Pekiti Tirsia Instructors Banned from Teaching Karambit

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by MadMonk108, Nov 24, 2013.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

So, Pekiti Tirsia groups all over the world have received the following message. It's being posted to their web pages and Facebook groups.

Is Gaje's real concern that his students are using the karambit to commit robbery and murder? Couldn't any knife be used for the same purpose in a Kali practitioner's hands?

Or is this because Doug Marcaida has become known around the world for his karambit technique since he split from PTK? Is this Gaje's way of keeping his students from associating or cross-training with Marcaida?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Absolutely incredible - he has gone past politics and into full blown psychosis

3. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Any PTK people needing to get rid of karambit...I can assure you I will find a good home for them.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It doesn't really make sense to me?

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Why doesn't he just come right out and say Filipinos are the master race and only they can learn PTK. Might take him more seriously if he did. Idiot.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm pretty sure that none of the firearms he's frequently pictured with are Filipino either.

It's fine. I think, whatever GM Gaje's contributions have been in the past (and they're considerable, I'm sure), he's hoisting himself with his own petard here. The PTK folks are going to go along with it. The ex-PTK folks are going to continue using the kerambit. And the never-been-PTK folks are just going to scratch our heads in wonder.

None of which will stop the world from turning as usual.

7. embra

embra Valued Member

Boxers are banned from the use of fists, Karateka from kicking, Judokas from hip throws.

Madness and delusion.

8. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

so if you're going to use PTK for illegal or immoral purposes, at least respect the art enough to use the proper equipment. yeeaaaahhhhhh rrrriiiiiggghhhht.

either that and/or he wants to leave behind a firm/strong identity for PTK (by hindering it's growth and evolution)

I found the announcement on one school's FB pages but not on GTS' personal FB which is the go-to source for such amusements. Could it be that someone is taking these words out of context? i.e. that words spoken in a private conversation were regurgitated and made to sound like an official order?

in either case, the response is the same: do not like.

9. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I seen it highlighted up
    On My newsfeeds and it was from one of his personal pages. Stupid.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Ah. And so it continues. Sadly they lost Tuhon Jas (Jasper de Ocampo. Nov.9, 1972- Nov.11, 2013) this year as well.

11. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I figured it had been determined that this particular weapon inexorably led to the Dark Side- people just can't help themselves.

12. ryan4nayr

ryan4nayr New Member

Sorry for the off-topic comment... but most amusing to me that everybody I personally know who owns a karambit only use it as a fancy letter opener / box cutter. Evil indeed.

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nonsense.

I used mine to take up the old carpet downstairs. :D

Mind you, it was a real cheapy I got online. I wouldn't treat a genuine article like that.

14. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

Gaje supposedly kicked T.Waid out of Pekiti Tirsia last month but Tuhon Waid still has the same website and continues to promote his training events as PTK.

15. Hannibal

Is PTK a style or an organisation though?

My Sifu left PFS but we still offer training in Contemporary Jeet Kune Do because that is the style. If Tim was good enough to teach PTK as a style before then nothing has changed now beyond political affiliation

16. Mugen Zero

Mugen Zero Infinite zero

Is kerambit part of silat training as well? what will happen to the silat students then? Umm If i went off topic sorry. I'm kinda confused whether their banning the teachings of the use of kerambit or banning people from owning a kerambit.

17. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

that's a good point b/c there's not always consistency between the different PTK groups. But...the words of the official announcement --if i recall correctly-- said that Tuhon Waid could no longer claim to represent PTK or call his teachings PTK.

what does this have to do with karambits?
    well, if GTS won't follow through with one of his most prolific and visible students, then what is everyone afraid of? maybe introducing this ridiculous decree is GTS' way of trying to make everyone forget about the T.Waid business.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yes
    Nothing
    Doesn't matter

In that order

19. Janno

Janno Valued Member

Another glorious year for PTK. As if the previous track record of internal betrayals, ridiculous challenges, and lunatics posting on forums wasn't already enough - we've now ended the year with months of idle threats, a messy public ousting, and pointless and unenforceable decrees from the head of the system himself.

I used to view this system with a great deal of respect. Sure, the camo'd up 30-stone rednecks were a bit on the Walty side, but you come to expect a bit of that in every martial art. Recently though, i've found almost every post from their chief instructor to be utterly cringeworthy - useful only as a guide for how to destroy one's legacy, or build a convincing insanity plea.

20. Hannibal

*steals phrase "a bit Walty" and hides it for later usage*