option after roundhouse

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by AsSaSiN, Sep 4, 2003.

1. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

If you miss the rear legged roundhouse, what option is there? i know you can use the spinning elbow, or a backfist, both offensive techniques, but i have also seen more defensive techniues such as an immediate lead elbow to knee block. ideas?

2. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I am assuming you followed through with the kick even if you miss. In that case you should be back in your same stance and facing the same position, your apponent.

At least this is the position I end up in sometimes. I usually bring my knee up to my elbow at the end of a kick just in case the apponent tries a roundhouse themselves. Then you are back at square one..

If your apponent manages to catch your kick, he may try to push you back with his free hand somewhere on your chest or shoulder area while holding your leg. If you can grab his neck You can pull youself in closer like you are going for the clinch. Then you can try to push your caught leg back down to the ground. If you manage that, then you can knee him as you like.

Just one option of many.

3. AsSaSiN

AsSaSiN New Member

yes that is true. So you could go straight into the clinch if your leg is caught. I was thinking of following through with a heel kick, i have seen this done in a few thai videos, also kickboxing. Sokklab i undersstand you are taught this technique as standard in muay boran. Khunb Kao, Thaiboxr2, do you also learn this kick?

4. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I'm not familiar with the heel kick. At present, my skill is limited to about 8 months worth of thia boxing. I'm just starting to learn the spinning lead elbow and throwing the side knee.
    So some techniques are new or have not been shown yet. I'm still learning.

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

thats what i do if i miss with a roundhouse i set it down as fast as possible then bring it right back up to his face.
    or you can do it for a fake.

6. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

Sort of like a front kick or a foot jab to the face. I see.

Sometimes if I miss miss a roundhouse, I would try one with the opposite leg immediately or try a low roundhouse to attempt to sweep them.

Or fake a foot jab to land a jab and cross.(this works pretty well for me)

If you miss the right side roundhouse, do a switch stance ATTEMPT the left roundhouse, but throw a punch to the face instead.( in other words, you are faking the second kick to land a punch)

I had a class last night, Managed to pull these off during sparring rounds!

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

all good ideas

8. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Once the leg goes over best option to keep opponent off balance is to throw a spinning back fist this covers the open back and allows you to return to ready stance...
    though even better would be to drop it as in turn it into a full round down kick as in when you kick well above head height then slam it practicay straight donw( when positioned above persons neck/shoulder area ) cuts time in half and makes combatant re-position themselves hopefully giving you a safe transition to ready stance......

9. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

here's a nice one...after a missed round house (or one that scores), follow up with a flying or jumping knee.
    -or-
    you miss the roundhouse...immediately follow up with a spinning back kick (Chorake Faad Hang)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2003