Personal MA Videos

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by MarioBro, Sep 29, 2004.

1. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I know this has likely been brought up and responded to before, but I think it would be great to have a sticky topic or even a forum topic where users can post links to their personal MA videos. I know I could learn alot by seeing others techniques and styles.

My wife finally came with me to the Dojo for my blue belt/red stripe test (this is the first time she has seen me do TKD) and I had her record my test so that I could see what I was doing and really analyze it. It was a terrific learning aid in that I realized my patterns and 1 and 3 steps were too slow, and lacked the punch I should have in them for example. I think they are a great learning tool.

What do you guys think about that idea, or is there really not alot of users who record themselves, or want others to see it?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  2. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I think it would be interesting, although probably take up a lot of bandwidth - I'm sure there are lots of us who have filmed ourselves doing various MA type activities; I've certainly got films of myself leaping around the garden. :p

3. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

Videoing yourself so that you can analyse your performance later is a great way to improve your technique (just tell your partner first! :p).

I keep meaning to video my own forms to see what I can improve on, but ever get around to it. I saw footage of myself when I trained at this other place and I was shocked by what I was doing. I hadn't realised that I was that bad in certain aspects. Made a big improvement after seeing it though.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

5. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Stuart, Those are great. Man that little guy that you were sparring is QUICK!.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Cheers! :)

Marty. His brother Kevin is the other guy testing in the background. Both were really good. Wanna know the sickest part? He didn't even train in taekwondo. Arnis and aikido. Dude was a great example of natural talent with a good work ethic.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm a big believer in videotaping. I haven't done a lot of it. But I plan to do more in the future. It's constantly startling to me how different you look in your mind's eye compared with how you actually look to everyone else. Video gives you a very objective look. And that's a huge advantage.

Stuart

8. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

It can also boost your confidence - I remember thinking how crap I felt one training session, and it was videotaped by my partners girlfriend. We stopped and watched it afterwards, and then I thought, 'Oooh, I don't look too bad, even when Im gettng beaten!!'

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Absolutely. Although I usually fall into the "huh, it was cooler when I was imagining it" camp. :)

10. slideyfoot

Nice vids (those full headguard things look pretty uncomfortable - do they tend to affect your guard too, or does it simply hurt in a new and interesting way when someone smacks you in the face shield bit? :p).

Also, do you have to pay for the webspace you're hosting them on? Would be great to find a place to host vids that was free - I use on for photos, but don't yet know of a good one for vids.

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nah. The fact that I was an hour and a half into a two-hour test affected my guard somewhat though. :)

I actually broke my friend's nose through that face shield. So no, if you're smart, you still keep a good guard. (The shield itself pressed back on his nose when I punched it.) Those headgear were actually purchased with a mind to knife sparring, since it protects the eyes, teeth, etc. all in one go.

Yeah, I pay for it. Not a ton. But it's not free. It runs me about $8 (what... 5 quid?) a month.

Stuart

12. slideyfoot

A whole £5? So actual money? Bah - I need a site that caters to cheapskates... :p

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I know they have 'em. You might have to tolerate a lot of popups though. Or rather your viewing public will.

14. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

I just host my own FTP address on my PC. I guess that all depends on if you pay for bandwidth or not...I do not. There are alot of freeware ftp servers, or even the built in one in Windows XP Pro.

15. slideyfoot

They'd have to be amazingly easy to use to overcome my total lack of programming ability and general non-web-savvyness. ;)

16. Senga

Senga GenkiGirl

Nice vids. I specially liked the last 2.

Why don't you try Yahoo! instead. I think it's free since the last time i checked.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You just dug seeing me get punched in the head. You can be honest. :)

18. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

:eek: :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Yo, those videos were pimpin', man. Seriously ill stuff. What style was the kickboxing sparring? I wish we used those glass shield helmets at my school so I could smack cats in the grill. I also wish we did takedowns.
    :cool:

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Cheers man!

Well, I had a taekwondo background. And that test there was for Doce Pares eskrima. Same as you. So it was some odd hybrid of those two and whatever else I'd picked up along the way I suppose. :)

Long time ago, in any event.

Stuart

20. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

You mean you practice kicking that high for Doce Pares?