minutes max of your time!!

I've attached the link down below (for research purposes there are questions asking about your age, ethnicity, gender, what martial arts you train in & how long you have been training in it). Your responses will also be 100% confidential (that's why I'm not asking for your name).

IMPORTANT:
    Please complete the questionnaire ONLY if you MEET the following criteria:

- You do not have any mental health condition/s (e.g. anxiety disorders, eating disorders, depression, substance abuse, ADHD, personality disorders, bipolar disorder etc. etc.).

- You are aged between 18-35 years old.

- You have been training in martial arts for at least 1 year or more.

NOTE - By filling in this questionnaire you consent to me using your responses to include in my study for scientific purposes.

Thank you so much & let me know if you have any questions!

LINK ----------> Relationship between self-esteem & martial arts

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Greetings Tar_007.

Can you explain with more specifics what this information is going to be used for? Specificially, what is this important research project? Who is behind it and for what scientific purpose? Why the very limited age specifications?

Thanks!

3. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hi

happy to help if you tell me a little more. What is the project for? e.g. is it for a commercial organisation/ club or is it a college / university project. How will the data be treated? what will the results be used for?

happy to help - just need more info

cheers

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

sorry I just read your whole post. sorry I am too old to help myself. However would be happy to put the word out to others - if you give some more information about the survey.

cheers

5. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

You have my answers :)

6. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Having just read the questions on the survey - i would like you to post the ethics section of your report stating what organisation - education authority, or club business scrutinised the ethics of your research.

If you havent written it up neatly yet just post what was sumbitted to the ethics review panel

Thanks

7. TAR_007

TAR_007 New Member

Hi,
    Thank you everyone who's done it so far! I'm currently doing an online research internship in sports psychology, so I am collecting this data for an experimental study that I have to do. I am researching whether martial artists have higher self-esteem than non-martial artists. Also, only me and my supervisor will see the data and when I get all of my participants' responses and can analyse them, the data will be destroyed.

Lastly, the reason why I put in the criteria of mental health conditions, age limit etc. is because those factors can affect self-esteem and I am controlling for those variables.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

8. TAR_007

TAR_007 New Member

I just updated the questionnaire to include more information at the beginning like confidentiality, consent etc. So please click on this link if you do it
    Self-esteem in martial artists

Thanks!

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

:) Cool - I did a little research on the questions and on ethics generally. The questions are a recognised way of measuring self esteem widely used in psychological studies. Confidentiality is promised and no information that could be used to identify the participant is gathered.

I would be happy to fill in the questionnaire if I wasn't for the fact that I am Too old !

10. TAR_007

TAR_007 New Member

A
    Haha thanks anyway Tom

11. TAR_007

TAR_007 New Member

Thank you!