ouch!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by chrispy, Jun 13, 2006.

1. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

Well it took nearly 3 years, but I finally got myself more than a monir injury at karate.

Oh sure I've twisted my knee a bit before, and sprained my thumb or got a charliehorse before but last friday was different.

All week in the adult class Monday and wednesday that is we did throws, sacrifice throws that is, and those two classes I was working witha guy about my height though not as big on monday and a guy about 4-5 inches taller and about the same build on wednesday everything went fine. I punched tey blocked and turned and grabbed and gave my arm a tug and I did nice smooth front rools out of it like clockwork. I knew what to do to not get hurt, they knew what to do to propel me.

Then friday and BBM class Aside from myself and one other guy all the other Black Belt Memebrs (which is free for us not a money grab) are like 10-15 years old, I dunno if thorws are something that you just "get" whne you are older or something but a lot of the kids were having a hard time gettign it, so Sensei and I would work with them in pairs untill they got it.

When they were shown a couple time you could see the lights go on and they would understand a bit better and all that, but then I worked with a kid, Sam, and i tossed a punch at her and she did the first 3/4 of the throw, the only problem was that as she dropped she let go of my Gi instead of tugging on it... and up to that point I was busy saying things like "that's right" "good" "you got it now" but when she did everything except the tug I didn't roll over far enough.

So instead of a nice smooth roll, I landed straight down on my shoulder, it made a loud crunching sound (or it seemed like it) and I layed on the mat for a moment. Turns out is wasn't seperated, or dislocated, but the doctor said I was lucky for that.

The moral of the story is, if kids are throwing you, wait until you have taken care of yourself landing safely before you tell them they are doing a good job. :)

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Kids are vicious. They're always at that height just to kick you right where it hurts...

3. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

it's when they hit you in certain places it gets a bit difficult to explain why it's kinda rude...
    but i agree, kids can be vicious, sorry to hear about your injury, but if it's not dislocated or anything, it should heal fairly quickly. Good luck

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Not to defend kids, but many of them do not have the knowledge or understanding of that which you are teaching. I see it with my son and his demo team training. The kid is nine and some of the moves are highly advanced. All the kids love to flip around, roll, throw, you know, show off. Many of them have no idea why they make the move, how and why the move is made in a certain manner, AND (most important I think) doing throws without controlling your partner will lead to accidents. Having been a gymnast and thus the main rag doll in the dojang, I know when someone does a lock or throw or take down and does it well. Kids are usually afraid of causing pain, release too early or too late, or try to show off. Sorry about your injury, kids are totally out of control sometimes. Use every chance you can to teach them they control the situation and they have a responsibility to their partners to do things in the right way to avoid injury. :Angel:

5. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

i totally get what you mean, some kid kept puching me in the chest, mind you he was only about 6 so it didnt hurt that much, but in the end i had to say "punch to the belt knot!"

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

i can see where you are coming from narcsarge about people doing good throws, you can see the difference (and feel it) between someone who is scared of hurting people and someone who just gets on with it.
    i find if my instructor throws me i land in the perfect breakfall position, without having to do much (even though i know it wouldnt be like that in a real fight).
    but i had a woman throwing me the other day who was like "oh, i dont want to hurt you" and i was just standing there saying "im going to breakfall, you wont hurt me, trust me", well she dropped me in mid air and i just kinda landed flat on my back. i winded myself self even thoug i had breakfalled lol
    my instructor came over when i was just lying there on the floor and said "you alright there christina?" i was just like "oh, yeah, sure, didnt hurt a bit" lol

7. PopeCoyote

PopeCoyote The words of the fool

I find that depending on the kid's maturity level, you can explain some of the reasons to them. For us, we don't have kids do the throw completely until either tournament training or brown belt level. At the brown belt level, they have enough experience falling that they understand a bit more about doing the technique properly. For tournament, they work extensively with a set partner on 3 specific techniques/throws (which for juniors are set by head instructors of the school)