Pathwalker Guild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Saturnine138, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

You are right it may not go down well. When you say you have a circle of physiotherapists what do you mean by "physiotherapists"? What exactly do they do?

The reason i ask is that there is a lot out there on sports science and well it is backed by well science. It makes me suspicious when other professionals say these things and I wanted to make sure they don't adjust people's auras, etc

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

No aura adjustment.

When I say Physiotherapist, I believe that term is understood in the UK. I am talking about either registered members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapists, or retired physios who were chartered whilst working in that capacity, either in the NHS, privately or both. Their expertise ranges from neurology/neuropathology to musculoskeletal to pulmonary-respiratory, from paediatric to sport to geriatric.

Their main issue is the simplification of the mechanics of muscles. Too much in sports science models is simplified to isolate certain systems or structures, leaving students unaware of the holistic nature of the body (and when I say "holistic" I am using it in the technical sense of the word, nothing to do with so-called "holistic medicine", complimentary medicine or alternative medicine).

This could well be students not understanding what they are taught, or even gym-goers picking up bits of incomplete second-hand information, but this has been my experience here in the UK.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

None of this makes any sense. So the founder started in the 70s but you claim it's pre-industrial?

The Bear.

4. David Harrison

Please re-read this if you are having problems understanding my point:

"The man who founded, and has taught since the 70s... turned what he had learnt into a form that could be taught in public classes, and in English."

Only he could tell you what training he received before he started the Marbo public classes.

5. David Harrison

Again, please re-read my posts if this is unclear. I have not claimed it has its origins in pre-industrial culture(s), I have said that I have seen a lot to indicate that it does in my opinion. I have stressed many times that I am not offering proof. I thought I had been quite honest and up-front about that.

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

it largely depends on the course. some sport science courses brief skim over physiology and focus on biomechanics.
    sadly my course is human physiology but for some reason has been termed "sport science" cos we do a limited module on nutrition.

7. David Harrison

Yes, unfortunately I have run into lots of misunderstanding of how muscles work, especially from people into weight-training. Often, because they are told an exercise trains specific muscles they believe that all other muscles are doing nothing at all.

I am not an expert, but I do check my own experience and body-awareness with expert opinion whenever I can.

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

So he has never told any of the senior people or is it forbidden for seniors to tell?

The Bear.

9. David Harrison

Well, the term "senior" does not work in quite the same way with us as it does with most other MAs. We are not a master-driven system.

But the bottom line is that I am not in a position to say. I have never met, nor spoken with, my instructor's teacher(s), if indeed they are still alive.

I know this will not satisfy your curiosity, but I can only comment on what I know for myself.

10. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

You have not met the founder or know whether they even exist?

The Bear.

11. David Harrison

I am taught by the man who founded the modern "Marbo" incarnation of the training in the 1970s.

I have never met his instructor(s), and so no, I cannot say whether or not they exist. But someone taught him and, as I have said, I firmly believe there is more than a lifetime's work in the system. Again, this is my just opinion, I do not expect to convince anyone.

12. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Is this the same Marbo that claims:

This system is celtic but based on Hashasin techniques absorbed before the celtic people's migrated to North Western Europe?

It also appears to have claimed the art is 2000 years old?

The Bear.

13. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

Thank you for clarifying that.

14. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I may have missed it but have you asked your instructor about his teacher specifically like his name, background, etc? If yes, what did he tell you?

Or are you saying that your instructor doesn't want to share that information with you?

I'm sorry I'm just confused.

15. David Harrison

I am loathe to use the term "Celtic", as that refers to a disparate group of different cultures throughout a large period of time. Although the mingling of those cultures is being revealed to have been far more extensive than thought in the past, thanks to better practice in archeology. It is known that arabic peoples settled as far away as China, so I don't think it out of the question that they might have had a look around Europe as well. But I'm not an historian, and I don't make those claims.

I don't see the term Celtic or Hashashin on any official literature. I think that mainly comes from people not involved in the training. In the past there were some modern druids who did the training for a bit, and at some of our get-togethers they have performed some rituals; for example I was hand-fasted a couple of times by them (though I am fully aware of Gerald Gardner and the history of modern paganism, and I would not describe myself as a pagan and have never been a member of any neo-pagan group). I guess this is where the "Celtic" thing came into question. To the best of my knowledge this has never been an official part of the organisation.

As for the age of it, I've already stated what I know. My provenance comes from the current head of the organisation, I can't speak for his. To be honest I am far more interested in the present and the future than the past, and the effectiveness of the training.

16. David Harrison

No problem, thanks for asking the question so I could clarify!

17. David Harrison

I've been told a bit, in confidence. Again, I am aware that this will not satisfy anyone's curiosity, but I'll repeat that the founder of "Marbo" adapted what he learnt to teach in public classes. Before that, there was no public anything as far as I know, so you will never get a history of the lineage. This will always lead people to doubt it, but as I've said before, it is the people who I train with that are my priority, not satisfying the curiosity of strangers. I do not mean that to be rude, but that is my stand on the matter.

18. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

I find this thread very interesting and David thank you for responding to member's questions.

I was looking at the official website and there are photos at the top of various pages of what appears to be students/members training like the following pages:

http://www.marboschool.co.uk/marbo school of martial arts and survival_011.htm
    http://www.marboschool.co.uk/marbo school of martial arts and survival_002.htm
    http://www.marboschool.co.uk/marbo school of martial arts and survival_012.htm
    http://www.marboschool.co.uk/marbo school of martial arts and survival_004.htm

I'm assuming these are actual students training. Is that correct?

I know they are just photos; however I believe I've seen similar stances (and techniques.. yes I can see a few) in many other martial arts.

Again I know they are only a couple photos but are these indicative of the physical side of some of the training. I'm assuming they are there to provide some information about your martial art to people and most likely garner interest from new members.

19. peterc8455

peterc8455 Valued Member

You are right its not going to satisfy our curiosity especially on a message board open to the public.

My question is do YOU know the history of the lineage and all the details about your teacher's teacher?

If no, why is this ok with you?

20. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yes but your art has nothing to do with them.

It used to be on the Pathwalker Guild some years ago when I first encountered the organisation. All vanished now.

Is your instructor Stuart McGregor?

The Bear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.