Personal frustration

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by JJJ845, Feb 15, 2012.

1. JJJ845

JJJ845 New Member

I've been training in Japanese jujitsu for about 13 years now , I am a very open minded martial artist . Im the type of person who doesn't tell others to much about my training . But something that has been making me a little frustrated lately is the amount of tough guys who take a month of bjj and want to "roll". Of my own frustration I end up getting rough with people . Does anyone else have this experience of bjj kids who don't know the difference between styles ? Don't get me wrong no hate on bjj , its a great sport and have plenty of friends that do it . Just interested in stories

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

what does this mean?

how do you get rough with them?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Well I used to roll in Ninjutsu, before I ever heard of BJJ, so I don't see the problem?

Isn't there Newaza in JJJ?

4. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm frustrated at the number of Japanese and Brazilian JJers in my judo club wearing white belts but quite clearly not beginners. :p

5. Very interesting to learn that the JJJ or BJJ crowd goes to Judo...

Osu!

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Many BJJ'ers cross train in Judo (both instructors and several others at my old BJJ club did or had done Judo too).
    Itz for da fro's innit.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Really, who would expect you to actually train honestly with them? Crazy people. Don't they know real jujutsuka only do kata?

8. Pretty In Pink

Truth, my Instructor is a Judo BB, and we have a Judoka who won a silver at a local BJJ tournament. :)

EDIT: Might have been a bronze...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  9. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

dont worry mate im leading the fight back by doing it the other way around in the BJJ clubs :p

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

its pretty common if the judo/bjj gym is in a a heavily populated metropolitan area.

11. Goshin Wow-za

Goshin Wow-za Valued Member

Well I think I understand what you're talking about. I've also experienced BJJ players coming into our dojo and assuming that because ground work and grappling isn't our primary focus, that they'll just steamroll us when we roll. But they find out pretty quick that we have some decent skills ourselves. :)

I've never really found it too frustrating though, except when I hear "that's an illegal move" or "that's an illegal takedown." But I just reply "not in here it isn't. Here there's no such thing." I find that after that, they break into two groups. The ones that really come to appreciate that about our club, and the ones that don't come back. And either way works for me. ;)

As far as losing your temper about it, why bother letting it get to you? If they come in with a chip on their shoulder, and you teach them a lesson, then what's to be frustrated about? And if they beat you, then take it as an opportunity to learn something... Evaluate what happend, and what can be learned. Talk to them. See if there's things from their repertoire you can add to your own. Exchange ideas. There's all kinds of things a jujitsuka can learn from bjj players, and vice-versa. I think that's why our club has such a wide variety of skills, because we never turn our noses up at someone else's art, but rather try to learn from them. Incorporate what works for us into our own game. Discard the rest. Closed-mindedness never made anyone a better martial artist.

And if he's just a jerk, then simply decline the invitation in the first place. "Wanna roll?" "Nope, I'm good thanks." Mat bullies will grow tired of not getting any takers and just stop showing up. You've been doing jujitsu for 13 years, what do you need to prove to some walk-in?

12. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Why does this frustrate you?

Why are they 'tough guys' for wanting to roll? Don't you do randori?

Spazzing out in a roll? sounds like "you rack disiprin".

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Depends on what you're calling JJJ.

With some of the older schools it may be in there depending on the ryu-ha but certainly not focused on in the way that BJJ does.

Reasons for this being things like wearing armour to having weapons to hand etc

14. Giovanni

what makes an illegal takedown? or an illegal move?

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Indeed.

We all have rules of one form of another in training.

16. Pretty In Pink

Heel hooks, small joint manipulation, fish hooking, neck cranks and wrapping your leg around your opponents (illegal in IBJJF rules).

EDIT: That isn't all the illegal things, but the major ones.

17. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Scissors and ankle locks, if you're talking about the beej. Some places ban entangling-leg takedowns and some armlocks/spinelocks too.

18. Goshin Wow-za

I've had complaints about small joint locks. Use of pressure points for control, sweeps and passing, and submissions. Pinches and gouges to sweep and/or escape subs. I had a young guy whine incessantly for two classes that I used an "illegal takedown" when I took him down with a flying leg scissor and rolled him up into a knee bar. Don't know about the competitive legality of that technique, but he sure seemed incensed about it.

19. Goshin Wow-za

And see above^ lol.

20. Giovanni

here's the ibjjf rules as an fyi...

http://www.ibjjf.org/docs/rulesibjjf1stedition.pdf