oooh the agony

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dave Humm, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Went to my first keiko in just over 10 months of being away (due to being over seas) and boy to I know about it today !!

Must be an age thing LOL

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

IT'S NOT THE AGE IT'S THE MILAGE.

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

and he has been around the clock a few times !!

Lol!!

Takes 2 days to recover now you are over 40 !!

Smurf:woo:

4. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Welcome back Dave. I used to enjoy your views. I see you have switched from your last affiliation.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Serving Queen and Country
    Respect to you

6. Dave Humm

Affiliation.. as in style; yeah, time for me at the moment is a big issue so I'm unable to dig-in on a regular basis so I'm training as and when I can in Lincoln.

When I got back from Basra earlier this year I said I wasn't going to study aikido again - water under the bridge, suffice to say I'd had enough however, having spoken to the instructor I chose to give it a go again but this time not go any further than study (rather than teach).

My serious interest rests in iai and kendo, both of which I was involved in before going overseas.

Dave

7. macker

macker Valued Member

Its great to see you back. Glad you kept safe while you were away.

8. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

What a shame it would be if you gave up Aikido Dave,youve been studying for a long while and have a good knowledge of the art.

What worries me, is that there have been a few senior ranked aikidoka who have written on this site who have given up. I think this shows that there is something wrong with our various associations. or lets say some of the people running them.

9. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

[
    What worries me, is that there have been a few senior ranked aikidoka who have written on this site who have given up. I think this shows that there is something wrong with our various associations. or lets say some of the people running them.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure the problem is only with the associations.

Maybe some older Aikidoka become a little "stuck in their ways" and are unable to progress, or maybe they feel they should be a higher rank (ego rising) or perhaps they feel "threatened " by new up & coming instructors.

Alternatively maybe they just get bored after 30 or 40 years (which may be related to all of the above).

10. Dave Humm

Phil,

I'm sure there are several reasons, none of which I guess are particularly new to discussion.

I hope you and the UKA are doing well and looking forward to the Doshu's visit next year.

Dave

11. Dave Humm

Thanks mate and please say hello to the big man next time you see him, congratulations all round me thinks...

:cool:

12. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I'm not sure the problem is only with the associations.

Maybe some older Aikidoka become a little "stuck in their ways" and are unable to progress, or maybe they feel they should be a higher rank (ego rising) or perhaps they feel "threatened " by new up & coming instructors.

Alternatively maybe they just get bored after 30 or 40 years (which may be related to all of the above).[/QUOTE]

After neally 35 years of practice I still enjoy Aikido as much now as I did when I started. I was very lucky to have an instructor who kept my interest going for years. I cant imagine my life without aikido in it. I can imagine that without the support of a good instructor and just doing the same thing each week can become boring.

This is not a pop at any association, I just find it sad when an Aikidoka who holds yudansha rank walks away from the art.

13. sakumeikan

sakumeikan Valued Member

Hi,
    On the question of senior grades retiring from Aikido afer many years the reasons can / may be all of the aforementioned by Phil Smith.Other issues can be related to the ageing process itself, coupled with possible joint problems.I also think that aikido when all is said and done can be boring.The constant repetition of Kihon Waza is like eating a plain meal every day.The trick of course is to consider each waza with the mind or attitude of a novice ie Shoshin.I also feel that as an senior it is my obligation to put something back into the Art.If it had not been for the work done by earlier senior students/teachers [some now sadly deceased eg Mr Smith, Mick Holloway, Ralph Reynolds, George Girvan, Ken Cottier] the younger Aikido generation may well be less skilled .The fact that senior guys do call it a day does beg the question -WHY?

14. Dave Humm

That's the sixty four million dollar question, every single one of which will never be the same