Pakistan's Bhutto assassinated

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Davey Bones, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

The rest of the article can be found here. Note this is a developing story...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22406555/?gt1=10645

2. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Bloody hell!

This is very bad news.

3. Hiroji

It's crazy, when will all this stuff stop.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  4. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

5. soyez efficaces

soyez efficaces Valued Member

its confirmed

watching it develop on BBC News at the moment.

real shocker even though she had clearly stated many times how she knew her life was in danger. Not good for Pakistan. Expect a Bin Laden video to follow.

paul

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

BBC news online put up her obituary 30 minutes ago.

Sad news indeed.

7. soyez efficaces

sad indeed

This is a major blow for the morale of Pakistan and for the democractic movement there. Mushariff will have to ensure the process for elections continues unabted.

losing a high profile figure in the war against terror is a massive blow for the region.

paul

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

She died from two bullet wounds as far as I'm aware - one to the neck and the other to the head. Pakistan is in the **** now. God knows what's going to happen next.

9. Hiroji

Not only did the suicide bomber kill Bhutto, but around 20 other people when he decided to blow himself up.

It seems some members of humanity are starting the reverse evolution period of civilisation before others. Very sad.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Wow. I can't say it's not like I didn't expect this to happen though... I think she new this was a very real possibility when decided to return.

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about human evolution or the regression thereof though. Suicide bombings are part and parcel in a country like Pakistan. It's been a hotbed of militant Islam for quite some time. A blind has been turned for a very long time to the Sauidi's investing heavily in the madrassas there turn out droves of young, ignorant and militant youths who are prime picking for militant Islamic grouprs.

The US knows this and yet actively supports president Pervez Musharraf anyhow. I think it was rather foolhardy for Benazir Bhuto to waltz in there and expect that anything other than this would happen.

11. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

She showed remarkable courage in returning to Pakistan knowing that she had a bulls eye on her. Pakistan is a politically fractured country on a good day so this is certainly a step backwards. It will be interesting to see how events unfold after this. Return to state of emergency? Martial law?

12. slipthejab

I'd imagine that it will be business as usual.

13. Hiroji

It's just such a waste of life.

Not just hers, but the young people who are drawn into it as waste their lives too, its very sad.

It's like a whole different world. A part of me wants to just say, why don’t they all just chill out, have a beer and have a laugh on the boxing game on a Wii.

But like ive said, its a whole different world and upbringing.

It seems to me that a lot of hatred, particularly religious hatred is deeply rooted in the past. The things that have happened in the past are never left forgotten, the young people have religious and historical brainwashing and that makes it hard for humanity to move on. I’m no history expert or anything, it just seems that way.

14. soyez efficaces

part of life

to think that in many societies, this sort of thing happens on a daily basis and people accept it as part of life. The dominino effect from the US war on terror is far reaching and will be around for a very long time yet.

this really is a major blow for the good guys...us

paul

15. soyez efficaces

I don't know lot about God but I know he wouldn't approve

no mate, you don't have to be history professor to know that. I agree what you say. To think that such people pray to a God that surely must condemm such violence??.

paul

16. slipthejab

Is it really? :confused:
    The US has been backing Musharraf for a very long time. They have continually dumped money into miniature dictators in Pakistan to the tune of millions and millions of US dollars... and weapons and technology and training. The US have consistently chosen NOT to support democratically elected politicians and leaders in places like Pakistan.

Before we get ahead of ourselves here it's important to realize that General Pervez Musharraf seized power from the elected prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, in 1999, named himself president in 2001, and renewed his term for five years in a controversial referendum in April 2002.

All of which the American government was, if not complicit, was absolutely supportive of and jumped on board whole heartedly dumping in money on top of money and allowing Musharraf to thrive.

Why would the death of Benazir Bhutto all of a sudden be a bad thing for the apparently self labeled 'good guys'? :confused:

It's a nice tidy little guarantee on their investment of American taxpayer dollars in a military dictatorship in Pakistan.

I think you guys are really going for the melodrama on this one... but it'd better to stick with the facts.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  17. soyez efficaces

Fair points. Its a blow because she spoke out against terrorism in probably one of the most dangerous places in the world to do so. Musharraf is the lesser of two evils in my book and he needs to come together now and hold his country together. The guy probably has one of the most dangerous jobs in the world today.

paul

18. slipthejab

I hear that. It's not a place where I think anyone who's going into politics is going to get very far unless you are very wealthy and very willing to resort to violence on a regular basis.

I'm not so sure I'd count him as the lesser side of the evil equation. He definitely has a line to walk... on one hand he needs the money and the support of the US... on the other hand he can't entirely alienate the parts of his country that want nothing to do with the US or the western world.

19. Hiroji

When it comes to politics the world over, im starting to think there really is no good guys.

...Have i been a little late in noticing that!?

20. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

This is bad...I wonder if elections will still be held?