Pimp My Ride: I think I am going to cry

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by watto86, Nov 11, 2005.

?

Do you like the show "Pimp My Ride"?

1. Yes

61.8%
  2. No

38.2%
  1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

I know that nearly all of you have been privvy to the wonder that is Pimp My Ride. But for someone who lives in a stone age country with not that much money. Having a show like Pimp My Ride come to free-to-air TV, is a god send. I just can't believe what I'm seeing.
    Its obvious that I love this show. But what do the rest of you think? Do you like it to? Or do you just think that its a big w*nk?

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Haven't seen the show. But I grew up in the land of Pimp My Rides. LOL!
    There were always car shows when I was kid in Logan Heights - CA. One of the roughest areas in California bar none. One of the first areas to have highschools that had metal detectors, barbed wire and armed guards. :eek:

Guys had their car so tricked out it was silly. It's American pop culture at it's best... the caucasian crowd has hot rods or street rods, the latino crowd has the lowriders, the african american crowd has lowriders but with a slightly different style than the latinos. Some of the biggest and baddest car shows were held at Chicano park.

Most guys growing up that had the super kool rides didn't ever bother too much with the gang stuff. They were too busy working on their cars. Welding, grinding, polishing planning. It' insane the amount of work that goes into them. Many of these guys spent every possible moment in the garage. When they weren't they worked regular jobs.

These somewhat carry on the tradition that was started by guys like Ed 'Big Daddy' Roth of RatFink fame and Von Dutch of the Winged Eyball fame. Both guys who knew how to handle a pinstriping brush. There are a ton of others.

I did check out a show the other day on who could build the cooler custom motorcycle. The show's style was lame as.... but the bikes and the builders knew what was up. Killer rides on two wheels.

At the moment it's Hollywood cashing in on it. But long before Hollywood sat up and took notice and tried to make a buck off of it... guys were customizing cars and motorcycles for decades. The cars and the style may change here and there - but the focus is the same... guys expressing themselves and building sweet rides.:D

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I haven't seen the programme, but I understand that for the UK version they did it on a budget, and give the contestants about forty quid worth of Halfords vouchers to stick go-faster stripes on their old Ford Fiestas. :D

4. slipthejab

ouch. :cry:

5. watto86

Sounds pretty sweet. So far as motorcycles are concerned. Australia has some of the most beautiful motorcylces out there. Maybe even on par with the states. Its hard to explain, but if you've ever seen an Australian Harley Davidson-type magazine, you'd know what I mean. The "bikey" culture over here is sick!

6. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

I catch it on MTV occaisonally and I love it! :D It's not something I'd ever even remotely consider doing myself, but it's great fun to see what can be done.

7. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

Its okay - Not in the same league as the the worlds greatest tv show

AMERICAN CHOPPER!!

8. watto86

True. But at the same time. I don't even own a license and still wanna buy a car to pimp out. lol

9. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I just love the show. It never ceases to amaze me what they do with those cars. Anyone see the episode with the Daihatsu van ??? Damn, they really turned that ugly little van into a stunner.

10. Pyro

Pyro New Member

I'd rather spend my cash on something useful. Frankly a pimped car these days is just asking to be jacked or keyed or some similar terrible thing thanks to the local punks which seem to infest the world these days. Waste of money IMO, when you can choose between a car or a house you are looking to spend way too much on a car.

11. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

the thing that i love about pimp my ride when compared to a lot of the other similar shows is that all of the people who get their cars done are just regular working class people. unlike some of the other hot-rod shows like that chip foose one where they rebuild almost exclusively rich and famous people's cars.

i would much rather see some working class kid with an old beat up van get their car all done up that some rich spoiled movie or sports star.

as for american chopper.. lets just say that the bikes they make do not appeal to my taste.. =)

12. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

The UK version just doesn't work like the USA version. We just don't pull off the whole bling thing :D And Tim Westwood is far too cheesey!

13. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

I agree. The US version I like, the UK version makes me cringe. The mechanics are all right but Westwood is terrible. He's like a real Ali G.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

hehe yeah! Makes me laugh, with a serious look on his face he said; "Hitting it with the mad crazy flavour" You mean painting it Timothy! :D

15. jonmonk

jonmonk New Member

Lol! As I read that, I heard it in his voice. nooooo!

I wonder if he talks to his grandmother like that.

16. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

i have gotta find a video so our american friends can see that idiot tim westwood presenting pimp my ride UK, also is it me or have they only done about 5 cars and they just show it on the repeat (the english version)

like the american version

hate the english version

17. slipthejab

LOL!:D

Without even seeing the show I can see why this doesn't exactly work!
    BHWHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks bro I needed that laugh. Ahhh... feel better about the world already. :D

18. Martial Alex

[​IMG]

tim could of at least made an effort and put some of that on :D

19. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I've always wondered, do they do anything with the engines or the workings of the cars?

from what I have seen they stick in TV's custom wheels and paint jobs but leave everything else alone.

so your amazing car will break down every other week simply because its about 40 years old...

20. Martial Alex

in some cases they tune up the motor a bit but thats only in the really bad cases.