Paying for church

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by tekkengod, Apr 28, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

My friend convince me to go to church the other day, so i said, why the hell not? had nothing else to do, i was curious. so i went, we got there and he said "you brought your money right?" and i said "no why do i need money, are we eating" he said "no, its $2 to get in. my jaw hit the floor, then i started laughing as hard as i could. would you pay? what do you guys think about this?

2. marcusknight

marcusknight Valued Member

i think they just take collection at a weird time, most churches take money during the service, this is optional but everyone does as it keeps teh church open.

3. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

That is quite bizarre -- I never heard of a church that had an admission fee. :eek: Many churches do take up a collection, but (at least in all the churches I've ever been to) you are in no way obligated to put anything in the plate (we're supposed to help support our churches, but nobody ever gets thrown out because they can't afford to put anything in the collection).

4. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

That's just crazy! What kind of church was it?

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

"Paying" usually means an "offering" to the church which is used for the work of the church.

A required "admittance amount"???

It is my understanding that you are not under any obligation to contribute to the needs of any Christian church. Rather, you may be compelled to give what you can in proportion to the blessings that have been received by you. :Angel:

6. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Tithing is one thing, but paying to get in? Go spend your money on a beer, lol. This church sounds suspicious....

7. Drunken Miss Ho

I'm not too hip on church protocol, but aren't first time visitors kind of exempt from collection? I thought collection was for regular church goers to aid in the upkeep of their church. I would think a visitor should be able to check the place out before they are expected to make an offering.

8. E.E.N.S.

E.E.N.S. New Member

I like to support my church - I give 10% gross (which is about $80.00 a week) - but it does seem very odd to have a "admission fee" required...they would probably do better to just ask for additional help if they needed it that badly. Ask and you shall recieve...

9. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

It's cool, as long as your consumer rights aren't affected eg get a refund if God fails to deliver the Home Cinema or World Peace you prayed for whilst there...

Rgds,
    David

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We all are supporting every single church in our towns, states, and country by making them tax exempt. If cities want to fix their budgets, they should make the churches pay taxes on just their property. While my taxes used to go through the roof every year (I no longer own a home), the church's just sit there.

11. glo_in_da_dark

glo_in_da_dark New Member

maybe your friend was joking about the "admission fee". i think he meant to ask if you had an offering.

12. Drunken Miss Ho

Whatever with Christianity. It's all about Hare Krishnas. They give you free food and books with cool pictures in order to get you to go to their temple :D . But they sure do talk a lot, and if you keep going for the free food but don't go to the temple, they start to stare at you funny.

13. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats what i thought, no i am dead serious, they had people at the door {obviously longstanding memebers or something} collecting money, it applied to everyone, me and the members, it wasn't an early collection, it was an admittance, he ended up paying for me and we got in and then later near the end the collection plate was passed around. i went for the sake of getting a feel of the atmosphere of church, maybe get me a little taste of being so close to the religious, i was just curious, I'm sure as hell not going back. it was a christian church. that is ridiculous, i'd have though something else would have been offered like food or drinks, but nothing.

14. Drunken Miss Ho

I don't like that at all, that's not what church is about. If food and drinks were served after I would have felt a little better about it.

15. AZeitung

AZeitung The power of Grayskull

I think the problem lies in the fact that you didn't go to a denomination that was actually sane.

But no, you don't usually get food or drink at church (although sometimes they will have some kind of breakfast or something going on afterwards, and it's usually free), unless you count the wafer and wine.

16. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Moved to Religion forum as it seems more suitable

17. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

He didn't even go to a Christian church.

Tekken dude, that wasn't a Christian church. That was a church faking at being Christian. Actual Christian churches do not charge an admission fee for a worship service.

(There could be an admission fee for a special concert or play, but you didn't say this was a concert or a play.)

18. Drunken Miss Ho

The church I go to does have a coffe hour after service, but it's Unitarian, so that doesn't really count when discussing Christian churches, plus there's no "admission fee", but I have a friend who went to a baptist church when she was younger, and they had a coffee hour following the service. I thought that was a fixture at some churches. In my mind food's the only possible way an "admission fee" could be justified.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  19. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

no, it was most definately a christian church, i saw "christian house of prayer" written on the outside of the building, they are like all the other religious groups, they wanted money, the christians you know may not be like that, but the ones there most definately were. I'm not paying for anything religious ever. let alone a cover charge. come on now, you know my name isn't tekkendude :rolleyes: you can use my full name, if it bugs you, then just Tekken, but "dude" you make me sound like a loser. :D

20. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

In my experience, even when there are coffee and doughnuts (or other food), only a voluntary donation is accepted. In my church, even when we have a pancake breakfast (which also includes eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc.), it's still just a voluntary donation.