Part of taekwondo problem?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by S&CMAN, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I know. But that is the ENTIRE point, premise and foundationof the new testament. And they disagree with it UTTERLY. It's not just a small detail but a deep (and deadly) theological difference.
    Sure Muslims will agree that it's better to treat others as you would like to be treated (something not unique to any one religion) but they disagree with THE most important message of the bible.

2. chrispillertkd

chrispillertkd Valued Member

I might like lots of things that Gen. Choi didn't like. But if I like them enough to actually change what I'm doing then I'm not really doing his style anymore. From a Chang Hun point of view, a I dan is a black belt who has trained enough to usually be able to handle one opponent. If you want to make it something more you can, but if you make enough changes you aren't doing Chang Hun TKD any longer. Which is completely fine, btw, I'm just making a point.

But there is no "right or line with MA's as a whole." Especially when it comes to ranking students. That's the whole point. You're really saying, "I don't like that." Which is fine.

Sure they can have different opinions than he did. But if you're going to change his system then you're not doing his style any more and shouldn't call it Chang Hun TKD. That's my only point.

Personally, I have no problem with WTF'ers calling themselves "Master" at 4th dan. I've had many opportunities over the years to explain to other people that in Gen. Choi's system you're not a Master until you've learned the whole thing. It's a good opportunity to educate people.

(Frankly, I don't know why more WTF'ers don't call themselves "Master" at first dan. That's the standard their organzations have set for people speaking English. But then, I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes down to it.)

Pax,

Chris

3. chrispillertkd

I don't think you understand the nature of the Natural Law, because that's not really the implication at all :)

Pax,

Chris

4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

So you saying when the ODK and CDK merged or joined or whatever, there were already BB kids within the CDK? If so.. why arnt there any photos of that era to show this or have I just not seen them?

Stuart

5. StuartA

I do.. because I care how TKD looks and is in relation to other martial arts in the martial arts world! But maybe thats just my hand up! :eek:

Stuart

6. StuartA

Perhaps he should of added a colour for teen!
    What colour would represent.. not quite a child, but not quite an adult!

Stuart

7. StuartA

I do.. I dont think the dad did!

8. StuartA

I dont think feeling or holding the rank of full BB to a higher standard or a higher age is changing the system at all... its simply what it is - feeling the BB represents more than the text describes... it doesnt change what is done to earn it.. just that all those parts are held to higher standards too!

If that is the case... all those ITF clubs that have under 13's not wearing Jnr BB's arnt doing Ch'ang Hon/ITF either.. and thats about 99% of them from what Ive seen!

Stuart

9. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I like Blue!

Yea one of my old clubs, as I think I mentioned before, the Inst put his kids on fast track and gave them full bb's before 13 im tempted to say before 10.

Raz

10. chrispillertkd

Then we disagree. And you disagree with Gen. Choi about his system, which is completely fine. People are free to do so. They should just be up front that they don't follow all of Gen. Choi's style.

That's right. They're like KKW folks who don't use poom belts.

Pax,

Chris

11. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

TLDR: Different systems have different ranks, yet each uses Black belt as the rank to achieve. Surely you can't equate a TKD black belt to one in Kuk Sool, Judo, BJJ etc. but sure enough, the general public does. 4th degree in my art is not that easy to obtain, while in others it might be... I would treat each person with as much respect, however I will only really know the capabilities of the one in my style.

12. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Perhaps an instructor should not grade his own students past green belt?

Raz

13. chrispillertkd

Why not?

Pax,

Chris

14. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Because, or so it seems, we all acknowledge the quality of TKD is being diluted.
    If you are grading your own students its like marking your own work. You want your students to stay, you want your club to have members, for profit or for the sake of a big club.

Failing your students= less likely to stay
    Passing students =More likely to stay

Have a fellow instructor in your org grade your students, and make it randomly assigned by the org.

If you train your students well why the worry?
    Raz

P.S Green belt was suggested due to the meaning of green belt, it could be blue or w.e...

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I certainly wouldn't equate a BB in Kuk Sool to one in Judo BJJ or TKD, no. :)

Mitch

16. chrispillertkd

Do you think it would go over better if you brought someone in who has no regular contact with your students and have them issue the failing grades? I don't. I'd rather have someone who sees me train day in and day out tell me, "Sorry, you didn't pass. In fact, I told you that you weren't ready in the first place so you should have known better than to test."

But that's just me :)

I've seen many schools bring in outside testers, but that's usually for black belt tests (at least more often it is for them). I've seen people fail at tests of all levels, gup and dan. IMO, the best thing to do is 1) have the students go through a pre-test so you as the instructor and they as the student know when and if they are actually ready to test, 2) tell them from day one that failing is a very real possibility, and 3) have a technical standard and hold people to it.

YMMV, of course.

Pax,

Chris

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

(YMMV?)

If you told someone they were not ready to grade and they went ahead, well there loss is their own fault, so i would not be worrying about their feelings.

I never said the other instructor would be the one handing out the fails/passes, when i was working my way to 1st Dan, I never got told on the same day if I passed or failed,always the class after, maybe this is not normal practise.

I agree, with 1,2&3 however I think they can work with also bringing in examiner's from the same organisation.

I think this would help encourage the community grow also.

Raz

I should stress however I'm clearly not an instructor only a 1st dan, so perhaps some instructors can offer their opinion,(4th and above)

Raz

18. chrispillertkd

Your mileage may vary. In other words, your experience may be different.

Heh, well, if my instructor tells people they're not ready to test they don't get to in the first place since he's the one doing the testing of his own students :) I was really just exaggerating to show that an instructor who tests his own students can be pretty clear who can and can't test in the first place and so there shouldn't be a question of people leaving over their test results in the first place.

But if someone else is coming in to do the test they are the ones deciding who passes and fails. If they're not the ones doing so then they didn't administer a test in the first place, or the instructor decided to override their decision, in which case their presence was superfluous. It doesn't matter if your instructor informs you of the result of the test, if you pass the tester who came in was the one failing you.

Oh, sure. But my point was that if you do those things in the first place the chances of students testing when they aren't ready decreases drastically and, therefore, so does the possibility of them quitting because they failed a test.

How so?

Pax,

Chris

19. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I like having an external examiner come in and grade my students. I feel it provides an element of quality control (he grades all the clubs in my area) and removes any hint of bias on my part.

I understand Chris's point and can see why some prefer it, but for me I like the impartiality of an external examiner and the extra pressure it brings to gradings.

Your Mileage May Vary Razgriz (YMMV) :)

MItch

20. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Raz