Opening your guard

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Slindsay, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Hi guys,

Quick question here that might lead to some long answers.

Do you guys open you guard before isolating the person in your guards arms? I'm asking because I find that if my opponent has a hand free he tends to pop down the leg on that side and drive his knee through to pass over the top.

Obviously that doesn't happen every-time I open up my guard but it's frequent enough that I typically will not open my guard till I either have some control over both my opponents arms or have heavily broken his posture in some way.

What are peoples opinions on this, should I be opening my guard faster and attempting to break their posture with my legs from there or is the approach I adopt a reasonable one?

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I open my guard when someone is about to pop it open anyways - I like my guard to be opened on my terms rather than theirs. I probably need to take into account what you are saying and figure out how to get some control when I open.

I also open my guard when I'm trying to apply a submission or sweep, but that's generally when I have the upper body down and I have my weight on them. I usually reach across and grab the opposite delt, or get head and hand control, or something like that.