Personal Space

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by ladyhawk, May 25, 2002.

1. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Oh yes,
    but consider this.
    Ancient saying: The true warrior wins without fighting.
    Modern Application: I step behind a chair he stumbles and falls over it in his anger, I quickly exit the room!

Out of contact manipulation IS the first stage of a self defense situation. Being aware of how your environment can work for you or against you is very important. I like analogies, but if i see a Green light and someone is running the Red light opposed to my traversing I have to decide whether to brake or gun it to avoid the collision.The decision to use the brake or the gas to escape is still based on my awareness of the out of contact range. By the way this is where a lot of the "siking" comes into play, DOH!

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'd agree that there's four ranges of combat.

Grappling: Closest, body on body contact.
    Close Striking: Medium, Punching, knees, elbows.
    Distance Striking: Long, Kicking, lunge punch, battons.
    Out of Reach: Out of range, projectiles.(Throw a chair/ashtray at 'im and run!!!)

Thanx

3. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Would the 4 ranges of combat make make up the distance of an individual's personal space?

4. fluffydoc

fluffydoc Carry On MAPper

I'd like to think that my personal space is smaller than the distance I can lob an ashtray!!

5. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

LadyHawk,

Depends on your idea of personal space, if the energy of the individual tells me that they are aggressive they could be ten feet from me and I will still be considering them in my personal space. My personal also has to with my energy and staying calm. But I do think I should further elaborate on the four ranges as i understand them.

Out of Contact: Obviously this is the stage where the distance places you out of reach of your attacker or opponent. But the environment needs to be recognized immediately and anything that can be used to your advantage, like loose gravel, a car door, a table or chair needs to be used.

Within Contact: Obviously iss the point where you can reach your opponent and he can reach you but it is the point where the attacker can be reached with say a poke to the eyes, it is your most extended reach and you cannot yet penetrate the targets with a major action. you are limited to minor action.

Contact Penetration: Is the point where you can now punch or kick the attacker and effectively penetrate into your targets on the attacker.

Contact Manipulation: This is the range where you can now execute wrist locks, arm bars, takedowns etc and manipulate the attacker.

So again I apologize for the long winded answer, and for me all four ranges are considered to be my personal space.

6. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

FreeForm,
    I guess you could identify with
    "put them IN the ground, not ON it."
    But just to clarify, I did not mean to kill them if anyone is thinking about this! I meant to say the harder the better!
    Freeform you are such a bruiser!
    Thomas

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

The thought never crossed my mind.......