Plants for a future

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by finite monkey, May 6, 2012.

1. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

One of my hobbies is collecting and growing seeds. Not just any seeds though but seeds from plants that have pracical uses

Primarily these are food plants but I also have fibre producers, soil enrichers, wild life attracters and medicinal plants

The plant I am most proud of is my small collection of Sugar Pine (pinus lambertiana) native to the mountains of the Pacific coast of North America, from Oregon through California to Baja California. They produces large, nutricious pine nuts (as well as the largest cone found on any tree) and also a sweet resin with culinary and medicinal value. Mine are small yet, but I have high hopes for the little fellas

MAP has people all over the world , and so I would be very interested to hear what usefull plants grow in your back yard, and what they are used for traditionally and any other interesting info. Remember, even though they may seem common place to you, others may not have heard of them, so dont be shy

2. embra

embra Valued Member

Can't offer any real info bar a few friends growing indoor seeds in window pots ( we are all city kiddos), but it sounds like a great hobby :cool:

3. WatchfulAbyss

WatchfulAbyss Active Member

I grow:

Tomatoes
    Hylocereus undatus – Fruit bearing.
    Aloe vera – I’ve had this applied to burns; it cools/sooths minor burns, but I’ve never experienced any benefits regarding healing.
    Indian Fig Opuntia – Fruit bearing.

I also grow Echinopsis lageniformis, no practical value but it has a history of being used in shamanic traditions. I plan on using them as a fence once I move to better hardy zone next year.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  4. finite monkey

Its amazing what can be grown on window cills, but I've also seen great gardens on top of high rise buildings with flat roofs. Often the soil etc is bought up bucket by bucket (great way to work on endurance ;]). I love the idea of only seeing green when viewing a city from above.
    Urban bee keeping is becoming popular too, but is a little frowned upon by the authorities

I'm guessing you live in a desrt region. Cacti would not like it here in Ireland

5. WatchfulAbyss

Actually, I live in Ohio so I’m currently stuck with letting them go dormant indoors for the cold months.

6. finite monkey

Can you get fruit from container grown specimens?

I suppose watering is not a big job ;]

7. WatchfulAbyss

Yes, but you may have to pollinate the hylocereus undatus specimens by hand in order to see fruit. (I think the optunia is self fertile. Mine is still relatively small, and not at that stage yet.)

Over watering can/could be a problem, so it’s just a matter of patience.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i grow a habanero in a jam jar and a jalapeno in a old protein shaker on my window sill

9. finite monkey

Cool...well not coot ..hot
    Supposedly chillies are the most efficient food to grow (vitimin wise) on a window cill, so well done for being efficient

This season my plants of note are Jujuba (zizyphus jujuba), Moso bamboo (phylostachys pubesans) and Ginko (ginko biloba)

10. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

I love doing that too! So does my dad. My mom too actually. We're all plant lovers. :) He likes finding and growing cute little baby trees and I do too, I also like to grow plants called Dianthus barbatus, or Sweet William. One look at these pretty little beings and smell them and you see why we all love the little plant.

I have a little cute little baby maple tree thats just one year old I grew from a samara that came off its parent the only adult maple we have. I'm growing him in a big black flower pot.

There's a lot of our flowers on my facebook album for those of you who are my fb friends and can see it. :)

11. finite monkey

Knot a weed?

Japanese Knot Weed

Invasive exotic or unlimited resource?

I use it (once dried) as a compost/bedding material and fresh as rabbit food

It is so easy to grow that the person who finds a comertial use for this super plant will be minted

Any other good uses for it?

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I mostly grow plants that look nice, just to have a pleasant little garden. But along one border I've got a small herb garden, which keeps me supplied with herbs for the kitchen. (Parsley, chives, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, mint, fennel and sage. Edit: and a bay. How could I forget my little bay tree!)

haven't really got the room to grow much fruit and veg, but I did grow rocket and lettuce in pots last summer, plus some cabbages grown from seeds which a neighbour gave me. You can't beat having really fresh stuff like that.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Interesting thread. When I've got more space and time I'd like to grow some fun stuff.

Also, I'd just like to say how impressed I am that no-one has made the obvious 'medicinal plant' joke yet!

14. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I live half an hour from a hippy commune, I need not say more.

15. Blade96

I bought my mom a plant book in it the author said she knows there's not much more satisfaction in the world in nurturing and growing a little seed. My dad thinks that way too. It helps me understand better too why some people get such joy out of being parents. (cause i'm not a baby person and cant think of babies that way dont see enjoyment in them yes I have to relate it to something I love, like a tree or a kitten. Weird, I know but I'm weird. Just have to deal with me.) :)

16. finite monkey

The mad part of the whole canabis debate is the hemp plant is perhaps one of the most usefull plants we have

Quite aside from its narcotic properties, it yields high quality fibre, oil, and its seeds can be eaten as well as having a bulk laxitive affect

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Currently growing a Curry plant and some Pak Choy (I think that's what it is, I'd have to ask the other half).

18. finite monkey

For all of you in hotter climes

The Tree of Life

Or those with a giant green house

19. Blade96

mylittle baby maple in the black pot died :( he got attacked by something.

rip little thing.