Personality types of martial artists

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Martin Meyer, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer New Member

Dear all, I am researching the personality types of martial artists using the well-known Big 5 model.
    If you want to know what type of personality you have, please visit the link and answer the questionnaire. An explanation of the personal data will automatically follow after you have completed the questionnaire. Naturally, the data will be collected anonymously.
    The questionnaire can be completed in English and German.

https://www.soscisurvey.de/bigfivemartialarts/

Thank you for your participation!

Grond likes this.
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Your survey is only for men, cutting out a significant portion of the martial artists out there. Rather sexist and exclusionary. Not to mention the results will be skewed when they exclude that large of a portion of practicing martial artists. Pretty lame in my opinion.

Also, what is the purpose of this survey? Tio sell a product? Scientific? Medical? Psychological? Please elaborate.

3. Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer New Member

What you call sexist and exclusionary is just common empirical practice. Researchers have to limit the number of independent factors of the test subjects. This is also why people under 18 years are excluded. Naturally, in a follow-up study, females will be included.
    Of course it is for scientific reasons, as a short google search of my name would have clarified.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't need to spend any energy googling. You are posting it here, it should be common politeness to explain the why of what you are posting here. You are asking some people to help you out with something, after all.

And your description says the "personality types of martial artists", not specifically male martial artists. What is the scientific reason for the exclusion of a significant part of the population?

Xue Sheng likes this.
  5. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I’ve taken your advise and carried out a short Google search , and I couldn’t find you.
    So , if you wouldn’t mind furnishing a little more info about what you’re looking to achieve we’d appreciate it.

6. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

First, a short google search of your name should not be required, you came to MAP, MAP did not go to you. And taking a somewhat arrogant attitude will not help your research or induce folks to take part.

Also a short google search only clarifies that Martim Meyer exists, it does not clarify who you are. Welcome to the wild and wonderful world of web anonymity

7. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Hi Guys. Google fu.

Dr. Meyer, Martin Joh. - Uni Vechta

Hes at the university of vechta in Germany as contributed to and number of journals
    https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin-Meyer

and approached us before on this thread:

https://www.martialartsplanet.com/t...define-martial-arts-and-combat-sports.132639/

Martin, I was one of the few that replied to you last time so I'm not adverse to sharing my opinion, but myself and other MAP members do have a vested interest in knowing why you are collecting data if we are going to help you, even if the data is collected anonymously. Data in academia can be used to push points of view/agendas that many would not want to be associated with. A little bit more transparency will engender more goodwill.

8. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Yep, I think it is good you are looking for people to do this kind of survey at a martial arts forum. But a little introduction of yourself or the purpose of the study would be helpful if you want people to answer it.

I'd fill in the survey (sunds like fun), but I am the wrong gender.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Random stranger on the internes asks me for personal data. Why wouldn't I comply?

A little bio, intro and info would help the cause :)

I'd love to discuss your paper on conflict management and night time security staff :)

aaradia and Xue Sheng like this.
  10. Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer New Member

Ok, no problem. Maybe I got a bit heated up when someone calls my research approach exclusionary and sexist. I can assure you that this is not the case.

I am a martial arts researcher. This is my profile on researchgate (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin-Meyer), my university account (Dr. Meyer, Martin Joh. - Uni Vechta) [as you can see, technically I am working in teacher training] and the latest book (https://www.amazon.de/What-Martial-Arts-Six-Attribute-Terminology/dp/398073160X/) which you can download for free on the researchgate website. I decided to publish it open source because some of the data was collected open source, like in MAP. I am member of the German Martial Arts Studies Committee and regular lecturer on international scientific martial arts conferences as well (the British Martial Arts Studies network and the JORRESCAM network). My research deals with sociological, historical, psychological and pedagogical issues regarding martial arts.

To the research project: Collecting data anonymously is always preferred in scientific research because of legislative concerns and the (understandable) caution of test subjects to deliver personal data. I have studied motive structures of karateka and judoka (Why do People Train Martial Arts? Participation Motives of German and Japanese Karateka). In the course of this, I expected that there are correlations of personality types and specific martial arts or martial arts practice. I started the survey with adult males in Germany, because I tried to isolate the correlation martial art -> personality type. The Big 5 inventory has been tested much over the last years and one of the outcomes is that females do have different shares of personality types. Accordingly, gender would be an issue that changes the correlations. Naturally, why don't I include gender? The reason is that I would have to double the number of test subjects to get the empirical validity which I need. This is also the reason why I expanded the survey to MAP (resp. English-speaking people): I did not get enough German test subjects to do the statistical magic. But why start with males and not females? Here is the reason that in martial arts communities, there is often a huge share of male participants, especially in martial arts forums (this is my impression though).
    In the future, I will try to expand the survey to female participants if the male study part succeeds.

Mitch, Grond, Botta Dritta and 2 others like this.
  11. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Hi Thanks for clarifying.I have completed the survey. Hope you get enough english speakers Corpus.

12. Grond

Grond Valued Member

Hi Martin.

I'll fill this out in a moment, but I think you're getting a good sample of martial arts personalities already. Confrontational, but at least mostly civil around here (you should see some other forums like MMA and Kung Fu sites, it gets really awful sometimes).

On the male/female thing, it might be worth pointing out that men outnumber women about 5:1 last I checked. So while you're excluding a significant portion like Aaradia said, it'll probably have the most interesting variety. From what I know of these types of surveys, they are heavily gender specific? So I understand why mixing the two could be problematic.

Also, it'll be pretty easy for anyone with access to your data pool to correlate responses with public information (I'm the boxing+Tai chi guy in your survey).

That said, I'll throw out an anecdotal bone. The women I've met in MA tend to have wonderful personalities. The men are a mixed bag, ranging from beautiful masculine spirits, to raging sociopaths, so it's likely your first survey is going to be heavily biased. Which is ok, I think, as long as you point that out, and in fact it might be a strong supporting point for why you'd focus on males first. They do dominate the field, so to speak, in raw numbers and variability. But I also think there's more to be mined there than with overall gender.

My own unscientific opinion is that most females who enter martial arts do so to learn how to defend themselves, while men do it for a vast array of reasons a lot of which are tied to societal tropes like "getting tough".

Keep in mind as you read this, I've been binge watching Rocky and Creed movies in anticipation of the new Creed movie. I got into boxing for the same reason Rocky did, I was decent at it and wanted to prove I was worth a damn. Most people in my MA life have been wonderful people, but every single nut was a guy with issues (mother, father, abuse, tired, hungry, unloved).

Last edited: Feb 4, 2023
  13. Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer New Member

Thank you very much! It helps a lot!

14. Martin Meyer

Martin Meyer New Member

Dear Grond, the field of participation motives in Martial Arts is huge. Still there is plenty research to understand how many different motives there are and in which way personal factors like gender, nationality may influence the choice of a specific martial art.

I will be the only one with access to the data pool. As always in my reaearch, the data will not be published, sold or in any other way shared with others, even researchers like me.