palm strikes?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Adam, May 20, 2003.

1. Adam

Adam New Member

I have experimented with them a bit myself, but I don't see any combative advantages of using palm strikes over fist strikes, except maybe for saving the knuckles abuse and sending shock waves into heavily muscled opponents. When should a palm strike be used, if at all?

2. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

You can definitely save yourself some damage compared to punching I guess, but considering I don't train them or like the technique much, that's all IMO.

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I have used them, quite successfully, on the head (front, back and sides) and found that besides saving your knuckles they can do a wonderfully job of rattling you opponent's brain thereby stunning them and giving you the time and opening for a finishing attack. Also reccomended if you are chasing someone, instead of tackling them, palm strike to the back at the shoulder blades.
    All strikes have their advantages and dis-advantages. Palm strikes can save your knuckles, save you from broken bones, and give more of a shock "wave" to your opponent.

My opinion, your's may differ.

4. Mike Flanagan

Mike Flanagan Valued Member

They definitely reduce the risk of injury to yourself if you're striking to the head - all those bony projections and 'armour' plating. I find it a good tool for striking the side of the head. Also good for striking the occiput - the heel of the palm fits very snugly into the space between the occiput, the trapezius muscle and the sternocleimastoid muscle.

Mike

5. bbcb_98

bbcb_98 New Member

I have pretty small hands and have already broken two fingers (not from MA though). Making a good strong fist is a little harder for me than most. I like palm strikes since like Mike said above its less dangerous on the hands. Hard to keep fighting if the weapons are damaged (adrenaline probably takes over in a real fight but I wouldnt know) I doubt in a real situtation I would think about using one over the but if I could I would go for the palm (knife hands to the throat and neck area are also good). Hard to beat upercuts to the chin though.

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

An upwards vertical Palm heel strike to the nose or chin immediately followed by tiger claw style downwards rake across the eyes and face.

I find in self defence work that its quicker to grab after a palm heel than a punch.

7. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I would say a palm works good coming underneath the chin.

Did you ever use it in a circular motion? Instead of hitting like a punching motion try this.

Imagine your arm is like a trains wheels, bringing it back and forth in a dropping motion. You should drop the strike when you hit and hit with the inside of you wrist just like the palm strike.

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Think about it.

You've got the two main bones of the forearm (Radius and Ulna) connecting with the target. Better still, a nice cushion of flesh to stop any bone on bone impact.

One of those rare occasions, when I can say I've used it on the street. Straight to the forehead, snapping the guys head back with the first, and dropping him with the second.

9. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

I use palm strike over punches 6/10, I am not sure why, it just feels more natural for me.

10. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

used palm strikes, as lethal as punches. anyways i dunno who said this but this is i believe too
    "it's better going hard against soft n soft against hard"
    -TkdWarrior-

11. Adam

Adam New Member

Hmm. Well, I must be doing them wrong then. When i punch, I aim for fractures to bones and penetration power, not shock energy, hence I feel the fist strike is better.
    Do you think there are any use for palm strikes on the body? So far you've only talked about the head.

12. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yeah, as has been mentioned before if your going in for a grab, give them a palm to the body to wind/shock them. Such is the power of atemi! ;)

13. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Sure there are;

Sternum to shock the heart.

Solar Plexus to wind.

Rib Cage can be broken

Floating Rib, snapped and/or pushed into internals

Kidneys is sickening

Spine, my chiropractor uses the heel of the hand as opposed to a fist to re-align vertebrae.

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've been on the receiving end of a "low lying palm" to the floating ribs. We were working applications of the 1st section of the Mook Jong form

I thought I was going to die.

Last edited: May 21, 2003
  15. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Here you go!

Best reason!

THE LAW

In the eyes of the law it looks a lot better than a clenched fist, as it shows control there for making it easier to prove it was not a strike in anger hence a clenched fist!!

Hope this is a good reason for you

SONSHU

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

If you want my raving honest opinion, I think the law is crazy in this respect. A punch requires much more training and preparation. I think a lot depends on your guy- someone about my weight, maybe slightly over and i'd do it.

17. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

No anyone can throw a punch

I punch is an act of anger and agression where as a palm strike shows restraint in the eyes of the law.

Also it tends to do less damage (visable) anyway. It is a difficult call but if you palm strike the guy its easier to class it as I raised my hand and said stop, the fact that you twatted the guy is irrelevant!

It just looks better - especially if you should stop or get off!

SONSHU

18. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

All this 'talk' about palm strikes gets my juices going.... I WANNA STRIKE SOMETHING... a sternum, rib cage, chin ... no not the kidneys :eek: .....

eh..... the only ocassion I've actually "used" the strike is in board breaks.... I'm too much of a wuss to use a punch!:rolleyes: